Battle for Top Seed in Region 1-6A SHHS vs JCHS

Jeffcofinest

Before the season kicked off I heard a few people over in Johnson City saying this was to be the Hill Toppers "Best team ever". I think I remember reading where someone predicted they would lose to Maryville in regular season (check) but would come back to beat the Rebels in the playoffs. On paper It looks like they should be loaded.  I don't know how many "great teams" they've had but they have had some pretty good teams. So that raised some eyebrows. We're 7 games into the season, when is this great team going to show up?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Before the season kicked off I heard a few people over in Johnson City saying this was to be the Hill Toppers "Best team ever". I think I remember reading where someone predicted they would lose to Maryville in regular season (check) but would come back to beat the Rebels in the playoffs. On paper It looks like they should be loaded.  I don't know how many "great teams" they've had but they have had some pretty good teams. So that raised some eyebrows. We're 7 games into the season, when is this great team going to show up?

Not long ago I would have picked the Hill to mop the floor with Jeff Co.     After seeing the game yesterday against Boone I can attest that the Hill has athletes all over the field.    However, I'm not sure what it is exactly but they just cannot seem to bring it all together as a team.    Almost like too many guys playing their own game or something.    They have the athletes to beat Boone 50-0 but really struggled out a measly 3 point win.              I'm taking the Pats in this one.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Not long ago I would have picked the Hill to mop the floor with Jeff Co.     After seeing the game yesterday against Boone I can attest that the Hill has athletes all over the field.    However, I'm not sure what it is exactly but they just cannot seem to bring it all together as a team.    Almost like too many guys playing their own game or something.    They have the athletes to beat Boone 50-0 but really struggled out a measly 3 point win. I'm taking the Patriots in this one.

Just now, noonesfool said:
1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Not long ago I would have picked the Hill to mop the floor with Jeff Co.     After seeing the game yesterday against Boone I can attest that the Hill has athletes all over the field.    However, I'm not sure what it is exactly but they just cannot seem to bring it all together as a team.    Almost like too many guys playing their own game or something.    They have the athletes to beat Boone 50-0 but really struggled out a measly 3 point win. I'm taking the Patriots in this one.

Blaze everything you said makes logical sense. 7 weeks ago I would have picked the Hill for all the right reasons but those reasons are long gone. So I’m picking the Toppers in an upset.

Series history:

(2020) Science Hill 35-12
(2019) Science Hill 42-8
(2018) Science Hill 28-26
(2017) Jefferson Co 31-14
(2016) Science Hill 42-18
(2015) Science Hill 48-17
(2008) Science Hill 12-0
(2007) Jefferson Co 16-14
(2006) Science Hill 17-14
(2005) Science Hill 28-14
(2004) Jefferson Co 42-7
(2003) Jefferson Co 24-13
(2002) Science Hill 24-13
(2001) Science Hill 23-13
(2000) Jefferson Co 42-14
(1999) Jefferson Co 17-12
(1998) Science Hill 24-20
(1997) Jefferson Co 14-10
(1996) Science Hill 35-28
(1995) Science Hill 21-2
(1994) Jefferson Co 16-13
(1993) Science Hill 14-13
(1992) Jefferson Co 21-7
(1982) Jefferson Co 13-3
(1981) Jefferson Co 21-0

SHHS has always had the athletes. We went to a SHHS v Murville game in JC several years ago. We watched the teams in warmups, and I told my wife that if I didn't know anything at all about either of the teams other than what I saw in the warmups, I'd have went with the Toppers to win. As expected, Murville blew it open early and never looked back. Looking for reason(s) why SHHS underachieves for the talent level they have every year, I'd guess that like D-B, they lack highly organized, tightly monitored (by the high school staff) youth leagues that develop kids to have the fundamentals like blocking & tackling, as well as understanding the rules of the game and playing without committing needless penalties.  

41 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

SHHS has always had the athletes. We went to a SHHS v Murville game in JC several years ago. We watched the teams in warmups, and I told my wife that if I didn't know anything at all about either of the teams other than what I saw in the warmups, I'd have went with the Toppers to win. As expected, Murville blew it open early and never looked back. Looking for reason(s) why SHHS underachieves for the talent level they have every year, I'd guess that like D-B, they lack highly organized, tightly monitored (by the high school staff) youth leagues that develop kids to have the fundamentals like blocking & tackling, as well as understanding the rules of the game and playing without committing needless penalties.  

I believe that is a lot of the problem.       Being the 3rd and 4th biggest HS's in the state, DB and SH both have athletes all over the place but neither school seems to be able to put it together when it counts.    Although over the last 15-20 years DB has done way better than SH, but in the end 6A is always going to end @ Murvil.      I wondered what would happen when George Quarles left.... Murvil may have had a small dip but they are pretty much neck and neck with Oakland in 6A every year.