Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

On 7/5/2022 at 4:38 PM, olhickory said:

All the improvements sound outstanding. DB needs to get back to being DB.   That stadium needs to be filled like it used to, and it sounds like it is on its way.   I talked to one of the Anderson County coaches the other day, and he says the Mavericks will return the scrimmage from last fall camp to DB in a few weeks.  That scrimmage was a good one for the Mavericks as it got them ready for a physical Powell team which they play week 1.   I will make that trip to see all the improvements and hopeful to see a big crowd for the scrimmage.   The Mavs have had a very good run, and hope to be a deep playoff contender this season.   

DB still packs the stadium for big games, like against Alcoa.   But yeah, for the most part a lot of people are there to see the band.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:09 PM, blazer1set said:

DB still packs the stadium for big games, like against Alcoa.   But yeah, for the most part a lot of people are there to see the band.

At any given home game there is 1500 to 2000 "fans" that don't give a flip about the actual game. Band parents/grandparents, blue hairs, and middle school kids just hanging out. 

• Thanks 1

After watching the 7v7s, the secondary looks worse than before and regressed over the 7v7s.  They looked decent vs Powell but Unicoi torched them twice last week.  Maybe they can get it together over the next month and 3 scrimmages.  Offense looks like it will be explosive -- and it better be based on what I've seen so far.

32 minutes ago, gritsngravy said:

After watching the 7v7s, the secondary looks worse than before and regressed over the 7v7s.  They looked decent vs Powell but Unicoi torched them twice last week.  Maybe they can get it together over the next month and 3 scrimmages.  Offense looks like it will be explosive -- and it better be based on what I've seen so far.

Hold on a sec.... are you saying that DB's defense got smoked by Unicoi County?    No disrespect for UC at all but they are a 2A school with 760 students.   Had a good season last year but it's not like they are Alcoa....

52 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Hold on a sec.... are you saying that DB's defense got smoked by Unicoi County?    No disrespect for UC at all but they are a 2A school with 760 students.   Had a good season last year but it's not like they are Alcoa....

They are 3a but i get your point

1 hour ago, gritsngravy said:

yes -- Unicoi also lit up Elizabethton both days.  They looked really good.  Real football practice started today so we'll see what happens.  

I wouldn't put one cent on what a 7v7 against Unicoi means and I wouldn't put two cents on any scrimmage.What counts is how a team grows from the start of a season until playoff time comes. I've seen DB hold it's own in scrimmages against Maryville but that means nothing in november.I  still remember whipping DB in a scrimmage all over the practice field when I was in high school.Yep, DB lost about two or three games that season and we only won two. Practice is a practice but I would like to see Unicoi and Betsy go at it in pads.

7 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

I wouldn't put one cent on what a 7v7 against Unicoi means and I wouldn't put two cents on any scrimmage.What counts is how a team grows from the start of a season until playoff time comes. I've seen DB hold it's own in scrimmages against Maryville but that means nothing in november.I  still remember whipping DB in a scrimmage all over the practice field when I was in high school.Yep, DB lost about two or three games that season and we only won two. Practice is a practice but I would like to see Unicoi and Betsy go at it in pads.

It would be ugly!!

Never know,Unicoi may have a team like they did in the very early days and beat my Greene Devils 120-0 . But,I'd agree and say that's not a matchup they would want .Back to the Indians. Not knowing but just guessing,I'd say it's about time that the Tribe was loaded with talent and I'm not talking in the band because they are always at the top.