Region 7-3A for 2021

CHARGERFAN

9 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Just curious, why do you think it will be denied? Because 8-3A would be too large, or what? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

Few reason actually. First, if you work for a sales company, and you're one of the highest salespeople for your company, you can go a little bit overboard when it comes to using the company's card on an out of town trip. Mr. Bolton is at the very bottom when it comes to the amount of sells he is selling. He's not picking up his weight. From a statewide perspective, Bolton is non-existent, hence the 3-28 record since 2017.

Region 7-3A is the same as Region 8-5A. Dyer County will have to make a minimum of 4 trips in the next two years to play their region opponents (Kingsbury, Central, Overton, and Southwind). Dyersburg will have to make two trips into Shelby County (Millington and Bolton) and a long drive (90 minute drive) to Bolivar. Bolton's drive to Dyersburg is a 75-85 minute drive, and it's an hour to Bolivar. 

It's also not going to be fair to Millington because they're basically seeing their neighbors want to move to another region due to travel, while they're going to stay. In addition, there are already more teams in Region 8-3A than they are in 7-3A, even with Bolton and Millington.

16 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Few reason actually. First, if you work for a sales company, and you're one of the highest salespeople for your company, you can go a little bit overboard when it comes to using the company's card on an out of town trip. Mr. Bolton is at the very bottom when it comes to the amount of sells he is selling. He's not picking up his weight. From a statewide perspective, Bolton is non-existent, hence the 3-28 record since 2017.

Region 7-3A is the same as Region 8-5A. Dyer County will have to make a minimum of 4 trips in the next two years to play their region opponents (Kingsbury, Central, Overton, and Southwind). Dyersburg will have to make two trips into Shelby County (Millington and Bolton) and a long drive (90 minute drive) to Bolivar. Bolton's drive to Dyersburg is a 75-85 minute drive, and it's an hour to Bolivar. 

It's also not going to be fair to Millington because they're basically seeing their neighbors want to move to another region due to travel, while they're going to stay. In addition, there are already more teams in Region 8-3A than they are in 7-3A, even with Bolton and Millington.

I agree that Bolton is not in a position of power. Realistically, they stand to make more ticket money in 7-3A, once Covid attendance limits are over. SCS schools typically have almost no crowds at their games. Playing in 7-3A, Bolton should expect good crowds in their visitor stands. Covington travels well, and I'm sure the other teams have bigger road followings than SCS teams do.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I agree that Bolton is not in a position of power. Realistically, they stand to make more ticket money in 7-3A, once Covid attendance limits are over. SCS schools typically have almost no crowds at their games. Playing in 7-3A, Bolton should expect good crowds in their visitor stands. Covington travels well, and I'm sure the other teams have bigger road followings than SCS teams do.

Agreed, Dyersburg and Covington will travel well! I think Ripley can travel well if they stay competitive. Millington will probably travel well too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I agree. I'm surprised Bolton wanted to stay with SCS but at the same time I'm surprised TSSAA wouldn't want to have as many "all Shelby Co school" regions  as possible. Just in case SCS superintendent wants to take a different path with all their schools, then it doesn't effect the rest of the state. If Bolton is in 7-3A and Shelby Co Schools chooses to do what they did this year then it effects both 7-3A & 8-3A. But if Bolton is in 8-3A then it only effects that region. Maybe that's not that big of a deal, I don't know.

14 hours ago, TENNFOOTBALL88 said:

I agree. I'm surprised Bolton wanted to stay with SCS but at the same time I'm surprised TSSAA wouldn't want to have as many "all Shelby Co school" regions  as possible. Just in case SCS superintendent wants to take a different path with all their schools, then it doesn't effect the rest of the state. If Bolton is in 7-3A and Shelby Co Schools chooses to do what they did this year then it effects both 7-3A & 8-3A. But if Bolton is in 8-3A then it only effects that region. Maybe that's not that big of a deal, I don't know.

Well, Covington had a non-Region game with Sheffield on our schedule this year. We lost that game when SCS chose not to play. It just meant another open date for us.

I suppose if SCS carries this not playing to next season, 7-3A would play with 5 teams. Same effect on 7-3A as if TSSAA put Bolton in 8-3A. We would play with 5 regardless. 

