OR @ FULTON

catswild

4 hours ago, bonkers said:

After having a nauseating weekend and conducting my own investigation (with a little help from some friends), and then digesting this mess (interrupted by intermittent vomit and diarrhea), this is what I have come up with:

1. OR was left battered after the Powell game and still has not recovered

2. There was an attempt made to not play two starters on defense in an attempt to have them at full speed for the playoffs (they ended up playing but now won't be full speed for the playoffs)

3. A very good offensive lineman was injured and did not play

4.  Another starting offensive lineman was disciplined by Gaddis on game day and was not allowed to attend the game, so an under prepared player took his place

5. The team certainly took a 2-7 team lightly even though they were dangerous and had to win to make the playoffs

6. A missed extra point (too common), a missed two point play (unfortunate), and a missed short field goal (hard to explain)

7. Terrible pass defense

8. Three turnovers including a pick six

9. Officiating that was almost as bad as the pass defense

10. Fulton simply wanted and needed the game worse than OR

THE GOOD NEWS

1. Almost 500 yards of offense

2. A new season starts this week

3. OR seems to plays its best against good teams so that's good because all the teams OR will face will be good, starting with region champ Soddy Daisy

4. If OR can win, they won't face Powell until round three instead round two 

5. RWR

Soddy may be their Region champ, but they're not a good team. They lost to Ooltewah and Cleveland, neither of which are in the playoffs. 3A Red Bank blew them off the field. They barely beat (supposedly with the help of refs) a terrible Walker Valley team. OR has had a tougher schedule and has played some good games this year.

Edited by hohmaster

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

And why was a second string lineman under prepared?  We should have a back up prepared and ready to play when his opportunity presents itself at every position.  There may be a significant talent drop off, but we have to expect to play back ups and they should atleast know their assignments. 

That's speculation on my part. When I learned that Gaddis suspended a starting offensive lineman on game day I just thought back to my playing days. The starters get a vast majority of the reps and a backup gets very few, therefore, like any backup, he was under prepared. If he had suspended the guy on Tuesday, different story. The backup would've gotten first team reps for the rest of the week. I assume that whatever he did to get in trouble must have happened late in the week.

1 hour ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I wouldn’t say playing West in round 2 is much better than playing Powell, but that’s just me. My gut says OR gets bounced in round 2 against West. 

I'm not sure OR can beat Soddy. It depends on which team shows up. Powell has a much better offense than West IMO

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

The kicking game has been god awful the past two years. It’s what got us beat last year in the playoffs. Heck, poach some kid off of the soccer team or something, anything. As ORC said, that has traditionally been a strong point of our football team. It’s pathetic to see what it has become. Also agree with Cat on having players prepared. Hello, whose job is that?

When you lose a starter on game day, if that's what happened, no backup is going to be as prepared as the starter was.

32 minutes ago, hohmaster said:

Soddy may be their Region champ, but they're not a good team. They lost to Ooltewah and Cleveland, neither of which are in the playoffs. 3A Red Bank blew them off the field. They barely beat (supposedly with the help of refs) a terrible Walker Valley team. OR has had a tougher schedule and has played some good games this year.

Which OR will show up?????

9 minutes ago, bonkers said:

When you lose a starter on game day, if that's what happened, no backup is going to be as prepared as the starter was.

They won't be as prepared as the starter certainly, agreed, but at this point in the season we have to know that some 2's are going to play wether it's suspension, illness or injury. Game day or not,  we have to prepare as if the 2's are going to play every week. Every starter is 1 play away from going out of the game. So if we have a guy come out of the game for whatever reason,  we don't need to be sending under prepared guys into the game.  The 2's atleast have to know their assignments and assume they are 1 play away from going in the game.  

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

They won't be as prepared as the starter certainly, agreed, but at this point in the season we have to know that some 2's are going to play wether it's suspension, illness or injury. Game day or not,  we have to prepare as if the 2's are going to play every week. Every starter is 1 play away from going out of the game. So if we have a guy come out of the game for whatever reason,  we don't need to be sending under prepared guys into the game.  The 2's atleast have to know their assignments and assume they are 1 play away from going in the game.  

When I played, I was a backup as a junior and a starter as a senior. I got TONS more reps as a starter than I did as a backup. I still knew my assignments but I wasn't as prepared as a backup as I was when I was a starter. Starters are better than backups and more prepared. But if you have all week to get a backup "starter reps" during the week, that backup will be much better prepared. That's all I'm saying. It's not a matter of "knowing what to do", they both will know that. It's a matter of getting MANY reps during the week to be as prepared as possible. In this case, that wasn't possible, unless my information is wrong.

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

The kicking game has been god awful the past two years. It’s what got us beat last year in the playoffs. Heck, poach some kid off of the soccer team or something, anything. As ORC said, that has traditionally been a strong point of our football team. It’s pathetic to see what it has become. Also agree with Cat on having players prepared. Hello, whose job is that?

Both Adams boys were punters, 44 and 23. I know for a fact they can both punt darn near twice as far as the current punter.

9 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Not to mention the punting and place kicking have been poor at worst to inconsistent at best.  What in the world has happened to our kicking game?  Kick offs going out of bounds, short punts, missed xps and field goals?  The kicking game isn't helping us at all, it has traditionally been good to excellent across the board. 

And I don't know how close you watch XPs but I would bet Oak Ridge has had to run a player on late more than not.Almost every time they don't have enuff players on the field.Coach has to make STs a priority this off season.And if you don't have a good punter then let a more athletic guy punt like last yr.At least he can make something happen with pressure or a bad snap.