Arlington v. Dyer County Postgame

GrumpyBulldog

6 minutes ago, OrangeGuru said:

Have you heard what has supposed to be said from DC ? I have not. But willing to make a judgement on words over an assault doesnt really seem appropriate. I do think it is time to let it drop from the discussion which I am going to do and see whether appropriate action comes from administration or whether its a just a finger wagging and play the part of the victim.

I have heard what the comments are about, which is why I have passed my judgement on it. However, I've been very clear that his comments didn't justify assault. My hope is DC admin will take a serious look into his words and actions, and not just sweep it under the rug.

13 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

We have played Arlington every year but this year. We have never had any problems with them. Just a tough game.

She seems to have a great relationship with girls all over the place. The games I have watched she has always showed a lot of respect to other programs. She is a very humble person.  Always see her hugging and talking to the opposing team after all her games. Even after the Dyers C multiple pictures surfaced on social media of her hugging and encouraging the girls on their team.    It is a very unfortunate situation, and if she didn’t know she didn’t know. 

14 hours ago, rebelman101 said:

I will say this... When we had a long layoff between the regular season and district tournament, we were calling teams left and right trying to schedule a game. Since Greenfield played Arlington in the past, we reached out to coach shields to see if she wanted to play us. She was very complementary on our program  and knew that we had a good team. The game was well played and everyone was on their best behavior. Both teams had great sportsmanship and even picked each opposing player up when they were down. After the game some of the players parents and fans went up to her and thanked her for a great game and we were very thankful that they drove 2 hours to play  us on a school night. In turn she was very proud of our programs success and wished us luck in the postseason. Coach Shields is a great coach and she has a great relationship with her girls( even working with some one on one in the offseason). Her Facebook page is filled with positive energy and just her team having fun either in practice or during games. Its very unfortunate that this mess has happened to the Arlington and I hate it for her players. 

She seems to have a great relationship with girls all over the place. The games I have watched she has always showed a lot of respect to other programs. She is a very humble person.  Always see her hugging and talking to the opposing team after all her games. Even after the Dyers C multiple pictures surfaced on social media of her hugging and encouraging the girls on their team.    It is a very unfortunate situation, and if she didn’t know she didn’t know.  

59 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

I have heard what the comments are about, which is why I have passed my judgement on it. However, I've been very clear that his comments didn't justify assault. My hope is DC admin will take a serious look into his words and actions, and not just sweep it under the rug.

Can you share with us the facts of what the comments were about? I have read the police reports and have read the TSSAA letters that show hard concrete factual information. It’s already been proven that there was no contact between Shields and McCord. The video footage from Arlington High School showed that. The facts that we do know. We know who the attacker was and his relationship with Shields. We know that several players were involved with the incident as either a bystander, as someone enticing the violence, or by being in the getaway car. I’ve also seen Shields statements by the police where she contradicts herself. She started out saying her son wasn’t there and then he left early etc, and then saying this is my only son and he didn’t do this. When in reality that was not the case. She started out with the whole thing not being truthful. And then her son gets arrested the next day and was charged with assault which from what I’m reading and seeing in reports will probably go to assault with a weapon. These are FACTS. But I would love to hear these statements from McCord that were said and I would like to know how that you know these are facts and not a 14 year olds spun words to Shields, who could have spun them to her players and family. Have you ever played the game where you put everyone in a line and you tell a one sentence story. And you tell the next person the story one time and then it trickles down to the next person. Have you seen how much changes between person to person when the first knows the truth and then the last person tells something completely different. Could be the same case here. All I know is the facts of the situation. All I know is a man has been hospitalized and not working and he is being viewed as the problem and the person who did everything. And please tell me why Shields son and family members started this whole thing and justify their actions. You can’t do it! It sucks for the girls and I totally agree with that, but the actions of their leader and the actions of a few on the team are going to cost them their season. It sucks but it’s life. You have consequences for your actions.

and it’s funny how people from Arlington are making accounts just to say “positive things” about Coach Shields. I’ve always thought she was a great person and could be a great role model to the girls of Memphis. But her actions on this incident and her actions with the incident that occurred at Dyer County with her profanity and allowing her players to cuss the Dyer county players and staff was uncalled for. As you saw in the videos earlier she was accessed a technical foul and never sat down the rest of the game, she should have been tossed in the 3rd quarter. There’s no doubt that she is a good coach but she has to learn to cool her jets when it comes to her actions 

Edited by WestTNroundball
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestTNroundball said:

Can you share with us the facts of what the comments were about? I have read the police reports and have read the TSSAA letters that show hard concrete factual information. It’s already been proven that there was no contact between Shields and McCord. The video footage from Arlington High School showed that. The facts that we do know. We know who the attacker was and his relationship with Shields. We know that several players were involved with the incident as either a bystander, as someone enticing the violence, or by being in the getaway car. I’ve also seen Shields statements by the police where she contradicts herself. She started out saying her son wasn’t there and then he left early etc, and then saying this is my only son and he didn’t do this. When in reality that was not the case. She started out with the whole thing not being truthful. And then her son gets arrested the next day and was charged with assault which from what I’m reading and seeing in reports will probably go to assault with a weapon. These are FACTS. But I would love to hear these statements from McCord that were said and I would like to know how that you know these are facts and not a 14 year olds spun words to Shields, who could have spun them to her players and family. Have you ever played the game where you put everyone in a line and you tell a one sentence story. And you tell the next person the story one time and then it trickles down to the next person. Have you seen how much changes between person to person when the first knows the truth and then the last person tells something completely different. Could be the same case here. All I know is the facts of the situation. All I know is a man has been hospitalized and not working and he is being viewed as the problem and the person who did everything. And please tell me why Shields son and family members started this whole thing and justify their actions. You can’t do it! It sucks for the girls and I totally agree with that, but the actions of their leader and the actions of a few on the team are going to cost them their season. It sucks but it’s life. You have consequences for your actions.

and it’s funny how people from Arlington are making accounts just to say “positive things” about Coach Shields. I’ve always thought she was a great person and could be a great role model to the girls of Memphis. But her actions on this incident and her actions with the incident that occurred at Dyer County with her profanity and allowing her players to cuss the Dyer county players and staff was uncalled for. As you saw in the videos earlier she was accessed a technical foul and never sat down the rest of the game, she should have been tossed in the 3rd quarter. There’s no doubt that she is a good coach but she has to learn to cool her jets when it comes to her actions 

It isn't my place to share. I've heard that there is potentially hard evidence of at least some of the things that were said, and if those ever make it to light, we'll all get to see what was said. You are correct in stating the he never said anything directly to their coach and that all was passed down through word of mouth. My guess is that if you know that much of the story, you probably already know what was alleged to have been the topic of his comments. The exact things he said could have been changed or worsened as they went down the line.

If the things he said eventually come to light, we can all judge for ourselves. I'm not out here trying to issue penalties against McCord, but I am trying to be realistic with everyone that this subject might not be finished. I assumed if something was going to happen, it would have already happened, so I could be wrong. 

22 hours ago, WestTNroundball said:

Wow

3 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Reading the thread from this reporter, my understanding is judge threw out TSSAA's motion to dismiss the restraining order off the bat. TSSAA tried to make a power play, and he didn't budge. My guess is they'll have to present their case, which should be interested.

The big issue is the kids that had nothing to do with this will be hurt in one way or another.