On 11/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, MarkH said:

7-3A is set for football. Bolivar, Bolton, Covington, Dyersburg, Millington and Ripley. Have already talked to Bolton's coach and they are appealing as they would rather stay with the rest of the SCS teams in 8-3A. Millington has plenty of history with the majority of the teams in this league. The Trojans played Covington (starting when they were Byars-Hall) for 59 straight years from 1926 to 1984 and 71 times overall. Millington was part of that Big 10 league with Dyersburg, Covington, Ripley, Haywood, JCM back in the day. The only team that the Trojans don't have much history with is Bolivar. The two schools have met only twice and that was in 1983 & 1984.

I'm sure Millington Central has a long history with Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg.  I consider myself fairly knowledgable about the old Big Ten Conference, but I seem to draw a blank when it comes to Millington.  I have no recollection of Millington Central ever being in the Big Ten.  What years were the Trojans in the Conference?

I'm going to veer a little bit off topic, but with Haywood's erratic covid season I'm bored.  For those who might be interested, here is a bit of history about the Big Ten.  The information I'm posting comes from "One Hundred Years of Haywood Tomcat Football" by Dr. Robert Rooks and from my own knowledge.

Irvin “Tiny” Knee from Ripley, R.K. Castellaw from Covington, and George Tyree from Somerville organized the Big Ten Conference in 1940.  Original members of the Big Ten Conference were Byars-Hall, Dyersburg, Fayette County, Grove (Paris), Haywood County, Humboldt, Milan, Peabody (Trenton), Ripley, and Union City.  Other schools that joined the Big Ten Conference over the years were Martin (1945-1956), Halls (1956-1964), and Jackson (1956-1969).

One of the highlights of the Big Ten were the playoff games which were played at 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.  As for the original Big Ten Conference, the last playoff game was played in Jackson on Thanksgiving Day 1968.  Haywood defeated the Jackson High Golden Bears by a score of 26-12.  There was no playoff game in 1969.  The Big Ten Championship trophy was awarded to Haywood in 1969 based on an undefeated season.  The original Big Ten Conference ceased to exist after the 1969 season.

There was another group of schools that claimed the Big Ten name until 1976, but it was a re-formed Conference.

The re-formed Big Ten Conference (1970-1976) actually had eight members:  Covington, Dyersburg, Fayette-Ware, Hardin County, Haywood, Jackson Central Merry,  Memphis University School, and Ripley.

I've tried my best to come up with an accurate list of the conference playoff games

1940 – Peabody defeated Fayette County 53-0 at Trenton? (I could not confirm the location.)
1941 – Dyersburg defeated Haywood 13-6 at Covington
1942 – Dyersburg defeated Humboldt 2-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1943 – Milan defeated Fayette County 7-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1944 – Humboldt defeated Byars-Hall 25-13 at Humboldt?
1945 – Byars-Hall defeated Dyersburg 2-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1946 – Paris Grove defeated Fayette County 7-6 at Jackson
1947 – Dyersburg defeated Haywood 25-13 at Trenton
1948 -  Dyersburg defeated Haywood 19-7 at Humboldt
1949 – Byars-Hall and Humboldt played to a 6-6 tie at Dyersburg
1950 – Humboldt defeated Haywood 20-14 at Trenton
1951 – Ripley defeated Byars-Hall 12-0 at Dyersburg
1952 – Ripley and Dyersburg played to a 7-7 tie at Trenton
1953 – Dyersburg defeated Ripley 26-7 at Trenton
1954 – Dyersburg defeated Peabody 46-7 at Trenton
1955 – Byars-Hall defeated Union City 14-12 (I could not confirm the location.)
1956 – Byars-Hall defeated Ripley 31-14 at Brownsville
1957 -  Haywood defeated Ripley 6-0 at Jackson
1958 – Jackson awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1959  - Ripley awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1960 – Haywood defeated Peabody 41-7 at Humboldt
1961 - Haywood defeated Jackson 6-0 at Jackson
1962 – Jackson defeated Haywood 34-7 at Jackson
1963 – Jackson defeated Haywood 26-7 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous and AP state champs in 1963)
1964 – Jackson defeated Haywood 27-0 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous state champs in 1964)
1965 – Ripley defeated Jackson 3-0 at Brownsville
1966 – Jackson defeated Byars-Hall 41-0 at Brownsville
1967 – Byars-Hall defeated Jackson 27-7 at Brownsville
1968 – Haywood defeated Jackson 26-12 at Jackson
1969 -  Haywood was declared the Conference Champion based on Haywood’s undefeated record. (no playoff)

