USJ @ NCS Semis

Nextoneup

The first match was a close one under dry conditions. This semifinal game will be different, with rain in the forecast much of the week and even potentially at game time. Both teams were forced to pass the ball last time as the defenses kept the run game in check for the most part. I believe the advantage this week in "playoff field conditions" will go to the team that establishes the best run game. 

NCS won the turnover battle and out gained the Bruins in the first meeting, but still required pretty fortunate turn of events to take a late lead after trailing for 3.5 quarters. McClary had his best outing of the season by far with 256 and 3 TDs. 

USJ had Andrew Smith at the helm most of the first half, with Cody Smith returning in the second quarter after several weeks absence due to injury. Each threw a TD pass. The senior has taken the majority of the snaps since, but mobility remains limited and field/weather conditions could be a big factor in determining how effective he can be.

I expect another close one, likely a one score game late. They say it's always hard to beat a team twice, but NCS certainly found a way with Fayette last round. This one may indeed come down to coaching. If they can establish the power run game, protect the football, and avoid drive-extending penalties, the Bruins may just spoil the Eagles perfect season and punch their ticket to Cookeville.

I played 7 years of football on Keeton Field before it was named such, and watched at least as many seasons from the home stands before and after that, but Friday night will be my first time in the visitor stands. I suppose it's time to see how the other half lives!

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 12:05 AM, Bellsburg2 said:

The first match was a close one under dry conditions. This semifinal game will be different, with rain in the forecast much of the week and even potentially at game time. Both teams were forced to pass the ball last time as the defenses kept the run game in check for the most part. I believe the advantage this week in "playoff field conditions" will go to the team that establishes the best run game. 

NCS won the turnover battle and out gained the Bruins in the first meeting, but still required pretty fortunate turn of events to take a late lead after trailing for 3.5 quarters. McClary had his best outing of the season by far with 256 and 3 TDs. 

USJ had Andrew Smith at the helm most of the first half, with Cody Smith returning in the second quarter after several weeks absence due to injury. Each threw a TD pass. The senior has taken the majority of the snaps since, but mobility remains limited and field/weather conditions could be a big factor in determining how effective he can be.

I expect another close one, likely a one score game late. They say it's always hard to beat a team twice, but NCS certainly found a way with Fayette last round. This one may indeed come down to coaching. If they can establish the power run game, protect the football, and avoid drive-extending penalties, the Bruins may just spoil the Eagles perfect season and punch their ticket to Cookeville.

I played 7 years of football on Keeton Field before it was named such, and watched at least as many seasons from the home stands before and after that, but Friday night will be my first time in the visitor stands. I suppose it's time to see how the other half lives!

Great post Bellsburg2! You summed it up very well. 

Looking at USJ's schedule I see an impressive, albeit loss (11-21) to a strong 4A Crockett County last month. To hold that high scoring CC team to 21 is a testament to USJ's defense. I see that loss as more impressive than NCS's win over a relatively weak 5A Hillwood. 

Rain chances are 60% throughout the day and during the game. 

Although the c.a.l.preps projection for this game is NCS 28-20, it doesn't factor in weather, and I see a USJ win in this one.

I would go ahead and make hotel reservations in Cookeville if I were a USJ fan.....there's a jinx for you! :-)

Edited by kenmynattcpa
Smile

3 hours ago, kenmynattcpa said:

Great post Bellsburg2! You summed it up very well. 

Looking at USJ's schedule I see an impressive, albeit loss (11-21) to a strong 4A Crockett County last month. To hold that high scoring CC team to 21 is a testament to USJ's defense. I see that loss as more impressive than NCS's win over a relatively weak 5A Hillwood. 

Rain chances are 60% throughout the day and during the game. 

Although the c.a.l.preps projection for this game is NCS 28-20, it doesn't factor in weather, and I see a USJ win in this one.

I would go ahead and make hotel reservations in Cookeville if I were a USJ fan.....there's a jinx for you! :-)

In regards to the Crockett County and usj game, the game really wasn't quite as close as the final score indicated. Crockett County fumbled on the usj 1-yard line killing a score. I forget what point in the game it was Crockett County also fumbled while driving the ball another time inside usj territory.

Nevertheless, it will be a good football game. Possibly one of the better games on Friday. I see Nashville Christian winning I may be a touchdown and a field goal or so. I think the X Factor will be the play of the Nashville Christian quarterback. If he gets out of the pocket, he can really make things happen. I also think the defensive line for Nashville Christian will be one of the keys to this game.

