Catholic @ Powell - Rivalry Thursday

osunut2

4 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I'm with HTV on this. That team has a shot either way, as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties.

Yep! Totally agree…..I’m just not sure if there is anybody on this side of the state that can compete with them when they are rolling. I can see Central giving it a shot tho. They have gotten better as the season has rolled on. West/Powell is a nice little rivalry of late but I just think the roster of West is to depleted to make a run at 5A this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KnoxVil said:

Yep! Totally agree…..I’m just not sure if there is anybody on this side of the state that can compete with them when they are rolling. I can see Central giving it a shot tho. They have gotten better as the season has rolled on. West/Powell is a nice little rivalry of late but I just think the roster of West is to depleted to make a run at 5A this year. 

You may be right but I’m gonna assume that the team that went toe to toe with Alcoa probably has a pretty good shot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DirkdIggler1 said:

You may be right but I’m gonna assume that the team that went toe to toe with Alcoa probably has a pretty good shot. 

They sure do. I'm hoping for a Powell-West semifinal. I'm not sure that Powell has the defense to make a deep run (West certainly does), but the Panthers are definitely better than they were defensively those first few weeks of the season.

14 hours ago, HTV said:

Win or lose tomorrow night they have a legit shot. 

From what I have seen throughout this season, I do not see them having the defense to make a run at Chattanooga. I could be wrong but they have been far from impressive. Additionally, their offense tends to struggle against well coached defenses because of their elementary passing game, IMO.

5 minutes ago, FilmCzar said:

From what I have seen throughout this season, I do not see them having the defense to make a run at Chattanooga. I could be wrong but they have been far from impressive. Additionally, their offense tends to struggle against well coached defenses because of their elementary passing game, IMO.

I'm not sure I would call the passing game elementary. I think it has more to do with Potts itching to hit the deep shot, rather than to just take what the defense gives you consistently. The Clinton game and especially the Halls game were great examples of that. There were WRs open in that short range throughout the night, but he kept looking to throw deep; and if it wasn't there, he would scramble or take off/run, which worked against Clinton, but Halls spied him incredibly well.

Against OR and CC, he did a much better job of showing patience in the passing game. It may not be as flashy, but they were consistently hitting those shorter passes against OR and CC, which eventually opened things up in the second half.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, osunut2 said:

They sure do. I'm hoping for a Powell-West semifinal. I'm not sure that Powell has the defense to make a deep run (West certainly does), but the Panthers are definitely better than they were defensively those first few weeks of the season.

That’s probably the most likely matchup but for some reason I feel like there might be a wild card thrown in that weeks game. Like a mcminn type team. Crazier stuff has happened. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:32 PM, HTV said:

Never claimed to be.  Just been around a long time and have pretty much seen it all over the years. I can recognize a fraud when I see it.  If you don't want my opinions, don't read my posts. It really is that simple. 

And by the way, you have a problem with coaches allegedly calling students, but it's ok in your mind to shop one's kids to coaches all over the area?  

That's being a hypocrite. 

And again I repeat, I have no ties to Powell any longer.   Still have a few friends that support that program and it's the community where I live and where my son played.  But that was a different Powell High School from what it is today. 

And AGAIN I repeat, BULLBUTTER!