Week 3 - TCA Lions @ USJ Bruins

Bellsburg2

Perhaps with a less confrontational title, we can get a little chatter going about this game. This should be the one week of the season where we can get the D2 board hoppin. What say you, Trinity peeps?

Last year this proved to be a rivalry game at its finest, with the Bruins clawing back from a big first half deficit before taking the lead for good in the 4th quarter. Will this week prove to be the same?

My spies tell me that TCA's anti-Covid measures now include social distancing on coacht...

TCA looks solid, though not spectacular. Good size up front and the defense swarms well. I don't think they have the playmakers to put up many points against a stout USJ D though. At the same time, their D looks tough enough to force USJ to put together some drives and execute better than they have the first two games.

I'll say 28-3 USJ in a game that will feel a little closer than the score will look.

You guys already know the confidence I have in your coaching staff. The mindset that they instill, their play calling ability, and their assessment of opponents strength and weakness. The USJ lines look very good, they have experienced leadership, the defense is stout, and (if healthy this week) they have backs and receivers capable of big yardage on every play. Having said that, TCA  has always shown a freakish ability to improve on the fly. Butler has shown over and over the knack for moving a few players around and adjusting sets to maximize what he has to work with. USJ should handle the Lions without much trouble according to what both have shown on the field so far, but I wouldn't go in expecting an easy rout. There probably isn't an Andrew Goldsmith type game changer hiding on TCA's roster that nobody's seen yet, but there may be something left in the purple bag of tricks, and you can bet that USJ will get Trinity's best shot.

• Upvote 1

TCA has weapons and, by necessity, a more balanced attack this year. It will be tough plowing on the ground against the Bruins front line. Union City obviously did not challenge the pass defense much, but in week 1 the NCS QB was on the run all night and forced to make several miscues.

Pledger remains a weapon in the kicking game, 6/6 touchbacks and 5/5 XP Friday night with 4 punts inside the 20 (2 inside the 5). He even showed off the arm, throwing a TD pass. Tabor is a big threat returning kicks, rounding out a solid special teams unit under Coach Hardegree.

• Like 1

Everyone including students must have a ticket to enter. No tickets will be sold at the gate. All tickets are $5 and will be color coded. TCA was alloted 350 tickets for sale to their parents, fans, students. USJ tickets will be on sale tomorrow 4-5pm at the ticket booth for football/band/cheer parents, super boosters, and HS students only. Tickets will be sold Wednesday 4-5pm to the remaining USJ families. 500 bleachers and 300 standing room only. Tickets to the general public will be hard to come by as the rules are strictly enforced.

10 hours ago, USJalum88 said:

ReitzFan     136

Usj, the number one team in the region? I don't think so. At best, I believe they will finish fourth in the region behind Davidson Academy, Columbia Academy, and Nashville Christian. If usj is not careful Fayette Academy could sneak up on them as well.

Can't wait to see if this ages into a fine vintage, or simply rots away.