Region 4A Championship Clay County (9-0) @ Gordonsville (8-1)

OldTownRoad

Hats off to the Tigers. Clay County had too many mistakes in this one, and it takes a nearly flawless game to win at Gordonsville. Now, on to the postseason and Sale Creek. Would love to see a rematch with Gordonsville, but have to win next week first, then go beat the gold standard in East side of Class A on their field for that to happen.

For the most part, this game went about like I expected.

Last year, when we won 20-0, the game was closer than the score. This year, the game wasn't as close as the score.

Gordonsville moved it all night, I feel that at minimum, we left 3 scores on the field being inside the 10 those times. I feel it was more on account of our mistakes rather than Clay making plays. 

Granted Clay made mistakes as well, but if I counted right, they only had 6 first downs all night, and one was on a roughing the kicker on a 4th and 12. They were still held to close to 200 yards, and 135 of that was on 2 plays, one being a long pass at the end for a td where the defender fell. It happens...

Clay will be a different and better team as Arms gets his legs under him more, and I feel they'll give SP a pretty good game. I feel we did a good job of keeping the ball from getting into Kerr's hands, and we were missing a 4 year starter at WR/DB. We'll be glad to get him back.

I hope to see them again in the 3rd round. That means we're playing at home, and I always enjoy seeing my Clay County peeps.

Again, I feel the game should've been around 28-7, however, Clay's grit affected that more than I like.

Just now, croz6110 said:

How would you like it? Baked or Fried?

BTW, great win to you guys, congratulations. I hope you get over the playoff hump.

I’ll take mine raw. lol 

As for our bunch… we’re clicking at the right time. Night and day difference from the beginning of the season!

9 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

For the most part, this game went about like I expected.

Last year, when we won 20-0, the game was closer than the score. This year, the game wasn't as close as the score.

Gordonsville moved it all night, I feel that at minimum, we left 3 scores on the field being inside the 10 those times. I feel it was more on account of our mistakes rather than Clay making plays. 

Granted Clay made mistakes as well, but if I counted right, they only had 6 first downs all night, and one was on a roughing the kicker on a 4th and 12. They were still held to close to 200 yards, and 135 of that was on 2 plays, one being a long pass at the end for a td where the defender fell. It happens...

Clay will be a different and better team as Arms gets his legs under him more, and I feel they'll give SP a pretty good game. I feel we did a good job of keeping the ball from getting into Kerr's hands, and we were missing a 4 year starter at WR/DB. We'll be glad to get him back.

I hope to see them again in the 3rd round. That means we're playing at home, and I always enjoy seeing my Clay County peeps.

Again, I feel the game should've been around 28-7, however, Clay's grit affected that more than I like.

I disagree with you about the regular season game last year. I would consider the score to be closer than what the game really was. Clay was never in that one. Gordonsville was in complete control in that one. I think Clay did a much better job of fighting back in this one when they got down tonight than last year though. Gordonsville is a very difficult team to play against when they have a lead. I would love to watch a rematch in round 3 (although it is insane that Clay would go to Gordonsville four times in a row). Having Arms back at this point in the season has been described as creating a good problem to have, but not being sure how to split Adams/Arms at QB still highlighted tonight why it is a problem in the first place.

7 minutes ago, OldTownRoad said:

I disagree with you about the regular season game last year. I would consider the score to be closer than what the game really was. Clay was never in that one. Gordonsville was in complete control in that one. I think Clay did a much better job of fighting back in this one when they got down tonight than last year though. Gordonsville is a very difficult team to play against when they have a lead. I would love to watch a rematch in round 3 (although it is insane that Clay would go to Gordonsville four times in a row). Having Arms back at this point in the season has been described as creating a good problem to have, but not being sure how to split Adams/Arms at QB still highlighted tonight why it is a problem in the first place.

I'll have to go back and look, but in the game last we didn't move the ball well, and a couple of scores came when we got the ball inside the 10. Either way, it's moot now.

As far as the QB situation, Adams has done an admirable job, and the coaches have done a good job of putting him in good situations. But, Arms playing QB is what's best for the team. He has a stronger arm, is more of a threat to run, and is a load to bring down. He should be the starter going forward. 

Again, Adams has done well, but he's still a freshman and he's not Arms. But he has the potential to be better than Arms as a QB in my opinion. He's just not there right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boarhog said:

Congrats to Gordy.  The Tigers were better than I thought.  3 and 14 played great, and the O-line too.  We had trouble getting to 3.  I love our guys.  Congrats to them too on 9-1.  On to the next!

Those boys played hard.

I don't want to look too far to next year, but both these teams will be two of the best in the state in 1A next year, as both are light on seniors. 

• Upvote 1