Possible running back transfer to Dobyns-Bennett

WaCoJaCo

23 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

They played twice in the 70's. DB winning one and GC winning one. That's when GC had the Roger's brothers, Stanley and Phillip, as well as a few other Div. 1 players. I think Gate City won the state championship that year. If I remember correctly they won that state championship game something like 76-13. That's how good they were. Head coach Harry Fry did things much like Maryville does today. He had control of the little leagues and had good coaches running those teams. They ran the same plays from little league to high school and they didn't make mistakes. But apart from those two teams and maybe a couple more I don't think GC could of beaten DB. They just have to many players going both ways. 

All true except you left out the third Rogers brother, Mickey, a/k/a the Wild Deuce.  Stan was a darned good high school player, but was not as good as Phil or Mickey, who were the bell cows.  Dennis Wolfe, who played at UT, was one of the other studs, and of course Phil is in the VT Hall of Fame.

But they also had some other kids who might not have played at the absolute highest level in college but were devastating in HS.  Ricky Begley being perhaps the best example.  I think he played at Appy State because he was considered not tall enough by the big schools, but he's still one of the best HS lineman to ever play in this area IMO.  What a motor.  I don't remember who was covering them for the Times-News back then, but I still remember a great line he penned about Begley after a playoff game:  "he's he** when he's well and he ain't ever sick."  I'm sure he borrowed that from someone, but it was the truth!

Lol the board software edits "he**" to "heck," which messed up my quote.

Edited by Tribal

1 hour ago, Tribal said:

All true except you left out the third Rogers brother, Mickey, a/k/a the Wild Deuce.  Stan was a darned good high school player, but was not as good as Phil or Mickey, who were the bell cows.  Dennis Wolfe, who played at UT, was one of the other studs, and of course Phil is in the VT Hall of Fame.

But they also had some other kids who might not have played at the absolute highest level in college but were devastating in HS.  Ricky Begley being perhaps the best example.  I think he played at Appy State because he was considered not tall enough by the big schools, but he's still one of the best HS lineman to ever play in this area IMO.  What a motor.  I don't remember who was covering them for the Times-News back then, but I still remember a great line he penned about Begley after a playoff game:  "he's he** when he's well and he ain't ever sick."  I'm sure he borrowed that from someone, but it was the truth!

Lol the board software edits "he**" to "heck," which messed up my quote.

Like y'all are saying gc greatest teams were in the 70's, they had some decent teams in the 80's, but their 95-97 teams were special, with jake housewright and Chad Beasley both eventually played in the national championship game for va tech against fla st. Beasley went on to play in the NFL, their qb was josh shoemaker who was 6'9 he went to wake forest but for basketball. Beasley dad had a pro career and would have been on the 70's gc teams but I believe he played high school ball somewhere in northern Virginia. I would love to have seen that 90's team against db, db would have beating them every time cause gc had too many going both was but I still would have like to have witness it.

2 hours ago, StarBright87 said:

Like y'all are saying gc greatest teams were in the 70's, they had some decent teams in the 80's, but their 95-97 teams were special, with jake housewright and Chad Beasley both eventually played in the national championship game for va tech against fla st. Beasley went on to play in the NFL, their qb was josh shoemaker who was 6'9 he went to wake forest but for basketball. Beasley dad had a pro career and would have been on the 70's gc teams but I believe he played high school ball somewhere in northern Virginia. I would love to have seen that 90's team against db, db would have beating them every time cause gc had too many going both was but I still would have like to have witness it.

Beasley the elder played HS ball in West Va somewhere, and won a couple of Super Bowl rings with the Steelers in the late 70s. 

• Like 1

MAX 5,000 TICKETS SOLD PER GAME - NO TICKETS SOLD AT STADIUM ON GAME NIGHT

BETTER BUY SEASON TICKETS OR RISK NO TICKET AT ALL 

MAX 200 TICKETS GOING TO VISITING SCHOOL. ANY AVAILABLE INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT ATHLETIC OFFICE TO PUBLIC DURING THE SEASON - MON - FRI TILL 2PM 

DB BAND IS MOVING TO VISITORS SIDE END ZONE BLEACHERS AND VISTOR'S SIDE SECTION CLOSEST TO END ZONE. NOT LIKELY THAT VISITORS BANDS WILL BE ALLOWED 

10 minutes ago, IndiansForLife said:

Sounds like DB is going to try to have 50% capacity a games.

