Official Dobyns-Bennett 2022 Offseason Thread

DBKPT93

I'm here.  Guess us D-B fans are more focused on hoops at the moment.  If the schedule is the same this year as last season, which it should be, then it's probably going to go much like last season.

Tennessee High has a new coach, that is coming down from coaching college ball, could be interesting, but it's at JFJ and it will be his first game as coach, so that's probably a win.

Volunteer should be a win

Crockett should be a win

Greeneville.... don't even want to go there... at least the game is in Kingsport this time

Oak Ridge.... hard to say.  Seems like one year they're really good, the next they're really bad.  Last season was bad, so this one they probably will be good.  At least the game is in Kingsport, though I will miss Big Ed's this season.

Morristown East... who knows?  Last season after the game in Morristown, I had a bunch of East fans ask me in IHOP if I was interested in becoming their new coach.  Seems like they're in a state of disarray, so if that's still the case, I will predict a win there.

West Ridge... It's on the Ridge this time, and with a year under their belts, who knows... plus it's a rivalry game and they're going to treat it like it's their Super Bowl.

William Blount... At least I don't have to make that drive this year.  They have a new coach that the fan base seems to be excited about.  Will the players be just as excited and give their all for him?

Jefferson County... I think this game goes differently in 2022.  D-B underestimated Jeff County last season.  Got down big and fought back but the 21 point head start for the Patriots was too much to overcome.

Science Hill.... They have our number for the time being... until we can prove differently that we can beat them, they probably win again.

I'll go with a final record of 7-3 overall and 4-1 in conference, finishing 2nd.

Oak Ridge has a changing of the guard going on, Joe Gaddis has retired, but he left a really good group of players that are coming back. A lot of the losses last season were one score losses except for Powell and Greeneville, which had loaded teams. The new Coach, Scott Cummings, who came over from Halls, but is better known for his success at Knox West, winning a State Championship in 2015 and making West a relevant program. Should be a pretty good game up at J, Fred next season, looking forward to it, 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:44 AM, TribalEmpire said:

I'm here.  Guess us D-B fans are more focused on hoops at the moment.  If the schedule is the same this year as last season, which it should be, then it's probably going to go much like last season.

Tennessee High has a new coach, that is coming down from coaching college ball, could be interesting, but it's at JFJ and it will be his first game as coach, so that's probably a win.

Volunteer should be a win

Crockett should be a win

Greeneville.... don't even want to go there... at least the game is in Kingsport this time

Oak Ridge.... hard to say.  Seems like one year they're really good, the next they're really bad.  Last season was bad, so this one they probably will be good.  At least the game is in Kingsport, though I will miss Big Ed's this season.

Morristown East... who knows?  Last season after the game in Morristown, I had a bunch of East fans ask me in IHOP if I was interested in becoming their new coach.  Seems like they're in a state of disarray, so if that's still the case, I will predict a win there.

West Ridge... It's on the Ridge this time, and with a year under their belts, who knows... plus it's a rivalry game and they're going to treat it like it's their Super Bowl.

William Blount... At least I don't have to make that drive this year.  They have a new coach that the fan base seems to be excited about.  Will the players be just as excited and give their all for him?

Jefferson County... I think this game goes differently in 2022.  D-B underestimated Jeff County last season.  Got down big and fought back but the 21 point head start for the Patriots was too much to overcome.

Science Hill.... They have our number for the time being... until we can prove differently that we can beat them, they probably win again.

I'll go with a final record of 7-3 overall and 4-1 in conference, finishing 2nd.

This is a pretty good breakdown.    Since DB has so many seniors returning (if I remember correctly), I think your only losses will be Greeneville and Science Hill.   Of course as we all know, these are teenage boys and they have to all show up with their heads screwed on right, but sometimes that doesn't happen and we all know the result.

• Like 1

IMO - 9-1 regular season...at worst and unbeaten in Region play...I would take a bet on being 5-0 in Region play.

