AP Poll for D2A heading into week 6

ReitzFan

The honorable mentions in D2A our bizarre to say the least. Tipton rosemark who came in at 6 has lost their last two games. DCA who is 7th, has lost two of their last three, Zion Christian does not play a region schedule and is thus not eligible 4 the playoffs gets votes. Jackson Christian School, a team who has lost two of their last three also got votes to be rated. The AP pollsters don't know what you're talkin about.

57 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

The honorable mentions in D2A our bizarre to say the least. Tipton rosemark who came in at 6 has lost their last two games. DCA who is 7th, has lost two of their last three, Zion Christian does not play a region schedule and is thus not eligible 4 the playoffs gets votes. Jackson Christian School, a team who has lost two of their last three also got votes to be rated. The AP pollsters don't know what you're talkin about.

They’re all Democrats!!:D

Edited by Intense
  • Upvote 1

Gary Parrish writes a weekly column in basketball season blasting AP voters for their lazy and inexplicable voting habits, perhaps we could do the same.

I guess there has to be some sort of ranking system, if for no other reason than to generate clicks these days. To ask a sports writer (from the tri-cities for instance) to rank small private schools, some of whom may be 7 hours away, is pointless. They undoubtedly look at records or perhaps box scores at best. Fortunately it appears that nearly every II-A team worth its salt will face almost every other team on the list by season's end and the poll should look a lot like the DII-A west standings with FCS somewhere in the mix as well. Based on performance against teams inside TN state lines, I would personally rank them 1. FA, 2. NCS, 3. USJ at present and these guys will all get to sort it out between the lines over the next few weeks.

8 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

Gary Parrish writes a weekly column in basketball season blasting AP voters for their lazy and inexplicable voting habits, perhaps we could do the same.

I guess there has to be some sort of ranking system, if for no other reason than to generate clicks these days. To ask a sports writer (from the tri-cities for instance) to rank small private schools, some of whom may be 7 hours away, is pointless. They undoubtedly look at records or perhaps box scores at best. Fortunately it appears that nearly every II-A team worth its salt will face almost every other team on the list by season's end and the poll should look a lot like the DII-A west standings with FCS somewhere in the mix as well. Based on performance against teams inside TN state lines, I would personally rank them 1. FA, 2. NCS, 3. USJ at present and these guys will all get to sort it out between the lines over the next few weeks.

Who is this Gary Parrish that you mention and do you have a link to some of his work? I find the rest of your analysis in this case to be spot on

On 9/25/2019 at 12:10 AM, Bellsburg2 said:

I'm divided in my thoughts about polls. They are completely meaningless, and everyone understands that in concept. The only potential benefit taken from a poll is emotional... if the kids think that they have been overlooked or slighted it certainly can focus the team. Even knowing that most fans love to check their teams regard by the pollsters.

On the other hand, If you're going to bother putting one out there, do the research and take a little pride in your work. Not saying that someone should endeavor to attend games from all the schools, but if you do your due diligence and put some thought into tangible results and numbers, a credible progression can be achieved with nominal effort. Most regulars on coachT can formulate a respectable "top 10" just from other posters assessments of teams from their area.