Miss Basketball

mas1821

1 hour ago, SportsWestTN said:

Been a while since I've seen her play, so hard for me to comment on the comparison between the two. Will say it isn't supposed to be a talent award, but an award based on production, which hopefully is what you see from someone with great talent. Hart isn't going to get big D-1 offers because she is an undersized post (at least at the collegiate level; need to be well over six foot to be a post at that level). Doesn't change the production she has, if anything it makes it that much more impressive. 

Weathers is certainly deserving of the honor. She has been one of the best players in the state since she started playing high school ball. 

Top to bottom (ppg, rpg, apg, bpg, spg), there's not a better player in A than Karly (from a statistical perspective or overall ability).  Madison and Kassie are both ballers, but imho, lack the total skillset to stack up to Karly.

Unfortunately, I lost all respect for the Mr/Miss Basketball awards 15 years ago.  

It was then that it became a campaign/popularity contest and not about the best player.    Some coaches & schools actually print campaign flyer type materials abd send out to voters.  Ridiculous.

One school had 2 girls win in back to back seasons and never made it out of the Region those 2 years.  They were the same age - one got it as a Junior and the other as a Senior.   How do you have 2 Miss Basketball winners on the team for 2 years and can’t even get to SubState.    That did it for me.

Edited by EagleClaw
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, EagleClaw said:

Unfortunately, I lost all respect for the Mr/Miss Basketball awards 15 years ago.  

It was then that it became a campaign/popularity contest and not about the best player.    Some coaches & schools actually print campaign flyer type materials abd send out to voters.  Ridiculous.

One school had 2 girls win in back to back seasons and never made it out of the Region those 2 years.  They were the same age - one got it as a Junior and the other as a Senior.   How do you have 2 Miss Basketball winners on the team for 2 years and can’t even get to SubState.    That did it for me.

It is a nice honor if you win it, but you are correct in stating that often it is based on popularity/hype. The people that vote on the award don't get an opportunity to watch games outside of their coverage area. They vote for the people they know, and then reach out to colleagues in other areas for information on the rest (or they go with the hype they hear of players from other areas). It's hard to really know how players stack up if they aren't playing similar competition, and even then it can be tough. 

I try not to get worked up about any of the Mr/Miss awards, because I know it has its shortcomings. Gold balls aren't given, they are earned. That should be the focus. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EagleClaw said:

I agree.

A few years ago there were two kids that should have a least been nominees, but I never saw their names mentioned. One was Hailey Hardaway from Bolivar and I can't remember the other kid's name from South Side. 

Edited by BallIsLife1

7 hours ago, SportsWestTN said:

It is a nice honor if you win it, but you are correct in stating that often it is based on popularity/hype. The people that vote on the award don't get an opportunity to watch games outside of their coverage area. They vote for the people they know, and then reach out to colleagues in other areas for information on the rest 

I edited SWTN's post.....

I agree with most everything you said SportsWestTN. I do however think somethings maybe changing.

A lot of games are now posted on YouTube for all to see. This allows Voters for the Miss Basketball Award to see more players from around the state to be seen.

I ran a YouTube/CoachT campaign this season in hopes to boost Oak Ridge's Kamari Mitchell-Steen's odds. I constantly posted when and where you could watch OR play.

I have no idea if my plan had any success or not. I do think more and more people will attempt to do what I did. They will probably do it better than me.

How did you think it played out on CoachT?  I did my best to be fair to all players. I posted nice things on the Stone Memorial and Maryville players. I did post most on the OR player,                                                                                                                    

2 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

How did you think it played out on CoachT?  I did my best to be fair to all players. I posted nice things on the Stone Memorial and Maryville players. I did post most on the OR player,                                                                                                                    

My take, if your stats meet the criteria great, if you are not a d1 level player being recruited or committed then your out of consideration especially AA and AAA.