Oak Ridge vs Campbell County

CardinalGrey

9 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

1986 comes to my mind when I see this team, not meaning it badly, but the similarities are there.  86 was a pretty good defensive team, Les Jones was a great linebacker and we played good Bruce Lussier defense, but offensively, we never could score much, lack of skill at certain offensive positions was the reason.  In 86 we went 4-6 and lost to Clinton 18-14. We didn't make the playoffs (there was only one team going then).  The schedule was very tough in 86, opening at Jefferson County, and also having Kingsport on the schedule and I think Brentwood Academy also.  The season ended with a big win over Campbell County.  The following year we did a little better but got destroyed at Jefferson County in the playoffs 51-0 and that ended the Bill Young era.  Enter Joe Gaddis and the 88 season was a 10-0 start with a playoff loss to a talented Oakland team. The point is that it can turn around quickly.  Fast forward to this team, a tough loss to Hardin Valley on a messed up night with a break for a hurricane. HVA got one big run and a short field touchdown and the Oak Ridge offense only found the end zone once, my guess is we beat HVA if we played later in the season, but that's the way the schedule falls. Then the 41-6 loss to Kingsport DB, which as my friends up there told me had the best defense they have had in several years, that contained our offense for the most part and allowed their offense, which is very efficient, to march up and down the field and wear down our defense.  Like 86, sure is.  Now comes 2-0 Campbell County team, thanks to the Price brothers, no longer the dormat, no longer a sure win. They use a very wide open passing offense, which can keep them in games if you don't get them off the field.  The key to the game is our offense, they must be able to run the football, grind up clock, keep the Cougar defense on the field and score touchdowns, keeping our defense off the field. A win turns us back in the right direction and also is a Region win, we really need this one.  Think of this too, we lost Jordan Graham, Jeremy Mitchell, Kai Reese Pendergrass and Herbert Booker off last years team, they were responsible for the majority of points scored, on both sides of the ball.  LIke 86 when we lost Eric Thomas, Alfred Jones, and lots of skill guys off the 85 team. That's where we are, now lets go play.

Gaddis said exactly the same thing last night on TV (about the key to the game being the offense and keeping our defense off the field). He said they were on the field much too long in both of the first two games.

12 hours ago, IanMackaye said:

Are you sure? TSSAA lists the school at about 1400 students. That’s an average of 350 kids per grade. I can’t remember OR ever being bigger than that.

Yes, I’m absolutely positively sure. OR is nowhere near as big as a school as it once was. When I was there in the middle 90s we had approximately 1650 students there. It’s gotten down into the low 1300s the past 10 years and that’s including freshmen in there too. Freshmen didn’t start being included until around ‘97.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Netmom said:

Without question, the first two losses hurt.

That said, I could see a big improvement between weeks 1 and 2; if we've kept that up, tonight's game could be very different.

RWR!

I thought the first half was the same as week one...poor offense and pretty good defense. In the second half, I actually saw a little offense...nothing to write home about but an improvement. We have major improvement to still make and apparently injuries to overcome....I hope we're up to the task before us!

RWR!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WildcatRealist said:

The winner of this game is likely the #4 seed out of Region 2 at season's end, with a road trip to Rhea County looming in the first round of the playoffs. OUCH...HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN.

I was thinking the same thing with still a shot at the # 3 seed. Now, the rest of your post makes me wonder why? Why take a shot at the football players you support?

RWR! You Got All of This Tonight Wildcats!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I was thinking the same thing with still a shot at the # 3 seed. Now, the rest of your post makes me wonder why? Why take a shot at the football players you support?

RWR! You Got All of This Tonight Wildcats!

You need to rethink your post Willie. You're a great guy but everyone isn't like you, not by a long shot.  The so called "wildcatrealist" doesn't support the players or any part of the OR football program. He supports his own agenda which is to be as negative as he can possibly be. Unfortunately for him, that's the only thing that he's good at. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bonkers said:

You need to rethink your post Willie. You're a great guy but everyone isn't like you, not by a long shot.  The so called "wildcatrealist" doesn't support the players or any part of the OR football program. He supports his own agenda which is to be as negative as he can possibly be. Unfortunately for him, that's the only thing that he's good at. 

I get what you are saying Bonk. Thank you. 

You are a great Wildcat, too.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:42 AM, WillieTheWildcats said:

Who wants to watch some Campbell County Football?

Go to     1450wlaf.com

Scroll down to the Orange Cougar Paw

Look for these words    It's Game Day!  WATCH     Click on the word Watch, it is a link

Look on Left side and Click   Full Schedule & Archives

Select to watch the Cocke County game then the Carter game

I am pretty sure the Oak Ridge game will be shown live on Roku TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Facebook. Maybe on the 1450wlaf.com site as well. If wanting to watch on Facebook try going to FB and search for WLAF 1450 AM, 100.9 FM, TV Channel 12, Honey bee. Look for the game there. 

* WARNING...if you don't go to the game and for some reason it doesn't get shown online don't blame me. I have done my best finding this stuff.

OH, I DO HAVE some more Campbell County football video. I have their Kick Off Classic scrimmage against Austin East. Poor video quality though. A Preseason Wrap up video that is 5: 00  minutes long and includes some of the CCHS vs Knox. Central scrimmage. Another video is a 2019 Hype Video that is 1:00 minute long. I just figured the Cocke County and Carter game video was enough. Watch the Carter game to the end, it is a doozie as time runs out.

Just a reminder for those of us who have moved away from Oak Ridge but still love to watch the Cats.