No matter how the game turns out, I hope is an injury free game for both squads

From the Tennessean: 

USJ (9-3) at Nashville Christian (11-0)

7 p.m., Friday

Matt McClary thew for 256 yards and had three touchdowns when NCS beat USJ 28-27 the first meeting. McClary will need to do at least that this meeting and the Eagles must trim down on their penalties — they had eight for 80 yards against the Bruins in the regular season. 

Kreager's pick: Nashville Christian 21, USJ 14

USJ has forced 36 turnovers so far this season.   NC gets penalized a lot.    Those trends must continue for the Bruins to keep marching East as NC has the edge on offense.   These last 4 teams could play a dozen times with different results.     Rain doesn't matter friday if you have Mo. 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:39 PM, ReitzFan said:

In regards to the Crockett County and usj game, the game really wasn't quite as close as the final score indicated. Crockett County fumbled on the usj 1-yard line killing a score. I forget what point in the game it was Crockett County also fumbled while driving the ball another time inside usj territory.

Nevertheless, it will be a good football game. Possibly one of the better games on Friday. I see Nashville Christian winning I may be a touchdown and a field goal or so. I think the X Factor will be the play of the Nashville Christian quarterback. If he gets out of the pocket, he can really make things happen. I also think the defensive line for Nashville Christian will be one of the keys to this game.

No matter how the game turns out, I hope is an injury free game for both squads

Your hatred for USJ is comical.  Someone says something remotely positive and you have to throw something back negative.  Someone in another post mentions USJ as a top 3 job and you state that it isn't good because of parents and boosters.  I'm not sure about all the particulars with Marley, but I do know that no one ran off his replacement.  Bradley choose to go back to East Tennessee on his own.  Regardless what school you are at; there are always going to parents/boosters that try to have a say.  You need to look at your own house (TCA) before throwing other schools under the bus for asking a coach to leave.  

The CC game was as close as the score ended up.  We had the ball on our own 43 with 9 mins to go in the game down 10.  The fumble you are referring to came with about 2 mins left in the game.  You didn't mention that CC got the ball from USJ fumbling on our own 40.  CC has won 7 out 8 and are averaging over 42 points a game over that period.  USJ giving up only 21 is a pretty good defensive effort.  I remember one of your now deleted post claiming that DA was lucky to leave Jackson with a win against TCA.  Wasn't that a 15 point game?  So one team can lose by 15 and should have won but another team loses by 10 and it wasn't that close of a game?  Funny how you skew facts to support your narrative.   

On to something more important; tonight USJ/NCS game.  The last game was a very close ball game that could have gone either way.  Both teams made some critical mistakes and NCS was able to capitalize a little more than the Bruins.  Looks like the rain will be done by game time but the field will be very wet.  NCS QB threw for over 320 yards last time.  If the Bruins are able to slow him down; I think it will lead to a USJ victory.  Like most football games; the team with the least amount of turnover most likely wins.  Should end up being a beautiful night for high school football.  I pray for safe travels and a injury free game.  It should be a good one! USJ 24-14

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, GTfanTN said:

Your hatred for USJ is comical.  Someone says something remotely positive and you have to throw something back negative.  Someone in another post mentions USJ as a top 3 job and you state that it isn't good because of parents and boosters.  I'm not sure about all the particulars with Marley, but I do know that no one ran off his replacement.  Bradley choose to go back to East Tennessee on his own.  Regardless what school you are at; there are always going to parents/boosters that try to have a say.  You need to look at your own house (TCA) before throwing other schools under the bus for asking a coach to leave.  

The CC game was as close as the score ended up.  We had the ball on our own 43 with 9 mins to go in the game down 10.  The fumble you are referring to came with about 2 mins left in the game.  You didn't mention that CC got the ball from USJ fumbling on our own 40.  CC has won 7 out 8 and are averaging over 42 points a game over that period.  USJ giving up only 21 is a pretty good defensive effort.  I remember one of your now deleted post claiming that DA was lucky to leave Jackson with a win against TCA.  Wasn't that a 15 point game?  So one team can lose by 15 and should have won but another team loses by 10 and it wasn't that close of a game?  Funny how you skew facts to support your narrative.   

On to something more important; tonight USJ/NCS game.  The last game was a very close ball game that could have gone either way.  Both teams made some critical mistakes and NCS was able to capitalize a little more than the Bruins.  Looks like the rain will be done by game time but the field will be very wet.  NCS QB threw for over 320 yards last time.  If the Bruins are able to slow him down; I think it will lead to a USJ victory.  Like most football games; the team with the least amount of turnover most likely wins.  Should end up being a beautiful night for high school football.  I pray for safe travels and a injury free game.  It should be a good one! USJ 24-14

Idk. I dont see ncs getting held to just 14. I'm going 28-17 ncs