MUS at Briarcrest

kwc

I have liked BC all year so going to stick with the “snake handlers” (tribute to our friend the Booger) in this one. Their OL-DL has basically controlled every game and the supporting cast is good enough. I think they have 6 players 265+ with a few SEC commits.

Does BC need this win to secure top seed without going to tiebreakers?

Edited by JRB

Just now, JRB said:

I have liked BC all year so going to stick with the “snake handlers” (tribute to our friend the Booger) in this one. Their OL-DL has basically controlled every game and the supporting cast is good enough. I think they have 6 players 265+ with a few SEC commits.

Does BC need this win to secure top seed with going to tiebreakers?

According to LouPickney’s post the winner is the #1 seed.  I think BC takes it.

sayed it before the seasons contest began...gonna be sayed again....them states largest viper ranglin baptist teachin  institution wins the west...

...thinkin BC can also dance in Cookeville...but a large portion of these largest class Privates have such good coachin staffs....its hard to really pick the favorite to win until a couples r outta the way....tms that havnt fared so well thru season can get there mojo goin once the post season run begans...

..tho Booger would like to see that Gold Ball in Chattanooga...the only 2 big bluebloods in chattanooga have proven over history they r the boss around town....but theyve only amassed 2 TN gold balls between them in the last half century or a whole century....and thats when they were even playin PUBS

.....still thinkin the Gold Baller comes outta the middle or east.

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I predict a Briarcrest win at home. But it's a 9-1 team against a 10-0 team with very high stakes, particularly MUS, which can get the #1 seed with a win or end up as the #3 seed (and thus playing an out-of-town quarterfinal game next Friday) if they lose and MBA wins.

MUS had a great game from senior RB Hunter Kendall against White Station in the rain. His rushing statline: 31 carries, 155 yards, and a TD.

But Briarcrest has a very strong run defense, and MUS will have to rely on its passing game, which might prove problematic.

MUS has good size on both lines, but they will be challenged by Briarcrest's skilled rushing attack. Against an overmatched Manassas team, RB Jabari Small had seven carries for 220 yards and three touchdowns this past Friday.

But, more importantly for Briarcrest, Small has had strong games against much tougher competition as well. And if you key on Small, QB Michael Dallas can burn you either on the ground or through the air. And Dallas doesn't make very many mistakes with the ball, at least from what I've seen.

Should be a really good game. It will be airing live on NFHS, for those with a subscription there.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, LouPickney said:

But Briarcrest has a very strong run defense, and MUS will have to rely on its passing game, which might prove problematic.

I don't know if I agree with the problematic statement. I think MUS will do both effectively. I also think MUS run D is going to slow down Small quite a bit. 

The Commercial Appeal: Four-star Vols lineman targets set to square off in Briarcrest-MUS

By Khari Thompson of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

Briarcrest Christian and Memphis University School have a DII-AAA West-deciding game on Friday, and one of the keys will be who can win the battle in the trenches.

Each team has a four-star lineman who plays on both sides of the ball in Briarcrest's Omari Thomas and MUS' Marcus Henderson. They are friends off the field but the competition is fierce on it.

"I know Marcus pretty well. I’ve been knowing him for a little minute. He’s just a cool dude. We hang out some times," Thomas said. "When we talk, we don’t talk about football. But being able to go against another player that’s really good, not just for the state but in the nation makes me want to play. Because if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best."

Thomas, at 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, is the No. 3 prospect in the state and the No. 9 defensive tackle in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite. Henderson, at 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, is ranked No. 8 in the state and No. 12 among offensive guards in the nation.

Thomas will announce his college commitment Jan. 4 at the All-American Bowl. He is considering Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Texas A&M. Henderson, who will play in the Polynesian Bowl on Jan. 18, is considering Alabama, LSU, Missouri, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

Briarcrest offensive line coach Donnie Hudson says he anticipates seeing Thomas and Henderson line up head-to-head at times Friday night.

"I know they’re playing Marcus a lot more on defense this year, so I think we’ll see a good bit of Marcus and O on top of each other," Hudson said.

The four-star linemen have been battling since freshman year. Now they find themselves competing as seniors with a region title on the line.

"I remember coming out here freshman year and playing him. I had a crazy play and everybody remembered it. I think I hit the running back in the backfield and stopped him on fourth and short," Henderson said. "Just reflecting on that, it's been a long time coming. We’ve both come so far since middle school. I’m proud of him. And I know he’s proud of me, too. We talk about it all the time."

Thomas said he hasn't forgotten the 38-0 shutout MUS (8-1, 3-1)  posted against the Saints (9-0, 4-0) last year and that the team uses it as motivation. MUS has beaten Briarcrest two of the three times they've played since Thomas' freshman year.

"I still think about when we played them last year. We didn’t play a good game at all," Thomas said. "It wasn’t Briarcrest football and it just wasn’t like us, but we feel like we’ve come back this year ready to prove something."

A Briarcrest win would mark the Saints' first region title in over a decade. An MUS win would secure back-to-back region titles for the Owls and three of the last four. The winner of Friday's game gets the No. 1 seed from DII-AAA West in the playoffs.

"Two really good players. No question about it. Both of them have had great careers," MUS coach Bobby Alston said. " ... It’s been a big year for linemen in Memphis and it’ll be a good way to go out."

• Upvote 1