Summit @ Shelbyville. - ROUND 3

titans1221

24 minutes ago, deadcenter said:

Great match up and this could be our state championship.   The line for Shelbyville is the best I have seen all year and Friday night the offensive line was NASTY!!!   Both teams are better today than they were in the regular season game.   Shelbyville's defense makes an offense earn every yard gained.   Summit has the dynamic QB and will be a challenge for the Eagles.   In the end the winner will be the team that wins the battle in the trenches.   

Shelbyville  34
Summit      24

Great matchup yes, defacto Championship game? Nope

8 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

How do you know this?? In my opinion, one of these two could very well win it all. It’s just that lack of history that assumes otherwise. These two teams are plenty good enough to win the state championship.

Never said they couldn't, but there are several teams left just as good. Knox Central, West, Powell, SD and Henry Co could just as easily win it. Normally when you claim that a game is a De Facto Championship, it's 2 teams that are clearly the best 2 teams. That is not the case

I think it comes down to Powell, Shelbyville, and Summit.  Just my opinion.  Summit's handling of Page is an indication they are peaking at the right time.  Shelbyville is the underdog and Powell seems to be clicking on all cylinders entering into this round.  Will be fun to see how it plays out.   No matter what, all of these teams have worked hard and had good years.

On another note,   Caleb Marsh for Shelbyville is a beast when he's healthy.  He was about 80% against Beech and didn't have his break away speed because of ankle issues.   Demarcus Smalls is the other back Shelbyville has and is not as big as Marsh but has break away speed and good power between the tackles.  He also is fighting ankle problems.  These two are showing signs of being at full speed Friday night barring a mishap in practice.   It will present major problems for any opposing defense if the line keeps pushing people around.

11 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Never said they couldn't, but there are several teams left just as good. Knox Central, West, Powell, SD and Henry Co could just as easily win it. Normally when you claim that a game is a De Facto Championship, it's 2 teams that are clearly the best 2 teams. That is not the case

Time will tell. We won’t know how good the Knoxville teams are until they go head to head. I’m not assuming they are better either. 

1 hour ago, sportsguy22 said:

Time will tell. We won’t know how good the Knoxville teams are until they go head to head. I’m not assuming they are better either. 

Hey brother, I'll see you guys Friday.   Heading over there.  Eric, the guy your debating isn't just an everyday fan.  He's very knowledgeable Statewide.  He's filled in on my show a few times.   I do agree with him.   You can't call this the "De Facto Championship" when there are a number of teams that appear pretty even at this point.   I'm inclined to put Powell at one based on who they've beaten this season already, but they'll have their hands full with West this week a team they only beat by one point.   I'm afraid the fact that Coach Lowe's team really hasn't put teams away this season is gonna eventually catch up to them.

I do agree with you however, these two teams are "As good" as any team statewide at the moment.  I'm really excited to watch this one!