Wooddale @ Covington Round 3

CHARGERFAN

Amazingly, Covington now draws a playoff game at home versus Wooddale. I was reconciled to the fact that all of the Charger's playoff games this year would be on the road, just the opposite of last year, when every playoff game was at home except for the Championship game vs. Alcoa in Cookeville.

In records I have since 1993, I do not find any games where Covington met Wooddale. If you can cite one, please do. I don't know a lot about Wooddale, except that they have a QB named Jones who is pretty good, plus his brother, a receiver.

Covington will have a huge crowd at home. We overflowed the visitor stands at South Gibson for Round 2. Will Wooddale have fans who travel? Years ago Melrose came to our place with a huge crowd, tailgaters with grills, etc. Other city schools generally only bring a handful of fans.

What are your thoughts on the on-field matchup? They did beat Milan. Nuff said to get my attention.

Project a matchup shows Covington to win 28-17.

Sonny-Moore power ranking show Covington ahead 18 points in the power rankings, plus 3 for home field advantage, or a spread of 21 points. 

But, Wooddale took out Milan in round 2, so I am not ready to be overconfident. I trust Coach Kirby to have our guys ready, though.

18 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Amazingly, Covington now draws a playoff game at home versus Wooddale. I was reconciled to the fact that all of the Charger's playoff games this year would be on the road, just the opposite of last year, when every playoff game was at home except for the Championship game vs. Alcoa in Cookeville.

In records I have since 1993, I do not find any games where Covington met Wooddale. If you can cite one, please do. I don't know a lot about Wooddale, except that they have a QB named Jones who is pretty good, plus his brother, a receiver.

Covington will have a huge crowd at home. We overflowed the visitor stands at South Gibson for Round 2. Will Wooddale have fans who travel? Years ago Melrose came to our place with a huge crowd, tailgaters with grills, etc. Other city schools generally only bring a handful of fans.

What are your thoughts on the on-field matchup? They did beat Milan. Nuff said to get my attention.

Let me start out by saying that Wooddale is a well coached team that will flat out hit you on defense. When I say we’ll coached I mean in planning and scheme. For example wooddale had ALOT of penalties last night. There was one stretch where they had 3 false start penalties in a row. However the had a great game plan for Milan. Most of the year they were I formation pound the rock type of team. This is what Milan prepares for. But they came out and did a lot of damage throwing the ball last night. Completely different than what we expected. Covington fans should go back and read the posts I made after the game last night. Wooddale scores at the end of the first half and the first 2 mins of the 2nd half. Outside of that the Milan defense played tough. The jones boys are tough. The qb can make plays with his arm and legs so you have to be careful and put a spy on him. And the other jones is the primary running back not a receiver. However he went out with an injury last night and didn’t come back. Don’t know how severe. Wooddale is deep compared to a lot of Memphis teams I’ve seen. Only play 2 guys both ways. Hope the info is useful. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Let me start out by saying that Wooddale is a well coached team that will flat out hit you on defense. When I say we’ll coached I mean in planning and scheme. For example wooddale had ALOT of penalties last night. There was one stretch where they had 3 false start penalties in a row. However the had a great game plan for Milan. Most of the year they were I formation pound the rock type of team. This is what Milan prepares for. But they came out and did a lot of damage throwing the ball last night. Completely different than what we expected. Covington fans should go back and read the posts I made after the game last night. Wooddale scores at the end of the first half and the first 2 mins of the 2nd half. Outside of that the Milan defense played tough. The jones boys are tough. The qb can make plays with his arm and legs so you have to be careful and put a spy on him. And the other jones is the primary running back not a receiver. However he went out with an injury last night and didn’t come back. Don’t know how severe. Wooddale is deep compared to a lot of Memphis teams I’ve seen. Only play 2 guys both ways. Hope the info is useful. 

U think we’ll beat them BPM? Our pass defense is the best I have seen since I have watched the Chargers.

24 minutes ago, bglass said:

U think we’ll beat them BPM? Our pass defense is the best I have seen since I have watched the Chargers.

I think you are the more talented team. I think that wooddale is gonna look over film and the coaches will come up with a sound game plan to put their kids in the best situation possible. The will be well prepared. And they will hit you. In my honest opinion I would favor you guys by maybe a td since it is at yalls place.  No more. 

17 minutes ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I an telling you, Wooddale's staff is filled with young U of M alumni... they aren't surprised to be doing what they are doing and I think they'll win this one too

They are a good team. Coaches are smart. Much respect. The Haven needs to get them on the schedule. Would be good for both teams. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

49 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think you are the more talented team. I think that wooddale is gonna look over film and the coaches will come up with a sound game plan to put their kids in the best situation possible. The will be well prepared. And they will hit you. In my honest opinion I would favor you guys by maybe a td since it is at yalls place.  No more. 

They are a good team. Coaches are smart. Much respect. The Haven needs to get them on the schedule. Would be good for both teams. 

Memphis folks thought RE would beat us a couple years ago also and we drilled them. They had one of the best running backs in the state and a very good coach.

2 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I an telling you, Wooddale's staff is filled with young U of M alumni... they aren't surprised to be doing what they are doing and I think they'll win this one too

I'm a booster for the U of M and having some our Tiger alumni coaching at Wooddale is a good thing. However, coaching high school playoff football is a different animal. Admittedly, Wooddale has not advanced in the playoffs in years. Covington, on the other hand has a ton of playoff experience. J. R. Kirby was offensive coordinator for the Chargers as we advanced to the state championship game last year and the year before. He has had a hand in many of the Charger playoff wins over the last number of years. I believe that historically Covington is now 45-22 in playoff games, per the TSSAA website. Wooddale, by contrast, is 13-13 all-time in playoff games.

I saw something to the effect that Wooddale has not advanced this far since 2006. Covington should have the edge in talent, in playoff coaching experience, and in player experience deep in the playoffs. Add to that our success on our home field in Covington, and I believe that a Wooddale win would be a huge upset. 

I'm going to invite you to drive up to Covington and see this one in person.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

20 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I'm a booster for the U of M and having some our Tiger alumni coaching at Wooddale is a good thing. However, coaching high school playoff football is a different animal. Admittedly, Wooddale has not advanced in the playoffs in years. Covington, on the other hand has a ton of playoff experience. J. R. Kirby was offensive coordinator for the Chargers as we advanced to the state championship game last year and the year before. He has had a hand in many of the Charger playoff wins over the last number of years. I believe that historically Covington is now 45-22 in playoff games, per the TSSAA website. Wooddale, by contrast, is 13-13 all-time in playoff games.

I saw something to the effect that Wooddale has not advanced this far since 2006. Covington should have the edge in talent, in playoff coaching experience, and in player experience deep in the playoffs. Add to that our success on our home field in Covington, and I believe that a Wooddale win would be a huge upset. 

I'm going to invite you to drive up to Covington and see this one in person.

I wholeheartedly disagree about Covington having an edge in talent. Lol. We shall see tho

1 hour ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

I wholeheartedly disagree about Covington having an edge in talent. Lol. We shall see tho

Well, I haven't seen Wooddale to assess their talent. I'm just going by other posts in this thread that said we have more talent. So, let me ask you the corollary question- have you seen Covington play to assess our talent? If not, what makes you disagree?

I still want to invite you to come see this game.