Hillsboro vs. Maryville.

Roba22

Just got the news Hillsboro has won so now we have Hillsboro and Maryville for the BIG ONE... I have felt all year that this game might happen if it worked out right.. I have read so much about Maryville and how they should win it all, on the other hand I have not been able to read much about Hillsboro OTHER then they are very good and could have the best Defense in the entire state as a unit! So this should be a super game.. I would like to know MORE about how these two match up on paper... So give me what you got FANS!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that this will come down to the same thing as last year...endurance. Maryville plumb wore out Hillsboro last year and by the 4th quarter they were too exhausted to stop us. I don't think that Hillsboro can hang with Maryville punch for punch for four quarters. Granted they are both great teams and Hillsboro is hungry, but I think the adrenaline will run out before the clock does. Then Maryville will either steadily pull away or jump infront. However, we have our starting and backup defensive ends out, we dip all the way to third string where a sophmore will be playing, but he seems capable enough. Does Hillsboro still have Walter Fisher Junior? I heard he was academically inelidgible, is that true?

I would give about anything to make that game... but I can not make it... I know that all the game will be Webcast right? What about haveing them on TV? When will the state of Tennessee join up with other states and broadcast the state championship's on TV so the entire state and wacth these awesome games.. I think it would be awesome for the players who have worked their butts off to get to this point..

Actually I think all the games are gonna be televised at least over here in East Tennessee on a Fox affiliate channel. The channel number depends on where you live, check your local listings.

Anyway, I agree that it will be a great game next weekend, but I have to disagree that Hillsboro will not have the endurance to stay with us. Last year they didn't, but now they will. Because they've got two 15-game seasons in a row, and more importantly, they had a much tougher schedule this year than Maryville did. Both during the regular season and the playoffs, especially in the playoffs.

I think it will be a close, close game. If Maryville does the same thing they did in the Central game (four turnovers in one quarter), they WILL lose! I say that and I'm a Maryville fan. Hillsboro is just too good a team, especially defensively, for us to be shooting ourselves in the feet and still hope to win.

But I don't think the Rebels will do that. They're way too focused and they want that third ring and I think they'll get it.

My prediction - Maryville 20, Hillsboro 10.

Or something like that anyway. ;)

I really think hillsboro has a chance. They have a great defense even with out walter fisher. They have LB joe sanders who is ranked along with CB chris russel in the rival top 15 and knox. top 25 college prospects from tennessee. They have four amazing running back in calvin byrant, marcelleus tibbs, justin merrit and chris woods plus qb brad doss can run the ball and pass when he needs to compared to past hillsboro qbs who could throw worth a flip. Hillsboro will come out fired. Score H:21 M:20.

I don't remember endurance being an issue in last year's game and don't recall Hillsboro getting dominated. It was 13-13 until Maryville converted consecutive Burros' turnovers into a pair of Stewart TDs within 75 seconds. Hillsboro quickly answered with a four-play, 61-yard TD drive that made it 26-20 entering the final quarter. Maryville outgained Hillsboro 404-372 and the teams combined for just five punts. Hillsboro converted 6-of-10 third downs. Maryville won the game with their offensive line play. In my opinion, the center should've been MVP. I remember it being a competitive, seven-point game - and I'd expect more of the same Saturday. I only hope you guys at Maryville get to stare into the Sun all afternoon this year.

We all meet again, don't we now? Funny how many threads here have left Hillsboro out of the finals. So few believers out there. Gonna be a great game against you all but I have faith things are gonna end differently this time.

Yes, as long as we don't turn the ball over foolishly this time Hillsboro will have a better shot at taking home the gold ball. It's just our destiny.

The team (Melrose) we beat last night in front of what had to be 10-12 thousand rowdy, spirited fans was a true championship-caliber test. We perservered. Before you all start thinking Hillsboro got out within an inch of their lives think about these things:

An undersized, out-quicked visiting team traveled 3.5 hours to a historically 'hostile' neighborhood in front of that many people and kept its composure the entire game. Even the official timekeeper for Melrose tipped the scales momentarily as he held the clock (intentionally or not) on four straight Melrose offensive downs toward the end of the 3rd quarter. After loud screaming and chants from Hillsboro fans and coaches the refs FINALLY obliged and took off nine seconds of what should have been at least 30-40 seconds, but whose counting?

Hillsboro's band is so lame they didn't even make the trip -- Melrose's band had to play our songs... and they did it well. We had 500 raucus Burro fans rattle our side all game long.

Melrose was EXTREMELY talented and speedy and I guarantee Antonio Heffner is a name you will be hearing in future Saturdays and Sundays. Coach Ingram will be 'kicking' (no pun) himself for some time for not going for that extra point. Hillsboro's defensive coordinator is STILL kicking himself for changing defenses (from man to zone) the week before last years' championship game. That opened a lot of new ground for Mr. Stewart. THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

What the news articles didn't mention was the breaks that dictate a game as much as anything. As Scrappy and a few others have said, last years' Maryville win over the Burros was no show of domination. This year won't be either.

[Edited by KP9481 on 11-30-02 2:00P]

[Edited by KP9481 on 11-30-02 2:03P]