Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

Got a Sept 23 dilemma:

Greeneville @ DB       or      Maryville @ Science Hill

The result of Maryville/SH is already known, but it's always fun just to watch a team of that caliber, plus as a Boone fan we hate SH.     I think Greeneville beats DB yet again, but you never know, all the talk around the water cooler seems to be saying that the Devils are not as good this year.      So, which game should I go see?    What think ye??

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Got a Sept 23 dilemma:

The result of Maryville/SH is already known, but it's always fun just to watch a team of that caliber, plus as a Boone fan we hate SH.     I think Greeneville beats DB yet again, but you never know, all the talk around the water cooler seems to be saying that the Devils are not as good this year.      So, which game should I go see?    What think ye??

Probably be plenty more seats in Johnson City.  Home crowd only comes when the Indians come to town.

13 hours ago, Swipes said:

Thats a pretty bold statement knowing that Jeff County returns 6 on O and 7 on D.  That includes the QB starting RB and three starting OL.  Their head coach Riley said this is the most talent he has had while coaching at JC.  

I'm wondering why you believe there will be at least 7 TD swing from last years game when JC is going to be better than last year?

That QB absolutely wore DB out last year pretty much on his own. DB will have to put at least 40 on the board to beat JC. Because I can guarantee you, they won't even come close to slowing down their passing game. 

12 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Got a Sept 23 dilemma:

The better game will be DB vs Greeneville. That game could go either way and should be very competitive and good indicator of both teams potential playoff caliber. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, blazer1set said:

How do you feel about the Greeneville game?    My guess is that if you are ever going to beat Greeneville you better do it this year.

From someone who has been around both programs at some point for several decades.How times have changed since I was a kid.Yeah,I know they have cars instead of horses but this would have never been posted back in the 1900's for sure. DB really should hardly ever lose to a  smaller NET team.Every now and then you have a team like TH in the early seventies or programs like Greeneville and Elizabethton have built over the last couple of decades but DB has the resources just the same as those schools and many more students to boot. I know DB has some fine coaches as well. It wouldn't shock me to see DB not lose to a local school over  the next ten years .Even if Greeneville has the better strength program, DB should have more quality depth to counter that. We will see.

2 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

From someone who has been around both programs at some point for several decades.How times have changed since I was a kid.Yeah,I know they have cars instead of horses but this would have never been posted back in the 1900's for sure. DB really should hardly ever lose to a  smaller NET team.Every now and then you have a team like TH in the early seventies or programs like Greeneville and Elizabethton have built over the last couple of decades but DB has the resources just the same as those schools and many more students to boot. I know DB has some fine coaches as well. It wouldn't shock me to see DB not lose to a local school over  the next ten years .Even if Greeneville has the better strength program, DB should have more quality depth to counter that. We will see.

I still don't think the size of the school has anything to do with it. To many examples that go against that. A good coaching staff that knows theres more to building a program than the practice field and being out there on Friday night. You have to get out in the community and get kids involved, You have to be involved in the feeder schools. The schools that do this, "no matter what the size" have a big advantage over the schools that wait until the kids get to the 9th or 10th grade. Thats whats killing DB. Alcoa, Greeneville, Elizabethton, all smaller schools do this. DB can't compete with them. It shows on game night when the norm is close to or over 100 yards in penalties. And I think the refs are usually pretty kind to be honest. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I still don't think the size of the school has anything to do with it. To many examples that go against that. A good coaching staff that knows theres more to building a program than the practice field and being out there on Friday night. You have to get out in the community and get kids involved, You have to be involved in the feeder schools. The schools that do this, "no matter what the size" have a big advantage over the schools that wait until the kids get to the 9th or 10th grade. Thats whats killing DB. Alcoa, Greeneville, Elizabethton, all smaller schools do this. DB can't compete with them. It shows on game night when the norm is close to or over 100 yards in penalties. And I think the refs are usually pretty kind to be honest. 

I see your point and understand whatever those three schools are doing  separates them from most everyone else in this part of the state .Still ,I can't imagine Alcoa having 1500 students and those extra  800 or 900 being as talented as what they are now at their size. They would probably go whip the big Orange to get ready for the season. As for Greeneville , I'll try not to  beat the dead horse from a few years ago, "but" if Sevier and Robinson can both compete and beat Greeneville middle,how can both together not beat Greeneville four years later at DB. Anyway,this is a new year and we will see what the Tribe has for my old Devils.

Edited by BatmanDevil
missed a word

16 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

I see your point and understand whatever those three schools are doing  separates them from most everyone else in this part of the state .Still ,I can't imagine Alcoa having 1500 students and those extra  800 or 900 being as talented as what they are now at their size. They would probably go whip the big Orange to get ready for the season. As for Greeneville , I'll try not to  beat the dead horse from a few years ago, "but" if Sevier and Robinson can both compete and beat Greeneville middle,how can both together not beat Greeneville four years later at DB. Anyway,this is a new year and we will see what the Tribe has for my old Devils.

I don't remember Sevier and Robinson beating Greeneville recently. If I remember correctly Sevier and Robinson only won one game last year and that was against each other. "If I remember correctly"

8 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You nailed it.    Shouldn't be that way, bigger schools with more resources, more DNA, more everything should never lose consistently to schools < half their size.        Unfortunately Boone is right there with you on penalties, the only good thing is that we do improve a little as the season progresses.     Our penalties are always backbreakers though, like we have someone on a 4th and 2, they line up to go for it, and you can hear the Boone crowd screaming in unison "DON'T JUMP OFFSIDES!!!!!!!".... I don't have to tell you what happens every time.