Rebs go down Pelladega two Farrah-gut

STARSNBARS

41 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There is no way under the sun that 226 yards in a game at Maryville could be the record or those records weren't kelp until just a few years ago. I seriously doubt they have any of the records on such a feat because I can show anyone at least 20 wrong scores from the past in the football program. Instead of scores from the past they should say Myths from the Past. Also Maryville says football since 1926 because they have a picture of that 1926 team except they did have a team in 1924 and 25 which shows up on Everett's scores and other teams also that I have found. Just no one around from those day left to tell us about it. That's why I don't pay attention to all time records because most are wrong due to no one was keeping a tally sheet back in those days. The newspapers sucked back in those days kind of like the News Sentinel does today with no scores the following day after the games that thousands of people attended the night before. They want to focus on Jeremy Pruitt and if he had a bowel movement yesterday or what LOSER quit the football team that sets on the bench and how bad that will hurt us.

I think MHS and Maryville Polytechnic should be a combined record. That would put us over 1,000. Some of the schools listed on the official record are off too. The records might be incomplete, but they are not padded. I think they are shorted. 

46 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There is no way under the sun that 226 yards in a game at Maryville could be the record or those records weren't kelp until just a few years ago. 

35 minutes ago, rebelwoman87 said:

For a single player. The record was held by Coach Hicks from the Symrna game in 1995 with 212 yards. Parker had 227 Friday night. 

Barn, with the wishbone, they spread the ball around to four players. 

ImaginaryPleasingHammerkop-size_restrict

Edited by Red Rebels

13 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Barn, with the wishbone, they spread the ball around to four players. 

ImaginaryPleasingHammerkop-size_restrict

Up until recent years, GQ (and the Rebels) used a two back set and the ball was shared between the backs.  In today's one back sets, Prevo would have had much bigger single game numbers.  He split a lot a carries with several different backs during his tenure.  Carl Stewart, Chris McCord, Michael Potter, and a lot of other really good backs, split carries because of the two back set.

Congrats to Parker McGill!  Still a huge feat!

Edited by OldRebel2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rebelwoman87 said:

For a single player. The record was held by Coach Hicks from the Symrna game in 1995 with 212 yards. Parker had 227 Friday night. 

All I know is the paper had 226 yards, maybe someone went in and added up all the inches and made a yardstick out of it to get the extra yard. It may well be the record but I do know they weren't well kept just like the scores in the program.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

I think MHS and Maryville Polytechnic should be a combined record. That would put us over 1,000. Some of the schools listed on the official record are off too. The records might be incomplete, but they are not padded. I think they are shorted. 

They were both in operation at the same time. We just moved to their location after they went out of business. Far as the records are concerned Bob Gilbert was the one who did the research to find all that has been found back in the 1950's.

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

All I know is the paper had 226 yards, maybe someone went in and added up all the inches and made a yardstick out of it to get the extra yard. It may well be the record but I do know they weren't well kept just like the scores in the program.

I’d say he had more than that

1 hour ago, GREYRIDERx said:

I’d say he had more than that

He may have, he also may have the record if those records are not just something that they have back into the 90's a few years which I would bet on. If they have a handful of scores that I know are wrong in the program then I'm not going to bet on their bookkeeping with stats. If I were to pick just a few players only the old heads would know that could of possibly done that would have been Steve Gilbert in 73 because I know he got a thousand yards his senior season and missed some games. Danny Spradlin had a couple of big rushing games and pretty much carried the 76 team on his shoulders in a couple of games that year. David Reed would be another off the 78 team and two players I would just about bet may have done it were Tony Fox and Tommy Johnson in 81 against Mountain City. They both rushed for a thousand yards each in the same season but they made every newspaper headline in the state the next Saturday with all the yards they ran for that night against Mountain City.

26 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Or William Blount in '80.

Fox was a farmer that lived in Greenback. (See what I did there?)

Johnson was an Eagleton kid (moved to Maryville) .

If my memory serves me right one of those two ran a mile against Mountain City. They both ran a 9.9 100 yard dash which was unheard of at the time. They actually both were the same type runner McGill is right now, not big in size and had a way to make you miss and had speed to run off and leave you setting.

35 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If my memory serves me right one of those two ran a mile against Mountain City. They both ran a 9.9 100 yard dash which was unheard of at the time. They actually both were the same type runner McGill is right now, not big in size and had a way to make you miss and had speed to run off and leave you setting.

Yeah, Tommy was fast. I ran the 100 against both. I know TJ's mom and dad real well. Family friends.