Cornersville @ Forrest

dawgswin

14 minutes ago, Salem said:

In the present world. 

Both coaches had great seasons when they had a great running back. Both staffs are barely hovering over .500 when not handing off to E Woodard or N McClendon. Does Cornersville have a winning record in region since Eli W graduated? One playoff win against Collinwood? A loss to Community is on the resume as well.

The fun part is the guy who Forrest said couldn't play running back gets to come to Forrest and play running back. If he has a big game and the Forrest offense goes no where then someone has some explaining to do. 

Randolph carried us to two state championship games. Eli was great yes but  putting him in spots to make him successful is from great coaching as well. 

Had the state champion Fayetteville beat last year if not fumbling inside the 10 twice. 

18 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

i personally do not think Warner will have that great a game. I am happy to be wrong. he wont be impotent but i dont think he will be the reason Cornersville wins. If they score 2 TDs that might be all they need. 

That is what I like about this game.  You think that one player isn't going to have that great of a game (not saying that you are incorrect, just using this as an example) and then next thing you know the kid goes off and has a monster game. But, I do really hope that you are wrong, I would really like to see him put up a monster game, not just in this game but for the rest of the season.  I want to see these kids do great all the time.  Due to Cornersville not having beaten Forrest in a while, it would be nice to see them win, no matter how good or bad Forrest is.  I've seen this from both the Forrest and Cornersville side.    

17 hours ago, Salem said:

The quote was "no more significance than" some other teams on our schedule. We absolutely want to win this game. I hope for good weather, a huge crowd, and a good game this Friday. 

It's not a slight but our players, students, and fans have built a bigger rivalry with Eagleville. They continued to play us and won their share of games over the years. The kids start playing in kindergarten and play all the way thru 12th grade. Last week both sides were packed well before kickoff. Same with Cascade since they are also in our Middle School conference. Since their high school team is respectable now and it's a region game the rivalry has gotten bigger. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I truly understand the "rivalry" that Forrest has made with the other teams.  I mean you have to play each other more times than not to truly become a rivalry.  But I feel that either side, even though they haven't played in a while, want to beat each other.  No matter that Cornersville is a 1A school and Forrest is a 2A school.  They still want to beat each other (this is just my honest opinion).  I have been on both sides of this game. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

In the present world. 

Both coaches had great seasons when they had a great running back. Both staffs are barely hovering over .500 when not handing off to E Woodard or N McClendon. Does Cornersville have a winning record in region since Eli W graduated? One playoff win against Collinwood? A loss to Community is on the resume as well.

The fun part is the guy who Forrest said couldn't play running back gets to come to Forrest and play running back. If he has a big game and the Forrest offense goes no where then someone has some explaining to do. 

I get your perspective but I will have a hard time agreeing that a guy who was just an assistant 3 years ago, and hasnt won anything substantial yet, is better than the guy with (2) state championship appearances.

Then add in the fact that historically speaking, Cornersville was one of the worst programs in 1A high school football. Yes, he had gobs of talent on those (2) state championship teams, but it has been proven many times that talent doesn’t get you there. It’s a combination of that and coaching. There have been kids who have come thru the Cornersville progam, who’s talent was on par with Woodard and anyone else you name from those teams. Their talent was overshadowed by ineffective coaching (not talking strictly about past head coaches, the assistants were poor in some cases, too).

so yeah, when you pit Randolph/Stephenson against each other and factor in their respective accomplishments at this point in their careers, nobody in their right mind is going to refer to that as a “draw” lol.

That statement has led me to question the rest of your post in regards to what position groups have the “edge”. If you misjudged the obvious coaching advantage, then I’m sure your other observations are incorrect (respectfully of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rnorris92 said:

That is what I like about this game.  You think that one player isn't going to have that great of a game (not saying that you are incorrect, just using this as an example) and then next thing you know the kid goes off and has a monster game. But, I do really hope that you are wrong, I would really like to see him put up a monster game, not just in this game but for the rest of the season.  I want to see these kids do great all the time.  Due to Cornersville not having beaten Forrest in a while, it would be nice to see them win, no matter how good or bad Forrest is.  I've seen this from both the Forrest and Cornersville side.    

hes a talented player. i saw him in youth and middle school. i think hes more of a luke kuechly type than a natural running back- then again what do i know. he might rush for 200 yds fri although i doubt it.

again Forrest has had good defenses the last season or so they just cannot friggin score. 

