MJ @ Oakland

ttitan27

On 10/18/2020 at 11:24 AM, TomLHS said:

I agree that Riverdale’s defensive front is legit, however, in a rematch with Oakland I can see where it would be a run away game.  There are some weaknesses in Riverdale’s back end of the defense in which Oakland can take advantage.  Strange that Blackman has been so disappointing this year.  Appears to be a coaching issue.

1 hour ago, TomLHS said:

I agree totally with that assessment.  Riverdale’s secondary does have some holes.

Point being, a few weeks ago you pegged a potential rematch as a game that you see as a runaway for Oakland. Now your picking any and everybody to upset Oakland, based on your opinion that Oakland's defense is a "sieve", "achilles heal" and "fair to poor" without offering no proof because the numbers don't back that statement up. I

f you said Oakland was smaller upfront and thus more vulnerable to the run I could agree with that. I could even go with this isn't their best defense talent wise. If Oakland's defense is considered to be poor, then so is about 99.9% of the defenses in this state. Oakland basically gets the Maryville treatment now, having dominated the local competition so thoroughly that people trying to look for anything and everything as a perceived weakness.

Oakland Defense PPG through 10 games (under Creasy):

2020- 85 (8.5)

2019- 79 (7.9)

2018- 93 (9.3)

2017- 112 (11.2)

2016- 47 (4.7)

2015- 129 (12.9)

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

Point being, a few weeks ago you pegged a potential rematch as a game that you see as a runaway for Oakland. Now your picking any and everybody to upset Oakland, based on your opinion that Oakland's defense is a "sieve", "achilles heal" and "fair to poor" without offering no proof because the numbers don't back that statement up. I

f you said Oakland was smaller upfront and thus more vulnerable to the run I could agree with that. I could even go with this isn't their best defense talent wise. If Oakland's defense is considered to be poor, then so is about 99.9% of the defenses in this state. Oakland basically gets the Maryville treatment now, having dominated the local competition so thoroughly that people trying to look for anything and everything as a perceived weakness.

2020- 85 (8.5)

2019- 79 (7.9)

2018- 93 (9.3)

2017- 112 (11.2)

2016- 47 (4.7)

2015- 129 (12.9)

I see both sides. Oakland’s defense got somewhat exposed by both Stewart’s Creek and Warren County. To beat them you have to have everything go your way; penalties, turnovers, win special teams and just hope you make a few big plays. MJ has hung with Oakland the last two years. Hopefully it’s more of the same Friday night. 

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

2 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

2020- 85 (8.5)

2019- 79 (7.9)

2018- 93 (9.3)

2017- 112 (11.2)

2016- 47 (4.7)

2015- 129 (12.9)

Yes you can move the ball on Oakland's D a bit, but it's a long way down the field 3-5 yards at a time.  And you have to do it every possession, because Oakland is going to score quickly and often.  The Oakland drives that stall are typically due to a penalty or turnover, and those aren't frequent occurrences. 

Are both teams healthy for the game this week?

7 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

2020- 85 (8.5)

2019- 79 (7.9)

2018- 93 (9.3)

2017- 112 (11.2)

2016- 47 (4.7)

2015- 129 (12.9)

Once again you fail to use other metrics.  How about time consuming drives that keep the offense on the bench?  I guarantee you that if that defense gets the chance to play Maryville, game, set, match for the Rebels.  I would also add that your points per game from previous years contain more competitive teams. This year’s team had a powder puff schedule.  Wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by TomLHS

5 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

I see both sides. Oakland’s defense got somewhat exposed by both Stewart’s Creek and Warren County. To beat them you have to have everything go your way; penalties, turnovers, win special teams and just hope you make a few big plays. MJ has hung with Oakland the last two years. Hopefully it’s more of the same Friday night. 

Well stated, MJGOLDENBEARS.