Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

8 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

I turned the TV on right at the start of the 4th quarter and thought it was a heck of a game judging just from that.... but clearly I missed some of the worst parts of the game.  

How many field goals has Powell kicked this season?  Did they decide to let the Monday night unit out on the field for that attempt?  I rarely criticize kids performance on here, and I won't ever single a kid out, but that entire front lie looked awful on that play. From the replay they showed on TV, it looked like 6 different Catholic Players were in position to block the kick.

Powell actually has a decent kicker this season. He hit a 45 or 46 yarder a couple of weeks ago, but given the situation and the field conditions, I would have either punted it or even gone for it. Too much risk involved.

SX, the game was pretty sloppy in the first half, on both sides, but it was a very competitive game.

Other talking points people are making-

That description of Powell's coach is pretty accurate from at least an outsider's perspective.  From watching on TV and seeing a few games live, I rarely see kids on the side line getting their butt's chewed out after unsportsmanlike calls or things of that nature.  I think everyone knows Lowe has kind of always played off the "bad boys" persona at Powell.  I don't mean that as an insult in anyway, the kids love that, and I'll even admit I was a Pistons fan in the late 80s and early 90s.  It's up for debate though if the teams in recent years have let that persona get out of hand. 

And as for it "never" paying off and winning the big one...... never say never.  This year they have more talent than they ever have, and all of the usual hats that are capable of testing them seem to be down this year.  West and Powell seem to obvious favorites for the semi final game, even with both teams showing they are beatable.  Rhea County may be the next team in the conversation, but after that I think we are talking about major upsets for Powell and West to lose before the semifinals.

12 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

Just a total and complete choke job by Powell. I am not trying to take anything away from Knox Catholic, because they were the better coached team by a mile; however, the ending to that game by Matt Lowe was completely and utterly despicable! Attempting a long field goal that was going to be easily blocked and giving KCHS the opportunity to march down and score to take the game over!

And don't get me started on the Powell defense... but do they even have coaches, do they even practice? They looked like a JV team on that last drive. Disheartening doesn't even cover it!

Looked like a typical Matt Lowe coached team, the good times were rolling when the playmakers were touching the ball but he takes undisciplined football to a whole new level. It turned into the Matt Lowe show during the second half! All we missed was his sideline slide! Where was that??? Oh well, another underachieving playoff run on the horizon for Matt and his towel-waving assistants! Weak! @HTV @osunut2

Czar, I think that is a bit harsh. There were a lot of holding calls on Powell which were self-inflicted, but they actually seemed pretty disciplined to me for a change. We're used to the stupid 15-yard flags, and I don't think they had a single one of those last night. I know you don't like Matt, but what was he doing that was so awful?

Powell's defense struggled against another good opponent, and that will probably be their undoing in the playoffs. I don't blame them too much for that last drive, given the fact that Catholic didn't score a single point in the second half until then.

19 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

On that sprint out, Catholic was out of TOs, so that is exactly what he should have done. Maybe he gets the first down and maybe he doesn't. But you at least burn another 40-45 seconds and then you either attempt a shorter FG or you go for it on 4th down.

My mistake. This is another thing that struck me as odd, Powell had the ball on a key possession and it was either a 3rd and short or 2nd and short and they didn't run the ball, they popped it to the wideout. This may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but why not get behind the big uglies up front and let that back get the first down? There were similar situations throughout the game. I know they are a pass heavy team but that back is something else. Tough runner!

1 minute ago, thefox said:

My mistake. This is another thing that struck me as odd, Powell had the ball on a key possession and it was either a 3rd and short or 2nd and short and they didn't run the ball, they popped it to the wideout. This may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but why not get behind the big uglies up front and let that back get the first down? There were similar situations throughout the game. I know they are a pass heavy team but that back is something else. Tough runner!

They've not been a great running team this season, which is probably why they weren't running the ball in those situations. You're probably right though, given the tremendous push Powell's OL was getting up front in the second half. There was a two-point conversion that failed midway through the 4th quarter which exemplified why they don't run it more often. Catholic had 5(!) guys that beat their blocks to the point of attack on a toss sweep to Stockton, and he had no chance. Powell has a very good offensive line, but when defenses anticipate run against Powell, the Panthers really struggle to block those second level guys. There is some great tape from the OR game that illustrates that. I do think that if they could have a little more success in the running game, that would really impact the way these defenses are choosing to handle Potts.

I think Catholic was content to let Stockton run, as long as they didn't give up any chunk plays in the passing game, and they succeeded. That was probably Stockton's best performance of the season, and while he ran really hard, I think some of that success was due to the fact that Catholic was trying to take away those mid-deep passes.

• Like 1

My question is... where do Matt and his group of towel waving coaches go from here? Do they have it in the culture they have established to be able to overcome a little bit of adversity and bounce back? I know this game really meant nothing as far as post season play but this just does not seem like a team that will be able to overcome adversity for the long haul. They say "Powell vs. All Yall" but do they really mean "A Conglomeration of Individuals vs All Yall"? I guess time will only tell.

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Bad decision after bad decision. 