50 minutes ago, cornerback10 said:

I get your perspective but I will have a hard time agreeing that a guy who was just an assistant 3 years ago, and hasnt won anything substantial yet, is better than the guy with (2) state championship appearances.

Then add in the fact that historically speaking, Cornersville was one of the worst programs in 1A high school football. Yes, he had gobs of talent on those (2) state championship teams, but it has been proven many times that talent doesn’t get you there. It’s a combination of that and coaching. There have been kids who have come thru the Cornersville progam, who’s talent was on par with Woodard and anyone else you name from those teams. Their talent was overshadowed by ineffective coaching (not talking strictly about past head coaches, the assistants were poor in some cases, too).

so yeah, when you pit Randolph/Stephenson against each other and factor in their respective accomplishments at this point in their careers, nobody in their right mind is going to refer to that as a “draw” lol.

That statement has led me to question the rest of your post in regards to what position groups have the “edge”. If you misjudged the obvious coaching advantage, then I’m sure your other observations are incorrect (respectfully of course).

as bad as Randolph was in cookeville at least he will be able to find the stadium fri. i cannot say the same of our guy

2 minutes ago, GeneralForrest said:

hes a talented player. i saw him in youth and middle school. i think hes more of a luke kuechly type than a natural running back- then again what do i know. he might rush for 200 yds fri although i doubt it.

again Forrest has had good defenses the last season or so they just cannot friggin score. 

Like I said in my last post, this game you never know.  Forrest has had problems in the past, and when I say past, I mean from 20+ years ago, they have always had problems scoring.  They have, for the most part, had pretty decent defenses back then.  

9 hours ago, Yeti said:

Fun thread, I'll have to pay attention to who wins this now with all the back and forth.

Fun is what it should be. Cornersville will be the betting favorite on Friday but we still have a few good players wearing blue that won't give up.  Weather looks good so hopefully we have huge gate. 

Some background for the folks following the thread that aren't from here. The best RB at our school in the last 10-15 years not named McClendon was told to move to guard in 9th grade and he moved to Cornersville instead. The other would be senior running back is a starter and plays both ways for 6A Summit. Best player from the junior class is in a wheelchair from last season's on the field injury. 

Edited by Salem

5 minutes ago, Salem said:

Fun is what it should be. Cornersville will be the betting favorite on Friday but we still have a few good players wearing blue that won't give up.  Weather looks good so hopefully we have huge gate. 

Some background for the folks following the thread that aren't from here. The best RB at our school in the last 10-15 years not named McClendon was told to move to guard in 9th grade and he moved to Cornersville instead. The other would be senior running back is a starter and plays both ways for 6A Summit. Best player from the junior class is in a wheelchair from last season's on the field injury. Just three reasons why the series was renewed for 2021. 

The part about a child being in a wheelchair as a reason the series has been renewed is probably the most ignorant and classless statement I have seen on Coach T.  Classless  fans and supports like you and the General is probably why one is at Summit and the other at Cornersville.

12 minutes ago, Salem said:

Some background for the folks following the thread that aren't from here. The best RB at our school in the last 10-15 years not named McClendon was told to move to guard in 9th grade and he moved to Cornersville instead. The other would be senior running back is a starter and plays both ways for 6A Summit. Best player from the junior class is in a wheelchair from last season's on the field injury. Just three reasons why the series was renewed for 2021. 

Hope it's a good close game. Neither are accurate at this point, but Massey and Sonny both have Forrest winning by about 10. Again it's not accurate this time a year but interesting anyhow. Good luck to both teams.