https://tricitiessports.com/debusk-keeping-things-positive-at-db-p97803-1.htm

Debusk was a great player and coach . I don't know him because he came along after my days at Greeneville but  I've watched him play and followed his  career from a distance. His job much like the other leaders in our school system is to stay focused and positive right now.I look very much to seeing crowds like the 2006 South at DB game again.I have no idea how many people will be able to actually see a game this year .That will be answered pretty quickly.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

I hate to even say this but most likely we won't even see the first game. The China Virus will shut it all down. Just like in MLB first 10 or 15 players from one team test positive then another team then another and everybody freaks out and the TSSAA cancels the season before the first game is even played. Mask don't work. The more people wear mask the more cases we see. Now they tell us we should wear plastic face shields or googles. So where was that one 4 months ago? These "scientist" are lost on this virus and they don't have a clue. Or it's all by design. It could be 3 to 5 years before we see any high school sports. Or the virus might disappear right after the election. Who knows.

What a DA post.  Using the term "China Virus" perpetuates hate and distrust of Chinese Americans.  Masks don't work?  This is too stupid of a comment to even address.  Scientists don't have a clue?  They are learning every day and giving us the best advice......at least they are not political.  Disappear after the election?  What are you implying?  That the virus is not real or that is is a plot by Democrats?  

Incredible....no wonder our country is a laughing stock.

Edited by VUTarheel

3 minutes ago, LINEDAD said:

MAX 5,000 TICKETS SOLD PER GAME - NO TICKETS SOLD AT STADIUM ON GAME NIGHT

BETTER BUY SEASON TICKETS OR RISK NO TICKET AT ALL 

MAX 200 TICKETS GOING TO VISITING SCHOOL. ANY AVAILABLE INDIVIDUAL GAME TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT ATHLETIC OFFICE TO PUBLIC DURING THE SEASON - MON - FRI TILL 2PM 

DB BAND IS MOVING TO VISITORS SIDE END ZONE BLEACHERS AND VISTOR'S SIDE SECTION CLOSEST TO END ZONE. NOT LIKELY THAT VISITORS BANDS WILL BE ALLOWED 

The visitors will have to do like DB fans done several years at WB. Before the game without the DB  band, someone got the bright thought of handing out kazoos to all the DB fans. I'll tell you right now that it's far from being the same as when the band and players do " the walk " before a game.Yes,I might have been one of the only smart donkey fans that wouldn't take one of those silly kazoos .It's still has to be the low mark in a DB pregame .

3 hours ago, VUTarheel said:

What a DA post.  Using the term "China Virus" perpetuates hate and distrust of Chinese Americans.  Masks don't work?  This is too stupid of a comment to even address.  Scientists don't have a clue?  They are learning every day and giving us the best advice......at least they are not political.  Disappear after the election?  What are you implying?  That the virus is not real or that is is a plot by Democrats?  

Incredible....no wonder our country is a laughing stock.

I'll put this up again. Somehow my last response got deleted. Considering this is your first post (under this screen name) maybe you're a moderator and couldn't take the verbal beat down. To start with it is the "China Virus" because it comes from "China". It doesn't come from Chinese Americans fool. Has nothing to do with hate or distrust for any American. I think you pulled that ideal out of your ###. Mask don't work? I'll explain that to you but I'm sure you're to stupid to understand. At first "Dr. Fauci" told us not to wear mask. Then later he said we should. His reason for changing his mind didn't even make since. Now he tells us to wear a face shield or goggles. That tells us "maybe" we can get the virus through our eyes. That also tells us that mask don't stop you from getting the virus if you don't also wear eye protection. "Dr. Fauci" is all over the map. Maybe he's trying as hard as he can but he's changed his mind so many times it's clear he's just throwing things out there that might work. The very fact that you say "they are learning every day" at least tells me that subconsciously at least you know they don't have a clue. You say they are not political? Really stupid statement. Their money comes from politicians, thats how they get paid. I think anybody with half a brain (eliminates you) knows that I meant all the "freaking out" would disappear after the election. Not the virus its self. The Demoncrats and the left wing media are playing the virus for all it worth. Sorry if this hurts your little feelings. And that last statement you made about "our country". If you think America is a laughing stock then its not your country. Your country is China, or some other Communist country. America is by far the greatest country on earth. I'll look for you tonight on the news as you loot and burn a business of some hard working American citizen. Thats your mindset.