The only way you lose that game was if Catholic blocks a field goal and gets the ball near mid field.  You have to try to punt it out if bounds and pin them deep there. A 45 yard field goal attempt is just going to come off the foot too flat. 

Agreed!  Punt the ball pin them deep.  Catholic had no timeouts left.  Or give the ball to your offense (your best players) and go for it on 4th and 12.  The last think Powell should of done is try and kick a 45 yard FG in tuff conditions.  Powell's kicker is extremely talented and has a bright future!  I don't put that missed FG on him.  In perfect weather conditions that his a tuff kick for a HS kid, let alone in the rain and slick surface.  

Powell's offense is struggling.  I think they are trying to please to many kids instead of just playing football.  I know it's hard to feed all those skill guys, but when your number is called you have to make a play.  Powell has gone away from a lot of things that made them successful.  It seems every game Powell is ALWAYS behind the chains.  Weather it is from a penalty, or from bad play calling.  Seems they are always in 3rd and 15+  very rarely are we ahead of the chains.  Powell is also very predictable on what they do on offense.  They see run working, and that is all they try to do.  They see the pass game is clicking and that is all they do.  They have to be more balanced for sure, and don't wait to take shots when it is obvious.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, keepitmoving said:

Agreed!  Punt the ball pin them deep.  Catholic had no timeouts left.  Or give the ball to your offense (your best players) and go for it on 4th and 12.  The last think Powell should of done is try and kick a 45 yard FG in tuff conditions.  Powell's kicker is extremely talented and has a bright future!  I don't put that missed FG on him.  In perfect weather conditions that his a tuff kick for a HS kid, let alone in the rain and slick surface.  

Powell's offense is struggling.  I think they are trying to please to many kids instead of just playing football.  I know it's hard to feed all those skill guys, but when your number is called you have to make a play.  Powell has gone away from a lot of things that made them successful.  It seems every game Powell is ALWAYS behind the chains.  Weather it is from a penalty, or from bad play calling.  Seems they are always in 3rd and 15+  very rarely are we ahead of the chains.  Powell is also very predictable on what they do on offense.  They see run working, and that is all they try to do.  They see the pass game is clicking and that is all they do.  They have to be more balanced for sure, and don't wait to take shots when it is obvious.  

Important to note that their offensive line has been doing a fantastic job of protecting their QB but the QB is just trying to do too much. He needs to spit the ball out faster and those guys need to get open. I think it was obvious last night that the Catholic Freshmen was the better QB on the field and has an extremely bright future. Powell.... lots to clean up or the only cleaning up they will be doing is in the locker room when Matt and his towel waving assistants are taking up equipment!!!

My critique of the field goal team was in no way putting blame on the kicker.  I was referencing the entire field goal team.  Rain or shine, the kicker never had a chance, he had 5 guys 3 feet in front of him.  On TV they paused the play on the replay to see who got credit for the block - because there were several players that were right there.  The snapper, holder, kicker combo could have maybe overcame the wet conditions.... but the other 8 guys on the field didn't give them a chance to. 

And if the kicker did hit a 46 yarder last week, than I really don't think its as bad of a call as you guys are making it out to be.  If you hit it you put the game out of reach for Catholic, if you miss it (and your kicker has the leg power) it goes out of the end zone and they take over on their 20 - which would most likely be the same result of a punt. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but if you have  good kicker in high school that was probably the coach's logic in making the call. 

1 minute ago, FilmCzar said:

Important to note that their offensive line has been doing a fantastic job of protecting their QB but the QB is just trying to do too much. He needs to spit the ball out faster and those guys need to get open. I think it was obvious last night that the Catholic Freshmen was the better QB on the field and has an extremely bright future. Powell.... lots to clean up or the only cleaning up they will be doing is in the locker room when Matt and his towel waving assistants are taking up equipment!!!

I mentioned this before but since Clinton's defense executed the blueprint for slowing down this offense, Powell has struggled to find a solution. There's no question that Potts wants to throw the ball down the field repeatedly, but you have to take what the defense gives you. Which is exactly what they did in the second half against Catholic. It also allowed Stockton to rush for over 100 yards last night.

I think Potts is doing just fine, as long as he continues to be patient. In many cases last night, his first read was a deep route, and he did a pretty good job of coming off of that first guy because there simply was nothing there. Again, credit Catholic (and others) for taking those deep passes away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sx1234 said:

And if the kicker did hit a 46 yarder last week, than I really don't think its as bad of a call as you guys are making it out to be.  If you hit it you put the game out of reach for Catholic, if you miss it (and your kicker has the leg power) it goes out of the end zone and they take over on their 20 - which would most likely be the same result of a punt. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but if you have  good kicker in high school that was probably the coach's logic in making the call. 

Agreed. There just was no easy answer. You have a freshman kicker who has been successful from that distance, and a FG there puts the game away completely. And like you said, if you miss, it's no worse than a punt that sails into the end zone for a touchback.

Just now, osunut2 said:

Agreed. There just was no easy answer. You have a freshman kicker who has been successful from that distance, and a FG there puts the game away completely. And like you said, if you miss, it's no worse than a punt that sails into the end zone for a touchback.

It looks like they don't even practice special teams at Pal.