SH has lost a lot...and they do not have a QB...unless they score one in the transfer portal 

DB will be good, not as good as with Zane Whitson but a good team. MUCH BETTER than last seasons team.

But go see the Basketball team right now, because that is the team to watch! 

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Greeneville was loaded with seniors last season, so they are going to be a little green too. I think they started 20 seniors.

They did have a large Senior Class last year with 20 Seniors but only 9 of them started.

Greeneville Loses starters in Gudger, Stevenson, Gillespie, Tillery, Hite, Wirt, Grove, Pillar, and Claridy.

Greeneville Returns Starters in Quillen, Peterson, Dickson, Dabbs, Laws, Myers, Chrisman, Williams, and Lester

Greeneville will still be fast and athletic but not as fast as last years team.  You are going to have to Pass on them since they return 5 out of their 6 in the box guys only losing Grove at DE 

I think DB ended the season last year with the record most had predicted. But I think they played better for the most part than most thought they would.  Take away that loss to Jefferson Co. that is. I'll put that one on the staff for not having them ready and in the right frame of mind. And they did keep it close for a half at Maryville.  As for next season It's going to depend on how hard they work in the off season, weight room etc. I think they need to ditch the 2 quarterback  system  considering that has never worked well at any time during the history of mankind. Decide on a QB and go with it. By the way I think I remember someone saying the upcoming soph. QB would pass them both up and become the starter? Interesting. I'm going to go out on a limb and say DB will beat Science Hill this year and play Greeneville a close game. 9-1 regular season. But we're all guessing right?

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

I think DB ended the season last year with the record most had predicted. But I think they played better for the most part than most thought they would.  Take away that loss to Jefferson Co. that is. I'll put that one on the staff for not having them ready and in the right frame of mind. And they did keep it close for a half at Maryville.  As for next season It's going to depend on how hard they work in the off season, weight room etc. I think they need to ditch the 2 quarterback  system  considering that has never worked well at any time during the history of mankind. Decide on a QB and go with it. By the way I think I remember someone saying the upcoming soph. QB would pass them both up and become the starter? Interesting. I'm going to go out on a limb and say DB will beat Science Hill this year and play Greeneville a close game. 9-1 regular season. But we're all guessing right?

In 2009 Boone used a 2QB system very effectively to finish 10-3 and make the rare Tri-cities sweep (beating Science Hill, DB and Tenn High in the same season),  But that's an anomaly and not the norm, so you have a good point.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

In 2009 Boone used a 2QB system very effectively to finish 10-3 and make the rare Tri-cities sweep (beating Science Hill, DB and Tenn High in the same season),  But that's an anomaly and not the norm, so you have a good point.

I might not be remembering this right but wasn't one of those QB's built like a fullback and ran the ball 90% of the time? Maybe I'm just remembering their runningback. Seems like they had a guy that it took half of DB's defense to bring down. 

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I might not be remembering this right but wasn't one of those QB's built like a fullback and ran the ball 90% of the time? Maybe I'm just remembering their runningback. Seems like they had a guy that it took half of DB's defense to bring down. 

That's right, and the other QB was more of a finesse passer.   Between the 2 of them they moved the offense pretty well.  They seemed to both be okay with the other one playing QB but they both played other positions too as needed.   It was a very unorthodox offense but it happened to work out that season.

2022:

Aug. 19     Tennessee High
Aug. 26     @ Volunteer
Sep. 2     Morristown East
Sep. 9     @ David Crockett
Sep. 16     @ West Ridge
Sep. 23     Greeneville
Sep. 30     @ Jefferson County
Oct. 14     William Blount
Oct. 21     Oak Ridge
Oct. 28     @ Science Hill

Tennessee High thru West Ridge are relatively easy wins, I would be surprised if any of those teams is closer than 20 points.      DB will be 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 in 6A.      But then comes Greeneville....     Oak Ridge and Science Hill will be iffy, so 8-2 is not unreasonable.