Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

On 6/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, DBKPT93 said:

Been quiet around here. Any update from anyone close to the program as summer has been going? 

If there was any outstanding news you can bet, it would be posted here. I think we are looking at another average DB football season. Looking all the way back into the Middle Schools I don't see any outstanding talent coming up either. But hay we can brag about our new lighting at the stadium. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

5 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

If there was any outstanding news you can be it would be posted here. I think we are looking at another average DB football season. Looking all the way back into the Middle Schools I don't see any outstanding talent coming up either. But hay we can brag about out new lighting at the stadium. 

You guys got new stadium lights?    Is that a replacement of the old lights or are these in addition?

9 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Believe it or not we just got a new turf field.   They are still doing the finishing touches but they did a great job.     I guess that's going to lead to our first ever 10-0 season, right?

Nah just means other teams will be more comfortable beating you all haha jk man. 

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly thinking about this year, if our OL can get back to the standard of play that we are used to, and if our secondary can just keep people in front of them and be competitive. I think this team can be really good. I expect our QBs have both gotten better, receivers are in good shape, and our front 7 on D will be stout as usual. 

But if the OL and DBs cant do it, this year could be worse than last.

7 minutes ago, DBKPT93 said:

Honestly thinking about this year, if our OL can get back to the standard of play that we are used to, and if our secondary can just keep people in front of them and be competitive. I think this team can be really good. I expect our QBs have both gotten better, receivers are in good shape, and our front 7 on D will be stout as usual. 

Worse than last year?!?!     You guys had a really good team in 2021.    With the exception of Jeff Co you only lost the games you were expected to lose.    It was a 7-3 regular season in 2021, what are you thinking..... maybe 6-4 this year?     I could see 8-2 being very realistic with the only losses to Greeneville and the Hill.

23 hours ago, DBKPT93 said:

I can guarantee you the secondary will get torched. DB hasn't had even a average secondary in 20+ years.

19 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I can guarantee you the secondary will get torched. DB hasn't had even a average secondary in 20+ years.

You are right, the good news is that DB's offense is usually good enough to overcome and win a lot of games.

The first 5 games are no-contest slam dunks for the Indians with the possible exception of West Ridge.   If DB wins any of these 1st 5 by less than 3 TD's I will be surprised.     Perhaps that can be used to build enough confidence to find a way to win a few in the 2nd half of the season.      Maybe even experiment with some different types of defensive back coverages (man-2-man, zone, etc.) and have the coaches evaluate every play as if it was a pass play.... look for where a defensive back got beat, was out of position, etc. and try and correct it right there instead of waiting until the next week to look at game film.        I dunno, I'm sure you guys have good athletes, just a matter of getting them playing the positions correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:54 PM, blazer1set said:

You guys got new stadium lights?    Is that a replacement of the old lights or are these in addition?

I am pretty sure the Stadium Lights have no change...and yes, there has been a new computerized Lighting System installed, supposed to flash all kinds of colors all over, to music.. a large $$ donation covered that entirely.

DB Football will be much improved from last season...much improved. Should be considered a solid 3rd round playoff contender. 

All the improvements sound outstanding. DB needs to get back to being DB.   That stadium needs to be filled like it used to, and it sounds like it is on its way.   I talked to one of the Anderson County coaches the other day, and he says the Mavericks will return the scrimmage from last fall camp to DB in a few weeks.  That scrimmage was a good one for the Mavericks as it got them ready for a physical Powell team which they play week 1.   I will make that trip to see all the improvements and hopeful to see a big crowd for the scrimmage.   The Mavs have had a very good run, and hope to be a deep playoff contender this season.