Bearden open

HTV

18 minutes ago, HTV said:

That how things used to work, but not any longer. 

Knox County Schools have taken the reins of booster club bank accounts, and what coaches can be "supplemented" through the booster clubs is very limited, now. 

New and different day. 

What about the handshake/McDonald's bag method of supplementing?  I would imagine that some of that goes on. 

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

What about the handshake/McDonald's bag method of supplementing?  I would imagine that some of that goes on. 

Yeah, but like a coach once told me, "under the table money spends in the short term, but it doesn't do you much good when you go apply for a mortgage or car loan and have to show provable income to qualify."

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yeah, but like a coach once told me, "under the table money spends in the short term, but it doesn't do you much good when you go apply for a mortgage or car loan and have to show provable income to qualify."

True.  But if you already have a car and mortgage it may be difficult for some to say "thanks but no thanks" to a pile of $.   In all seriousness, I have heard of some pretty creative ways besides actual $ to sweeten the pot for a HC.   

Edited by oridgecat

20 hours ago, FHSAlum12 said:

I would be surprised if this is the case. Bearden already looks bad for knowing that the coach was going to resign and not having a plan of action together on making a hire. HVA has completely dusted them, thus far.

FHS, not on here to argue with you, just want to ask this. What plan would you put into place? You want to get the best coach possible, therefore you would most likely want to wait until the end of the playoffs in order to give these coaches that are applying the opportunity to concentrate on their teams. And if you are receiving apps from out of state coaches, the same would apply. If they had immediately named an assistant to the position without a search, what would the explosion have looked like on here. And it could also be that they know of possible teaching openings coming after the first of the year. Don't necessarily have to post them until their needed, if you get my drift. But like I said earlier, interviews will start this weekend and run for a while. Football team won't officially go back to work until after Christmas anyway.

2 hours ago, dawgs82 said:

Bingo!

The PE position is a "supply" position meaning the full time teacher is taking a leave of absence for a period of time but will be back in that position when they return. AKA temporary and not able to be used for a football coach.

FHS, not on here to argue with you, just want to ask this. What plan would you put into place? You want to get the best coach possible, therefore you would most likely want to wait until the end of the playoffs in order to give these coaches that are applying the opportunity to concentrate on their teams. And if you are receiving apps from out of state coaches, the same would apply. If they had immediately named an assistant to the position without a search, what would the explosion have looked like on here. And it could also be that they know of possible teaching openings coming after the first of the year. Don't necessarily have to post them until their needed, if you get my drift. But like I said earlier, interviews will start this weekend and run for a while. Football team won't officially go back to work until after Christmas anyway.

I assumed that BHS would choose to go this route and look like they are making an "informed decision." When in reality, they have slow played this because it is not a priority. Now that HVA has done a smooth and effective search, BHS is scrambling to figure out how to hire a coach without a teaching position. 

5 minutes ago, LittleJerrySeinfeld said:

HTV already answered pretty much.  In addition, the current admin at Bearden do not care about athletics nor know what they are doing

This is what happens when AD's are not paid positions and the duties are put on an assistant principal (aka a glorified classroom teacher)

• Like 2

If memory serves me correctly we always started back a couple Mondays after our last loss. Most of the team was usually back in the weight room in December. This was a while back but just the way I remember it from my playing days. Those football kids don't want to sit around while they know their competition is back in the weight room.