New Look Region 2-2A

HILTONHEAD2020

On 2/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, UCPrepShowcase said:

York was literally two plays from winning 4AAA last year with a brand new coach... if they can stay healthy they could be a legit contender in 2A...

Early in the year I thought YAI had another dud on their hands especially after Jackson county. By the end of the year it was a different story. I called YAI as the favorite for R2 2A for 2021 & 2022 months ago unless we can adapt our offense to score more points. Our defense is there but you just can’t hold good teams to 14 anymore and our current philosophy doesn’t typically score a ton of points. If we can change a few things we will challenge. If not I see us and Rockwood as a 2/3 battle and possibly Monterey in there somewhere with wartburg in last by a fair margin. 

Edited by crow

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, ChineseFlu said:

Found it interesting that the Friday Main Event show picked Rockwood in this region and everyone else is picking Oneida, Monterey, or York.  

If I had to pick that region I'd pick 

1) York

2) Oneida

3) Monterey

4) Rockwood.

Just a long shot but I could easily see that. Rockwood retains Hannibal so could be explosive but I believe they graduated alot. Im probably way off though who knows.

3 hours ago, Yeti said:

If I had to pick that region I'd pick 

1) York

2) Oneida

3) Monterey

4) Rockwood.

Just a long shot but I could easily see that. Rockwood retains Hannibal so could be explosive but I believe they graduated alot. Im probably way off though who knows.

I agree with Oneida/Monterey a coin toss in 2/3. 

3 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

Found it interesting that the Friday Main Event show picked Rockwood in this region and everyone else is picking Oneida, Monterey, or York.  

They also talked about how much Tyler jefferies would help the Greenback team with his size and D1 offers. Problem is he transferred to Alcoa early last season. They have a lot of info to look at so it’s hard for them to focus on much other than last year’s record and a roster. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, crow said:

They also talked about how much Tyler jefferies would help the Greenback team with his size and D1 offers. Problem is he transferred to Alcoa early last season. They have a lot of info to look at so it’s hard for them to focus on much other than last year’s record and a roster. 

While I liked seeing some football news, they had very limited info on a bunch of schools. region 2 will be very interesting to keep up with, looks like a crap shoot to me.

4 hours ago, pujo said:

While I liked seeing some football news, they had very limited info on a bunch of schools. region 2 will be very interesting to keep up with, looks like a crap shoot to me.

I agree. I think YAI has the edge for the one and wartburg is likely the 5 but the top 4 honestly could shake out any possible way especially 2-4. Honestly don’t see any true contenders this year unless YAI takes the next step. I think they’ve got the horses to make some noise. Coaching is their big question Mark for me but if last year was an indicator that was falling into place to. 

1 hour ago, crow said:

I agree. I think YAI has the edge for the one and wartburg is likely the 5 but the top 4 honestly could shake out any possible way especially 2-4. Honestly don’t see any true contenders this year unless YAI takes the next step. I think they’ve got the horses to make some noise. Coaching is their big question Mark for me but if last year was an indicator that was falling into place to. 

Guess I would give York the nod also, I'm sure they are one of the biggest schools in 2a.

44 minutes ago, pujo said:

Guess I would give York the nod also, I'm sure they are one of the biggest schools in 2a.

They also put together a talented squad every so often. This seems to be one of those. Add to that they seem to finally have a pretty good coach (with potential to be really good it would seem) and dropping a classification it may be combining to be a good run for them the next couple of years. 

York returns the bulk of their team on both sides of the ball as well as moving down in classification. Alot of new faces on the coaching staff this year PLUS an entire spring and fall camp to get more prepared for Coach Johnson's style makes this year's team even more dangerous. The injury bug really hurt the Dragons early last year (starting QB, WR, and RB all missed the last 6-7 games) but they gained invaluable experience for Region 43A QB of the Year Freshman Myles Leffew (brother of uber talented former YAI QB Landrick Leffew). The younger Leffew lead his team to a 3-2 region record with only a 1pt loss at Upperman (4th and goal inside 2mins left came up 1ft short) and a 7-0 loss AT Smith Co (int return for TD late in 4th qtr). The Dragons got progressively better under 1st year Coach Johnson, especially considering the COVID issues of being at a state ran school. 2021 could be a breakout year for the always physical Dragons.

12 hours ago, UCPrepShowcase said:

York returns the bulk of their team on both sides of the ball as well as moving down in classification. Alot of new faces on the coaching staff this year PLUS an entire spring and fall camp to get more prepared for Coach Johnson's style makes this year's team even more dangerous. The injury bug really hurt the Dragons early last year (starting QB, WR, and RB all missed the last 6-7 games) but they gained invaluable experience for Region 43A QB of the Year Freshman Myles Leffew (brother of uber talented former YAI QB Landrick Leffew). The younger Leffew lead his team to a 3-2 region record with only a 1pt loss at Upperman (4th and goal inside 2mins left came up 1ft short) and a 7-0 loss AT Smith Co (int return for TD late in 4th qtr). The Dragons got progressively better under 1st year Coach Johnson, especially considering the COVID issues of being at a state ran school. 2021 could be a breakout year for the always physical Dragons.

Yep, like I said the first few weeks last season I thought it was gonna be a bad stretch again but I watched them a fair bit last year and by mid season they had my attention. They’ve been my region 2 pick for 2021 & 2022 since the reclassification was announced. To be clear I don’t think they’re there yet but I fully expect they will be there soon. Unless they just lay an egg they’ll be tough this year and next. With a more modern offense we have the horses to challenge but with our current offense and their defense we will likely struggle to score on them. Our game as well as the YAI / Rockwood game will be very physical. 

Edited by crow