Haywood was ranked #1 in the final AP Poll in 1969, but the Tomcats were not recognized as AP state champions because the TSSAA playoffs started in 1969.  Even though Haywood had an undefeated season, the Tomcats did not make the TSSAA playoffs.  Haywood had a AA enrollment, but opted to play in AAA.  The TSSAA awarded 10 points for a victory over another AAA team and 4 points for a victory over a AA team.  Haywood defeated two AA teams (Humboldt and Peabody) causing them to lose in the point total to Memphis Southside.  Only 4 teams in each class made it to the playoffs in 1969.  Big Ten  member Humboldt played in the AA finals losing to Loudon 30-0.

Number of Championship titles by team:

Dyersburg - 7  (1941, 1942. 1947, 1948, 1952 co-champion with Ripley,1953, 1954)
Byars-Hall (Covington) - 5  (1945, 1949 co-champion with Humboldt. 1955, 1956, 1967)
Haywood - 5  (1957, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969)
Jackson - 5  (1958, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966)
Ripley - 4  (1951, 1952 co-champion with Dyersburg, 1959, 1965)
Humboldt - 3  (1944, 1949 co-champion with Covington,1950)
Grove (Paris) - 1  (1946)
Milan - 1  (1943)
Peabody (Trenton) - 1  (1940)

Number of Championship Appearances by team (No championship game was played in 1958, 1959, 1969.)

Haywood - 11  (1941, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964,1968)
Byars-Hall - 8  (1944, 1945, 1949, 1951, 1955, 1956, 1966, 1967)
Dyersburg - 8  (1941, 1942, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1952,1953, 1954)
Jackson - 8  (1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968)
Ripley - 6   (1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1965)
Humboldt - 4  (1942, 1944, 1949, 1950)
Fayette County - 3  (1940, 1943, 1946)
Peabody - 3  (1940, 1953, 1960)
Milan - 1  (1943)
Paris Grove - 1  (1946)
Union City - 1  (1955)

When consolidation took place in the late 60s and early 70s, several Big Ten schools changed their names, colors, and/or mascot.  These changes had more to do with the history of the reformed conference (1970-1976).

Byars-Hall Wildcats (purple and gold) became the Covington Chargers (purple and gold)
Fayette County Panthers (black and gold) became the Fayette Ware Wildcats (blue and gold)
Haywood County Tomcats (purple and white) became the Haywood High Tomcats (purple and white)
Humboldt Rams (red and gray) became the Humboldt Vikings (red and gold)...Humboldt was not a member of the reformed conference.
Jackson Golden Bears (black and gold) became the Jackson Central-Merry Cougars (green and gold)
Paris Grove Blue Devils (blue and white) became the Henry County Patriots (red, blue, and white)...Henry Co. was not a member of the reformed conference.

Please help me fit Millington in the conference history.  I'm not sure why I want to know, since it's all in the distant past, but I just can't recall the Trojans ever being in the conference.

Edited by stacmot

23 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Covington is pretty much in the geographic center of this group of teams. The longest road trip for us is about an hour to Bolivar. Four of the teams are strung out along US 51 from Millington to Dyersburg. Covington traditionally plays Tipton County rivals Munford and Brighton, both of which are also on US 51. I'll be interested to see who we schedule as non-Region opponents. I vote for Haywood to be one of them. 

D'burg and Bolivar are 2 hours apart. They will have the longest road trip. But, that's not too bad once every two years, I guess. Covington has some history with Bolton in football.  It is interesting that we are reunited with Big 10 foes Ripley, Dyersburg, and Millington. We have more recent history with Ripley than any other Region team.

I vote for Covington and Haywood to play as well.  Why travel to Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, or halfway across the state when you have an old rival and tough non-region/class opponent just 21 miles away?  Of course I know it all depends on region schedules, scheduling in county rivals, and finding a date that would work for both teams and that's not an easy job.

I know Covington originally had a game scheduled with a team in Georgia that was cancelled.  After our game with North Side was cancelled, that allowed the Chargers and Tomcats to get together this year.  Even though Haywood lost, I thought it was a good game that brought back some memories of the past. 

