Covington @ Haywood -week 2

CHARGERFAN

I cannot wait for this game to take place. I want to say that Covington will win this, but it is Haywood we are talking about. Sources tell me the Tomcats didn't look too hot this past Friday, but of course not many do against Henry Co. Covington was very impressive, but Munford is not on the same level of this Covington team. Should be a good test for the Covington defense and going to be interesting to see if Haywood can contain Hayes. End of the day, I'll take Covington by a TD. :thumb:

• Like 1

Haywood is a very good team. They made plays against Henry County but we forced turnovers which ended up being the difference. I'm not super familiar with Covington or their offense but we was able to run the ball pretty well against Haywood. I expect Haywood to correct a few mistakes and play really well this Friday. This Friday will show where Haywood is at after their match with HC. Good luck Tomcats nothing but respect. 

• Like 1

Hey, I'm old, so bear with me.  If you're not interested in trivia, just read the information under the 2020 section.

The two teams did not play each other.  Covington (a Class 3A semifinalist) ended the season with an 11-3 record, Haywood (a Class 4A semifinalist) ended the season with a 12-2 record.

Common opponents in 2019:

Covington defeated Ripley 34-7 in the regular season, lost to South Gibson County 20-13 in the regular season, defeated South Gibson County 14-10 in the second round of the playoffs. 

Haywood defeated South Gibson County 50-49 in the regular season, defeated Ripley 42-7 in the regular season,  and defeated Ripley 37-0 in the second round of the playoffs.

This week's AP poll - Covington (1-0) is ranked number 3 in Class 3A  - Haywood (0-1) is ranked number 6 in Class 4A

Both teams have a lot of speed, but with the remnants of Laura  expected to pass trough West Tennessee Thursday and Friday, it looks like weather could be a huge factor.

According to the Jackson Sun, Covington has 14 returning starters from last year's team.  Haywood has 8 offensive and 7 defensive starters back.

I don't have an injury report for either team.

A big question is will Haywood be able to make some necessary adjustments after last week's loss to Henry County?

Looking at it on paper, Covington appears to be about a 2 touchdown favorite.

However, the game is not played on paper, so let's get it together Tomcats and beat those Chargers!

Fun facts:

J.R. Kirby (Covington) and Chris Smith (Haywood) are in their second season as head coaches at their respective schools.

Coach Kirby was an assistant coach at Haywood at one time.

The last meeting between the two teams was in 2014 when Haywood defeated Covington 14-12 in Brownsville.

Series record (including records prior to and after consolidation)  - Covington leads the series 45-34-3.

This rivalry was especially intense in the 1960's when both schools were in the old Big Ten Conference and Jackie Cain (a native of Brownsville) coached at Byars Hall and John Hooper coached at Haywood County. 

Byars Hall High School and Frazier High School were consolidated to form Covington High School in 1970.  Haywood County High School and and Carver High School were consolidated to form Haywood High School in 1970.  To my knowledge, Covington Frazier never fielded a football team.  Brownsville Carver fielded a team for a few years in the 1960s.

One of the more exciting games (for me) was Haywood's 2008 homecoming game when Haywood defeated Covington 42 -35 in double overtime.

Brownsville and Covington are separated by 21 miles and a bunch of cotton and soy bean fields.  You know it's football time in Tipton and Haywood County when cotton begins to flower and fruit.  (Yes...a cotton boll is considered a fruit because it contains seeds.)

Wear your masks properly, social distance, and let's pray for an injury free game. 

Go Tomcats!

Edited by stacmot
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PatriotsNation said:

Haywood is a very good team. They made plays against Henry County but we forced turnovers which ended up being the difference. I'm not super familiar with Covington or their offense but we was able to run the ball pretty well against Haywood. I expect Haywood to correct a few mistakes and play really well this Friday. This Friday will show where Haywood is at after their match with HC. Good luck Tomcats nothing but respect. 

