Warren Co. @ Blackman

PIONEERS12

22 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

I think Harstfield has the ability to have a very disciplined team.... two years ago. players better not have their shirt tails showing or he would bench them... they were on time, doing what they needed to do... but I am not seeing it this year.  I think he gets it headed in the right direction, but it is going to take a few lean bad years to get there. 

sounds like he is going through the same things his  wife went through at shs before she quit 

• Thanks 1

Unpopular post ahead.  Scroll on by if you are faint of heart.

Congrats to the Pioneers!

Several problems with the Blaze this season.  First, they were all told to go home and be distance learners.  What do you think these kids are sitting around doing all day?  Getting stronger?  Getting school spirit?  More than once I have been told that several senior players smelled like weed at practice.  I think it is time to stop worrying that someone on the team is gonna get quarantined.  Warren County just embarrassed you.  Round up what leaders you have and get them back to school.

Second problem - These Blackman kids are totally undisciplined.  Five personal fouls in the game before this?  Throwing helmets?  Seems like there are no real consequences for missing assignments or misbehaving.  I guarantee that you can go see the Blackman youth kids play on a Saturday and see more disciplined football players who will break their necks before they let their coaches down.  Discipline was a problem way back in the day but this is the worst I have seen.  If the players don't respect their assignments, their coaches and team, they shouldnt play.  This is an area where Shadowens excelled.  

Third - Senior Leadership - Who is the senior leader of this team?  The baseball player?  (don't get me wrong, he is an outstanding young man who is doing his level best)  I dont see any clear leaders.  A whole lot of ME out there.

Fourth - Player development.  Over the years, Blackman has had a hard time with this.  We have been blessed to have several amazing and talented kids who carried the team.  Mimms, Wallace, Mathers, Jennings, Murphy, etc.  Watch Maryville and Alcoa and count how many kids get to take varsity snaps during a game.  More than almost anybody.  We have too many kids going both ways.  We need to involve more players.  We have relied too much on those once in a lifetime athletes and now that there isnt one, you see the result.

Fifth - Legacy players.  Stop playing kids because their parents are educators, or influential boosters or because they are seniors.  A few come to mind that I wont name, but I can think of at least three quarterbacks in the last decade who I think werent the best kid for the job, but got the job because someone just decided that they deserved it.   Blackman needs to force competition for positions.  In the last few years, a few freshman and sophomore players have been picked out and given varsity time.  Getting them varsity snaps too early in their career takes away from their total durability, exposes them to more injury and prevents the development of other players.

Finally - Fundamentals.  You got to harp and harp on proper technique and execution.  Way too much arm tackling and wrong pursuit angles.  Watching this team try to tackle tonight was extremely haunting.

Hopefully this season can be salvaged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwXaway said:

Several problems with the Blaze this season.  First, they were all told to go home and be distance learners.  What do you think these kids are sitting around doing all day?  Getting stronger?  Getting school spirit?  More than once I have been told that several senior players smelled like weed at practice.  I think it is time to stop worrying that someone on the team is gonna get quarantined.  Warren County just embarrassed you.  Round up what leaders you have and get them back to school.

Second problem - These Blackman kids are totally undisciplined.  Five personal fouls in the game before this?  Throwing helmets?  Seems like there are no real consequences for missing assignments or misbehaving.  I guarantee that you can go see the Blackman youth kids play on a Saturday and see more disciplined football players who will break their necks before they let their coaches down.  Discipline was a problem way back in the day but this is the worst I have seen.  If the players don't respect their assignments, their coaches and team, they shouldnt play.  This is an area where Shadowens excelled.  

Third - Senior Leadership - Who is the senior leader of this team?  The baseball player?  (don't get me wrong, he is an outstanding young man who is doing his level best)  I dont see any clear leaders.  A whole lot of ME out there.

Fourth - Player development.  Over the years, Blackman has had a hard time with this.  We have been blessed to have several amazing and talented kids who carried the team.  Mimms, Wallace, Mathers, Jennings, Murphy, etc.  Watch Maryville and Alcoa and count how many kids get to take varsity snaps during a game.  More than almost anybody.  We have too many kids going both ways.  We need to involve more players.  We have relied too much on those once in a lifetime athletes and now that there isnt one, you see the result.

Fifth - Legacy players.  Stop playing kids because their parents are educators, or influential boosters or because they are seniors.  A few come to mind that I wont name, but I can think of at least three quarterbacks in the last decade who I think werent the best kid for the job, but got the job because someone just decided that they deserved it.   Blackman needs to force competition for positions.  In the last few years, a few freshman and sophomore players have been picked out and given varsity time.  Getting them varsity snaps too early in their career takes away from their total durability, exposes them to more injury and prevents the development of other players.

Finally - Fundamentals.  You got to harp and harp on proper technique and execution.  Way too much arm tackling and wrong pursuit angles.  Watching this team try to tackle tonight was extremely haunting.

2-6 is all on the coach... I think it’s time to clean house at Blackman 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, throwXaway said:

Interesting take on the state of their union. I’ll see first hand later in the season and keep an eye on your take. 

I will agree with you that coaches seem to be more reliant on fewer players. Is it a lack of depth or a lack of trust? I don’t know. But I’ve noticed more and more players going not only both ways but also staying on special teams. That causes a delay in development of your younger players and burn your starters out. And it will eventually catch up to you. At some point you have to start pushing the younger kids to develop. 

also the atmosphere you’re describing reminds me of Siegel last year. Hope that’s not the case. But I will say with the facilities that you have I hope it hasn’t spoiled the kids. 

• Upvote 1

I believe that Warren Co went 11-2 in 1980 with Jeff Womack and a host of other good players.  9-1 in the regular season losing at home in week 10 to a Father Ryan team quarterbacked by Kurt Page.  I think the Final score was 9-7 or something close to that.  I believe WC scored their only TD with about 2:00 to go in the game.  Father Ryan scored a TD on about a 75 yard hook and lateral in the closing minutes.  WC then lost on the road in the quarterfinals at Oak Ridge in a shoot out.  Undoubtedly the best WC team since they opened (consolidation) in the early 70's.  Though they did have several quality teams in the 70's and early 80's. The number of play-off wins by WC could probably be counted on one hand.