Oak Ridge vs Campbell County

CardinalGrey

13 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Well said. People are going a bit overboard with the whole Oak Ridge doesn’t have good teams anymore shenanigans. We have had plenty of quality teams since the end of the Cold War, that’s just silly. In the 90s we had Riverdale to contend with. Those same teams would still probably be winning titles if they were playing today. That’s how good they were. Before 2013 we had to contend with Maryville. We gave Maryville all they wanted in 10 & 12 and gave them a few tough games in the regular season from 09-12 too. Who else beat Maryville during that time? Yeah, not many. 

We lost to freaking Karns in 1986 and went I think 3-7 and everyone thought that was the end. We had a few awful years in the Stevens era and everyone thought that was the end, but nope, we always get back on the winning path eventually. Oak Ridge is far from done. We still have quite a bit of talent and credit to us, 98% of the kids are born and raised here, so you’re gonna have down periods every now and again in a smaller town like here, along with there not being very many younger kids as a whole in OR. It’s mainly an old folks town for the most part. We may be down for now, but we ain’t out.

Sorry, SS. My original comment was a bit tongue and cheek. Oak Ridge is still a great town/community, and I enjoy working there. While the makeup of Oak Ridge has definitely changed since the Cold War ended, the school and the football program have continued to thrive. I'm sure the team won't be down for long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Sorry, SS. My original comment was a bit tongue and cheek. Oak Ridge is still a great town/community, and I enjoy working there. While the makeup of Oak Ridge has definitely changed since the Cold War ended, the school and the football program have continued to thrive. I'm sure the team won't be down for long.

Sorry, Nut. I didn’t mean to direct all of that towards you. You are right in a lot of ways that the makeup of the city has changed, there’s no denying that. The school was much bigger when I was going there, not even 25 years ago yet. All I’m saying is we still have plenty of talent to go around and we are still very much in the running most every year. Yeah, that talent may not be as dominant as it once was, but there’s still aplenty to be a really good team most years.

Congratulations on your boys (Powell) having a really good season so far this year. They have a really nice looking team who has the ability to go pretty far. I just hope we can improve a lot by the time we play y’all so we can at least be competitive. Have a good day brother.

20 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Well said. People are going a bit overboard with the whole Oak Ridge doesn’t have good teams anymore shenanigans. We have had plenty of quality teams since the end of the Cold War, that’s just silly. In the 90s we had Riverdale to contend with. Those same teams would still probably be winning titles if they were playing today. That’s how good they were. Before 2013 we had to contend with Maryville. We gave Maryville all they wanted in 10 & 12 and gave them a few tough games in the regular season from 09-12 too. Who else beat Maryville during that time? Yeah, not many. 

We lost to freaking Karns in 1986 and went I think 3-7 and everyone thought that was the end. We had a few awful years in the Stevens era and everyone thought that was the end, but nope, we always get back on the winning path eventually. Oak Ridge is far from done. We still have quite a bit of talent and credit to us, 98% of the kids are born and raised here, so you’re gonna have down periods every now and again in a smaller town like here, along with there not being very many younger kids as a whole in OR. It’s mainly an old folks town for the most part. We may be down for now, but we ain’t out.

You said it even better.I think around those yrs around 10 and 12 was when we was playing up a class.Cant remember how long we did that.We haven't had a non talented team like this one in a really long time.Oak Ridge has made many upgrades in the program and the city as a whole.There is a lot of old folks so I only see the town getting younger in the future and even more kids to pick from.It drives me crazy when people act like Oak Ridge don't have talent anymore.Heck the basketball team was one of the best in the nation a few yrs ago and all Oak Ridgers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

There is a lot of old folks so I only see the town getting younger in the future and even more kids to pick from.

That's a very real problem that the city of Oak Ridge and the chamber of commerce are actively trying to address, but it isn't as simple as slapping a coat of paint on the side of a building and calling it a day.

The CoC has been asking young working professionals in Oak Ridge what it would take for us to raise our families in OR rather than Farragut/Hardin Valley/West Knox. I've seen the results of those surveys, and while most recognize the tremendous reputation of the schools, infrastructure issues and real estate availability are glaring problems which aren't easy to fix.

IMO, if the city was committed to new residential real estate development, the city could get younger in a hurry, especially in this economic climate. But until then, many people like me will continue to live on the other side of the Solway bridge.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

You said it even better.I think around those yrs around 10 and 12 was when we was playing up a class.Cant remember how long we did that.We haven't had a non talented team like this one in a really long time.Oak Ridge has made many upgrades in the program and the city as a whole.There is a lot of old folks so I only see the town getting younger in the future and even more kids to pick from.It drives me crazy when people act like Oak Ridge don't have talent anymore.Heck the basketball team was one of the best in the nation a few yrs ago and all Oak Ridgers.

I can't remember an OR team with this small amount of talent and speed. Heck, Campbell County, a team with very little speed year in and year out, might be as fast as OR is and way bigger. The problem is that OR is small AND slow. That isn't good at all. The last few years they've been small but they had Graham, Pendergrass, Booker, Calan, Mithchell and a few more. I think the OR vs CC game is a tossup and since it's played at CC, I would install CC as a 3 point favorite because of their speed advantage (I can't believe that I said that). I sure hope the Cats are healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bounder said:

Part of the problem with economic development , housing ...  there just isn't a bunch of land that can be made into subdivisions. The DOE still owns it. And won't let go of it and  they don't get taxed like they should, I could go on but  my coffees ready. 

I get that there is very little that can be done about the existing real estate, which is certainly outdated, or the bulk of the land that the Dept of Energy owns. Personally, I would love to see DOE release the land surrounding Clark Center Park to the city for residential development (along the river, south of Bethel Valley Road). West Oak Ridge has been eyeballed for quite some time, but the city has continuously balked at installing the infrastructure needed to support any real estate development on that side of Oak Ridge.

The two most recent residential developments in Oak Ridge (The Crossroads at Wolf Creek and The Preserve) are priced at or above comps in places like Farragut/Concord and Hardin Valley, and that is absolutely insane, especially if you are trying to attract young families. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I get that there is very little that can be done about the existing real estate, which is certainly outdated, or the bulk of the land that the Dept of Energy owns. Personally, I would love to see DOE release the land surrounding Clark Center Park to the city for residential development (along the river, south of Bethel Valley Road). West Oak Ridge has been eyeballed for quite some time, but the city has continuously balked at installing the infrastructure needed to support any real estate development on that side of Oak Ridge.

The two most recent residential developments in Oak Ridge (The Crossroads at Wolf Creek and The Preserve) are priced at or above comps in places like Farragut/Concord and Hardin Valley, and that is absolutely insane, especially if you are trying to attract young families. 

That's a great idea. Would you please run for the city council?

5 hours ago, bonkers said:

I can't remember an OR team with this small amount of talent and speed. Heck, Campbell County, a team with very little speed year in and year out, might be as fast as OR is and way bigger. The problem is that OR is small AND slow. That isn't good at all. The last few years they've been small but they had Graham, Pendergrass, Booker, Calan, Mithchell and a few more. I think the OR vs CC game is a tossup and since it's played at CC, I would install CC as a 3 point favorite because of their speed advantage (I can't believe that I said that). I sure hope the Cats are healthy.

The city is old. Lots of the facilities (home side stands, horrible dressing rooms, press  box) are old. Your coach is old. Oak Ridge's football achievements are old. Their loyal fans are old and stuck in past glory. Oak Ridge football is irrelevant...