WEST at POWELL 10/11

keepitmoving

Just now, KnoxVil said:

So you are saying that West had nothing to do with Powell not playing well, it was all the refs. Didn’t they have 4 turnovers? Stayed in the game with 4 turnovers? I need to see the QB slammed to the ground. If that happened somebody should have been ejected. Anybody got film of it?

Diamond Clear Media has it. I've seen it a couple of times, and it wasn't pretty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KnoxVil said:

So you are saying that West had nothing to do with Powell not playing well, it was all the refs. Didn’t they have 4 turnovers? Stayed in the game with 4 turnovers? I need to see the QB slammed to the ground. If that happened somebody should have been ejected. Anybody got film of it?

I will disagree with what he said on Powell winning by 14 if not for the refs. Nobody knows what would’ve happened had Powell been awarded those two calls (fumble and sideline catch) as they should have been. Maybe they get points from it, maybe they don’t. I will say Powell did cost themselves by dropping two passes for touchdowns, which would have absolutely changed the score. You can’t control the refs, but you can control the opportunities you’re given, and Powell didn’t do that on a couple occasions. As far as the body slam, that absolutely happened and had a very intentional feel to it. 

Edited by KnoxPhoto

1 minute ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I will disagree with what he said on Powell winning by 14 if not for the refs. Nobody knows what would’ve happened had Powell been awarded those two calls as they should have been. I will say that Powell did cost themselves by dropping two passes for touchdowns, which would have absolutely changed the score. You can’t control the refs, but you can control the opportunities you’re given, and Powell didn’t do that on a couple occasions. As far as the body slam, that absolutely happened and had a very intentional feel to it. 

Very well said.

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Yeah that was the play that caught my attention. And Matt Lowe's. I don't blame him for coming on the field after that. The officials lost all semblance of control at that point. There was clear intent to injure on that play.

Did they Flag him 15 for coming on the field?

5 minutes ago, guthook said:

I went and watched.  They penalized a Powell player.  Not the coach who was on the field a ton and never got flagged.  And it was a penalty, but it wasn't a Body slam.  Ease up on that silliness.

They walked off 15 yards for unnecessary roughness on West (which the official dubbed "roughing the passer") and then 30 yards of unsportsmanlike penalties on Powell, so there were 2 unsportsmanlike calls assessed. One was on an O-Lineman for "protecting" the QB, the other appeared to be on the coach for coming on the field and confronting an official.

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, osunut2 said:

They walked off 15 yards for unnecessary roughness on West (which the official dubbed "roughing the passer") and then 30 yards of unsportsmanlike penalties on Powell, so there were 2 unsportsmanlike calls assessed.

Yep. This is how it happened.  

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

They walked off 15 yards for unnecessary roughness on West (which the official dubbed "roughing the passer") and then 30 yards of unsportsmanlike penalties on Powell, so there were 2 unsportsmanlike calls assessed. One was on an O-Lineman for "protecting" the QB, the other appeared to be on the coach for coming on the field and confronting an official.

My son and I went (he a former Powell player) I fell like the officials caused that whole situation. There was never a whistle to stop the play until the QB was hitting the ground. His momentum was stopped a good 2-3 seconds earlier. There were 3 West players on him, he hit tail to back to head, not head first! But his head did pop backwards when he hit. I don't think the West players were doing anything more than carrying out the tackle, which should have been stopped earlier by a whistle. I also wondered about the call on the coach. If Matt goes out only to check on his player, nothing gets called. But he got in an exchange with the officials, which brought the flag. Anyway, great, competitive game, poor officiating!