Davidson Academy at USJ

Bellsburg2

In a rematch of last year's title game, Davidson Academy will travel to Jackson to take on the Bruins. This will represent the 6th all-time meeting of the two teams, with DA winning both battles last year during their state title run. Prior to that, the last meeting was in 2014 and Davidson holds the series lead 3-2 with all games decided by 10 points or less. The Bears bring a 17 game win streak to Hub City, dating back to early in the 2019 season. USJ's only blemish came on a close loss to JC in week 5.

Both teams have been prolific on offense and stingy on defense with USJ outscoring opponents 35-9 and Davidson outscoring theirs by a margin of 47-7. The Bruins did have the advantage of a bye week to prepare. I think both squads realize the implications of this game and will come in expecting a dogfight (or maybe a bearfight?). Both teams have been excellent at turning their opponents' miscues into points, so I expect the team that makes the least mistakes will come away with the W.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Really looking forward to this one.  On paper, these two appear evenly matched.  I’m slightly biased towards DA; son played on the 2018 championship team.

USJ has the better passing and kicking game—two factors which could loom large.  DA must defend/limit the passing game.  

While both teams have really good RBs, I give a slight edge to DA in the running game.  USJ cannot allow the Swinea kid to get in a rhythm or it could be a long night. 

Not sure if there have been any injuries to key players on either team.  

I don’t have a prediction at this time but of course leaning DA.  

I agree with Davidson having an edge. The champ is the champ until someone says otherwise. Swinea is a great RB. I’m sure USJ will do their best to plan for him, but certainly had no answers in Cookeville last year. DA has some really good options at WR/TE too, so the Bruins can’t just pack the box. USJ should have the advantage in special teams and a big play there could make a big difference in what I expect to be a close game for 4 quarters. Both teams have some studs in the trenches and USJ will be back at full strength after one of our veteran hogs missed the last 2 games to quarantine.

• Upvote 1

USJ might be better this year than last, but the problem is I think DA is too.

I've only seen highlights, but it looks like you guys might have a better passing game than last year. Think DA's lines aren't quite what they were last year but still very, very good.

Swinea is such a hard runner. If he hits the line of scrimmage with a head of steam, it's asking a whole lot of your db's to try and tackle him for four quarters.

DA is the champ and has got to be the favorite until proven otherwise. USJ has a balanced attack on O and some speedsters. They should be able to score a few touchdowns. The question is can the USJ front seven make enough plays in DA's backfield to force some punts?

Looking forward to this one!

• Upvote 1

The x factor in this game is going to be the weather. As heavy rain is a distinct possibility, the passing games would obviously be hindered for both schools. The game will come down to the play of the offensive lines of each school and which one will be able to spring their team's feature back into open ground. I do like the running back for Davidson Academy. I think his style of running will work better under adverse conditions. The other big factor is going to be the kicking game. USJ has the advantage in that department be it kickoffs/field goals or punting for field position over the course of the game. That's just my two cents worth.

• Upvote 1

Lead blockers sure help a team in nasty weather.        Bruin defense has been opportunistic in stealing Mo and hope they can do it again Friday.    Having big 50 back sure will help and a week to study can help.    DA looks to average around 43 offensive plays a game.       USJ has to find a way to keep that number a lot lower by stopping the TE throw on crucial 3rd downs.   

• Upvote 1

Everyone is spot on with their assessments.  Weather could truly make a difference in this game.  And as someone mentioned, if it comes down to the kicking game and special teams, you have to give it to USJ.  If I know Coach Quinn at DA, he will not kick to #1 or to any of the other speedsters.  The stakes are too high.  Glad to see #50 is back healthy but I can’t say I’m looking forward to seeing him against our boys. Lol

I look for Quinn to play it close to the vest no matter the weather conditions.  

Just now, Pantherpride45 said:

I’m thinking USJ’s run game with the Myles kid might be a bit too much too handle

It'll (the offense) be mixed up, but the rain never stopped Browder from throwing the ball. Turf may or may not change what's effective, but the receiver knows where he's going and the DB's do not.