Father Ryan

PurpleReign74

Purplereign have you attempted to air your grievances with Rector? The AD? 

As for your complaints on here I am in no way connected to Rector or FR. Just an outsiders perspective here. If Rector and staff were winning would you still air your complaints on here? Would you question schemes? Has the staff ever had the team watch film? Do players have access to hudl? How was Rectors state championship at Ravenwood a fluke? 

I'm just curious so I can get a better understanding of where you are coming from. 

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Purplereign have you attempted to air your grievances with Rector? The AD? 

As for your complaints on here I am in no way connected to Rector or FR. Just an outsiders perspective here. If Rector and staff were winning would you still air your complaints on here? Would you question schemes? Has the staff ever had the team watch film? Do players have access to hudl? How was Rectors state championship at Ravenwood a fluke? 

I'm just curious so I can get a better understanding of where you are coming from. 

Thanks for responding.  I’ll try to be clear in my answers.

1) It is made very clear that Coach Rector and staff won’t answer questions.  I certainly don’t blame him for that “rule”.  It is always dicey to air frustration in season.  However, there are a few of us that will sit down with the interim AD after the season. 

2) If the culture was different, kids were being coached and we were losing, there would be no complaints.  The issue is the coaches don't have the team prepared.  That is just obvious if you watch the games.  Also, not an entirely fair question.  I’m sure Nick Saban, Dabo, Quarles and Rankin had a few fans that would like to see things done differently.  However, it’s hard to argue with consistent success.

3) I will always question something that doesn’t work.  Why in the world wouldn’t you? If you can’t alter your “scheme” based on your talent, you shouldn’t be coaching.  Is this a really far fetched idea?

4) They rarely watch film together as position groups.  Yes, they have Hudl access.  I also have access to law books but I don’t know how to practice law.  A clear understanding of how to analyze film, at this level, is essential to success.  This is especially true if your talent isn’t at the level of your competition.

5) As far as his State Championship goes....It is definitely an accomplishment.  I think the more important question is whether or not he developed inferior talent over time or did he have exceptional athletes in one or two classes.  There are a lot of coaches, at all levels, that win a championship (or have success) and then are never heard of again.  Charlie Weis and Phillip Fulmer come to mind.  Why was Fulmer out of coaching less than a decade after a National Championship?  It wasn’t because he wanted to retire.

6) I love it that you are interested in FR Football and want a “better understanding” around this topic.  Is there a better forum than CoachT in Tennessee to air high school sports frustrations?  

Purplereign thank you for responding. I have a better understanding of your take. Let me respond to your statements. 

1. I agree a coach should not discuss schematics or issues such as playing time. However, if I felt my son was being mistreated I would have a discussion and expect a response. Might not be the response I would like but still a response. If I really felt strong enough I would pull my son off the team. 

2. I think it is a relevant question. Maybe not fair but relevant. As for the likes of highly successful coaches being questioned, there are plenty of examples of coaches that were successful being let go at all levels. I would think that if anything bad was happening the people in power would strongly encourage a different approach. 

3. I agree.

4. I understand your point of watching and breaking down film. I agree to a certain extent. It really depends on your team. In some cases you could show a kid all the film you want and he will still be lost or he will still make the same plays he normally would. Some kids are more of the kinesthetic learning types. I'm not sure what type of kids FR has but it could be that the coaches decided practice was more important use of time than film review. 

5. I think Ravenwood won because they had coachable kids scattered with just enough athletes that made plays and everyone bought in. Just my opinion though. As for Weis and Fulmer, I think Weis could have had other opportunities but I believe his health was a factor. And I would say Fulmer is doing just fine. 

6. Yes this is a great way to communicate with others. I'm just a HS football fan that grew up in Nashville area. This thread got my interest.