Thanks u guys treated us good very nice people . U are right we had turnovers that hurt us bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Hey, I'm old, so bear with me.  If you're not interested in trivia, just read the information under the 2020 section.

The two teams did not play each other.  Covington (a Class 3A semifinalist) ended the season with an 11-3 record, Haywood (a Class 4A semifinalist) ended the season with a 12-2 record.

Common opponents in 2019:

Covington defeated Ripley 34-7 in the regular season, lost to South Gibson County 20-13 in the regular season, defeated South Gibson County 14-10 in the second round of the playoffs. 

Haywood defeated South Gibson County 50-49 in the regular season, defeated Ripley 42-7 in the regular season,  and defeated Ripley 37-0 in the second round of the playoffs.

This week's AP poll - Covington (1-0) is ranked number 3 in Class 3A  - Haywood (0-1) is ranked number 6 in Class 4A

Both teams have a lot of speed, but with the remnants of Laura  expected to pass trough West Tennessee Thursday and Friday, it looks like weather could be a huge factor.

According to the Jackson Sun, Covington has 14 returning starters from last year's team.  Haywood has 8 offensive and 7 defensive starters back.

I don't have an injury report for either team.

A big question is will Haywood be able to make some necessary adjustments after last week's loss to Henry County?

Looking at it on paper, Covington appears to be about a 2 touchdown favorite.

However, the game is not played on paper, so let's get it together Tomcats and beat those Chargers!

Fun facts:

J.R. Kirby (Covington) and Chris Smith (Haywood) are in their second season as head coaches at their respective schools.

Coach Kirby was an assistant coach at Haywood at one time.

The last meeting between the two teams was in 2014 when Haywood defeated Covington 14-12 in Brownsville.

Series record (including records prior to and after consolidation)  - Covington leads the series 45-34-3.

This rivalry was especially intense in the 1960's when both schools were in the old Big Ten Conference and Jackie Cain (a native of Brownsville) coached at Byars Hall and John Hooper coached at Haywood County. 

Byars Hall High School and Frazier High School were consolidated to form Covington High School in 1970.  Haywood County High School and and Carver High School were consolidated to form Haywood High School in 1970.  To my knowledge, Covington Frazier never fielded a football team.  Brownsville Carver fielded a team for a few years in the 1960s.

One of the more exciting games (for me) was Haywood's 2008 homecoming game when Haywood defeated Covington 42 -35 in double overtime.

Brownsville and Covington are separated by 21 miles and a bunch of cotton and soy bean fields.  You know it's football time in Tipton and Haywood County when cotton begins to flower and fruit.  (Yes...a cotton boll is considered a fruit because it contains seeds.)

Wear your masks properly, social distance, and let's pray for an injury free game. 

Go Tomcats!

Great history here. Thanks for posting it. It's probably new info to a lot of younger fans.

43 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Great history here. Thanks for posting it. It's probably new info to a lot of younger fans.

Thanks.  I think I'm older than 99.9% of the posters on this site.  Most young folks don't care about history and tradition,  but until I get banned for boring posts, I'll continue to torture them anyway.

I meant to include the following info in my previous post, but for some reason (probably old age) I forgot to include it.

According to this week's power ratings, Covington is ranked 10th in the state with a power rating of 142.80.  Haywood is ranked 61st with a power rating of 127.05.

That was important information to support why I said Covington appears to be about a 2 touchdown favorite.

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

Thanks.  I think I'm older than 99.9% of the posters on this site.  Most young folks don't care about history and tradition,  but until I get banned for boring posts, I'll continue to torture them anyway.

I meant to include the following info in my previous post, but for some reason (probably old age) I forgot to include it.

According to this week's power ratings, Covington is ranked 10th in the state with a power rating of 142.80.  Haywood is ranked 61st with a power rating of 127.05.

That was important information to support why I said Covington appears to be about a 2 touchdown favorite.

Glad games aren't played on paper!