Clarksville Academy

Viking38

On 6/11/2021 at 4:59 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Davidson Academy was pretty good the last couple of years. But I feel like Peabody was 2 scores better. That was the only team in Div 2-A that could have played with Peabody. 

DA last year, FCS, Lausanne a few times. Heck, FCS had one of its least talented teams last season and ran over TC who made it to the semis. A and AA are weaker across the board that 2A and the games played over the years show it. It’s hard to use common opponents but there are samples. 

You picked one team but top to bottom it’s not close year in and year out. 

Edited by Playerscoach

Davidson Academy was pretty good the last couple of years. But I feel like Peabody was 2 scores better. That was the only team in Div 2-A that could have played with Peabody. 

Yet USJ beat Mcenzie worse than Peabody did the two times they played them. It’s hard to use comparative scores but USJ could have played with Peabody IMO and they were beaten soundly by DA. 

Edited by Playerscoach

1 hour ago, Playerscoach said:

DA last year, FCS, Lausanne a few times. Heck, FCS had one of its least talented teams last season and ran over TC who made it to the semis. A and AA are weaker across the board that 2A and the games played over the years show it. It’s hard to use common opponents but there are samples. 

You picked one team but top to bottom it’s not close year in and year out. 

1 hour ago, Playerscoach said:

Yet USJ beat Mcenzie worse than Peabody did the two times they played them. It’s hard to use comparative scores but USJ could have played with Peabody IMO and they were beaten soundly by DA. 

Good discussion. I think you have many valid points. First I would just mention that I didn’t necessarily pick one team. TraderTwo mentioned Peabody so I just followed up on that. I like you don’t necessarily like to compare scores but what you said is spot on. I would just argue that comparing scores was more difficult last year than ever before due to Covid. Who knows what teams were missing from week to week. But in regards to scores with USJ, McKenzie and Peabody I think the fact that Peabody and McKenzie are in the same region leads to closer games. They usually play each other twice per year and both staffs are very familiar with each other. McKenzie and USJ rarely play so the unfamiliarity comes into play. 

I do concede that many of the top D2-A teams were better than the top 1A and 2A teams. I still believe that the Peabody would have beaten DA last year but who knows. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

I agree. I went to Cookeville in '19 to watch our old coaches (USJ) in the the title game, and DA came from behind to beat them with a stout defense and a great back...this past season the gap was wider, but I think that Peabody was at least two scores better than them in either season. I may have misunderstood, but the post that prompted my question said "Anybody in DI-A/AA" and that the lower teams in DII scheduled them for wins. I also interpreted that it was in the current three division alignment in DII, where there are only two or three teams that could have scheduled Meigs, South Pitt, Greenback, ect... and had a reasonable chance.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Good discussion. I think you have many valid points. First I would just mention that I didn’t necessarily pick one team. TraderTwo mentioned Peabody so I just followed up on that. I like you don’t necessarily like to compare scores but what you said is spot on. I would just argue that comparing scores was more difficult last year than ever before due to Covid. Who knows what teams were missing from week to week. But in regards to scores with USJ, McKenzie and Peabody I think the fact that Peabody and McKenzie are in the same region leads to closer games. They usually play each other twice per year and both staffs are very familiar with each other. McKenzie and USJ rarely play so the unfamiliarity comes into play. 

I do concede that many of the top D2-A teams were better than the top 1A and 2A teams. I still believe that the Peabody would have beaten DA last year but who knows. Just my opinion. 

Good stuff. I look forward to watching H2O and TC once my youngest graduates. You can’t beat those atmospheres. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I agree. I went to Cookeville in '19 to watch our old coaches (USJ) in the the title game, and DA came from behind to beat them with a stout defense and a great back...this past season the gap was wider, but I think that Peabody was at least two scores better than them in either season. I may have misunderstood, but the post that prompted my question said "Anybody in DI-A/AA" and that the lower teams in DII scheduled them for wins. I also interpreted that it was in the current three division alignment in DII, where there are only two or three teams that could have scheduled Meigs, South Pitt, Greenback, ect... and had a reasonable chance.

Good post. 

On 6/12/2021 at 7:21 PM, Playerscoach said:

I just ran across this thread randomly. We scrimmaged usj prior to the season in both 18 and 19. We beat convincingly. I know I know it was just a scrimmage. Scores of games can be deceiving in the first mckenzie game there was one drive we scored on mckenzie 3 times in a row with 2 of them being called back. Peabody either had one or 2 scores called back in the playoffs against them. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2021 at 5:23 PM, howdoitknow said:

Congrats to Scott Murray on being hired as the head coach.  Coach Murray has previously served as the head coach at Glencliff, Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, and Smith County.  I hope he does a good job at Clarksville Academy as well.  

"Does a good job at Clarksville Academy as well" This guy has never done good and has lasted nowhere. Good luck to them in their next coaching search. Horrible hire.