Chargerfan, were you planning on traveling to Georgia if that game had been played?  If so, you truly are a number one Charger fan. I've gotten too old and cheap to do something like that...lol

2 hours ago, stacmot said:

I vote for Covington and Haywood to play as well.  Why travel to Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, or halfway across the state when you have an old rival and tough non-region/class opponent just 21 miles away?  Of course I know it all depends on region schedules, scheduling in county rivals, and finding a date that would work for both teams and that's not an easy job.

I know Covington originally had a game scheduled with a team in Georgia that was cancelled.  After our game with North Side was cancelled, that allowed the Chargers and Tomcats to get together this year.  Even though Haywood lost, I thought it was a good game that brought back some memories of the past. 

Chargerfan, were you planning on traveling to Georgia if that game had been played?  If so, you truly are a number one Charger fan. I've gotten too old and cheap to do something like that...lol

In a year with Covid, I would not have gone to Georgia to see the Chargers play. I have been to Tupelo, MS for a regular season game before, and have been to Nashville, Murfreesboro, and Cookeville for playoff games in the past. 

This year so far I have had to miss the game at Brighton because I couldn't get tickets. I have been able to see all the other games in person.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:11 PM, stacmot said:

I'm sure Millington Central has a long history with Covington, Ripley, and Dyersburg.  I consider myself fairly knowledgable about the old Big Ten Conference, but I seem to draw a blank when it comes to Millington.  I have no recollection of Millington Central ever being in the Big Ten.  What years were the Trojans in the Conference?

I'm going to veer a little bit off topic, but with Haywood's erratic covid season I'm bored.  For those who might be interested, here is a bit of history about the Big Ten.  The information I'm posting comes from "One Hundred Years of Haywood Tomcat Football" by Dr. Robert Rooks and from my own knowledge.

Irvin “Tiny” Knee from Ripley, R.K. Castellaw from Covington, and George Tyree from Somerville organized the Big Ten Conference in 1940.  Original members of the Big Ten Conference were Byars-Hall, Dyersburg, Fayette County, Grove (Paris), Haywood County, Humboldt, Milan, Peabody (Trenton), Ripley, and Union City.  Other schools that joined the Big Ten Conference over the years were Martin (1945-1956), Halls (1956-1964), and Jackson (1956-1969).

One of the highlights of the Big Ten were the playoff games which were played at 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.  As for the original Big Ten Conference, the last playoff game was played in Jackson on Thanksgiving Day 1968.  Haywood defeated the Jackson High Golden Bears by a score of 26-12.  There was no playoff game in 1969.  The Big Ten Championship trophy was awarded to Haywood in 1969 based on an undefeated season.  The original Big Ten Conference ceased to exist after the 1969 season.

There was another group of schools that claimed the Big Ten name until 1976, but it was a re-formed Conference.

The re-formed Big Ten Conference (1970-1976) actually had eight members:  Covington, Dyersburg, Fayette-Ware, Hardin County, Haywood, Jackson Central Merry,  Memphis University School, and Ripley.

I've tried my best to come up with an accurate list of the conference playoff games

1940 – Peabody defeated Fayette County 53-0 at Trenton? (I could not confirm the location.)
1941 – Dyersburg defeated Haywood 13-6 at Covington
1942 – Dyersburg defeated Humboldt 2-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1943 – Milan defeated Fayette County 7-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1944 – Humboldt defeated Byars-Hall 25-13 at Humboldt?
1945 – Byars-Hall defeated Dyersburg 2-0 (I could not confirm the location.)
1946 – Paris Grove defeated Fayette County 7-6 at Jackson
1947 – Dyersburg defeated Haywood 25-13 at Trenton
1948 -  Dyersburg defeated Haywood 19-7 at Humboldt
1949 – Byars-Hall and Humboldt played to a 6-6 tie at Dyersburg
1950 – Humboldt defeated Haywood 20-14 at Trenton
1951 – Ripley defeated Byars-Hall 12-0 at Dyersburg
1952 – Ripley and Dyersburg played to a 7-7 tie at Trenton
1953 – Dyersburg defeated Ripley 26-7 at Trenton
1954 – Dyersburg defeated Peabody 46-7 at Trenton
1955 – Byars-Hall defeated Union City 14-12 (I could not confirm the location.)
1956 – Byars-Hall defeated Ripley 31-14 at Brownsville
1957 -  Haywood defeated Ripley 6-0 at Jackson
1958 – Jackson awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1959  - Ripley awarded the title based on round robin play (no playoff)
1960 – Haywood defeated Peabody 41-7 at Humboldt
1961 - Haywood defeated Jackson 6-0 at Jackson
1962 – Jackson defeated Haywood 34-7 at Jackson
1963 – Jackson defeated Haywood 26-7 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous and AP state champs in 1963)
1964 – Jackson defeated Haywood 27-0 at Brownsville (the Golden Bears were crowned Litkenhous state champs in 1964)
1965 – Ripley defeated Jackson 3-0 at Brownsville
1966 – Jackson defeated Byars-Hall 41-0 at Brownsville
1967 – Byars-Hall defeated Jackson 27-7 at Brownsville
1968 – Haywood defeated Jackson 26-12 at Jackson
1969 -  Haywood was declared the Conference Champion based on Haywood’s undefeated record. (no playoff)

Haywood was ranked #1 in the final AP Poll in 1969, but the Tomcats were not recognized as AP state champions because the TSSAA playoffs started in 1969.  Even though Haywood had an undefeated season, the Tomcats did not make the TSSAA playoffs.  Haywood had a AA enrollment, but opted to play in AAA.  The TSSAA awarded 10 points for a victory over another AAA team and 4 points for a victory over a AA team.  Haywood defeated two AA teams (Humboldt and Peabody) causing them to lose in the point total to Memphis Southside.  Only 4 teams in each class made it to the playoffs in 1969.  Big Ten  member Humboldt played in the AA finals losing to Loudon 30-0.

Number of Championship titles by team:

Dyersburg - 7  (1941, 1942. 1947, 1948, 1952 co-champion with Ripley,1953, 1954)
Byars-Hall (Covington) - 5  (1945, 1949 co-champion with Humboldt. 1955, 1956, 1967)
Haywood - 5  (1957, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969)
Jackson - 5  (1958, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966)
Ripley - 4  (1951, 1952 co-champion with Dyersburg, 1959, 1965)
Humboldt - 3  (1944, 1949 co-champion with Covington,1950)
Grove (Paris) - 1  (1946)
Milan - 1  (1943)
Peabody (Trenton) - 1  (1940)

Number of Championship Appearances by team (No championship game was played in 1958, 1959, 1969.)

Haywood - 11  (1941, 1947, 1948, 1950, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964,1968)
Byars-Hall - 8  (1944, 1945, 1949, 1951, 1955, 1956, 1966, 1967)
Dyersburg - 8  (1941, 1942, 1945, 1947, 1948, 1952,1953, 1954)
Jackson - 8  (1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968)
Ripley - 6   (1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1957, 1965)
Humboldt - 4  (1942, 1944, 1949, 1950)
Fayette County - 3  (1940, 1943, 1946)
Peabody - 3  (1940, 1953, 1960)
Milan - 1  (1943)
Paris Grove - 1  (1946)
Union City - 1  (1955)

When consolidation took place in the late 60s and early 70s, several Big Ten schools changed their names, colors, and/or mascot.  These changes had more to do with the history of the reformed conference (1970-1976).

Byars-Hall Wildcats (purple and gold) became the Covington Chargers (purple and gold)
Fayette County Panthers (black and gold) became the Fayette Ware Wildcats (blue and gold)
Haywood County Tomcats (purple and white) became the Haywood High Tomcats (purple and white)
Humboldt Rams (red and gray) became the Humboldt Vikings (red and gold)...Humboldt was not a member of the reformed conference.
Jackson Golden Bears (black and gold) became the Jackson Central-Merry Cougars (green and gold)
Paris Grove Blue Devils (blue and white) became the Henry County Patriots (red, blue, and white)...Henry Co. was not a member of the reformed conference.

Please help me fit Millington in the conference history.  I'm not sure why I want to know, since it's all in the distant past, but I just can't recall the Trojans ever being in the conference.

I did not realize that the Big 10 went back so far. My records show Millington and Covington (Byars Hall) playing since 1926. Started playing Ripley in 1927 but not consistently year in and year out. In the 40's and 50's we played Haywood and Fayette Co some of the years but not every year. I am guessing we were part of the reformed conference. 1972 was the first year that we played Covington, Haywood, Ripley, and Dyersburg in the same year so I am guessing that's when league play started. Played MUS in 1973 and added JCM in 1974