Quarterfinal (Round 3) Covington @ Dyersburg

CHARGERFAN

35 minutes ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Very true! The Chargers would always take one on the chin to SG or Milan. Two teams that are  traditionally pretty good. I hope this year we can come out on top of Dyersburg. Should be a good one! 

Go Chargers! 

That’s funny because it’s the polar opposite of Dyersburg. Dburg has a history of winning the big regular season games then checking out in the playoffs in these games. I hope this year proves to be different.

2 hours ago, fanoffootball2013 said:

Has Stowe ever made it out of the quarter finals in Haywood or Dyersburg? 

Coach Stowe was the head football coach at Haywood from 2001-2008.  While at Haywood he led the Tomcats to 55 wins and 40 losses.  Coach Stowe's playoff record at Haywood was 7 wins and 8 losses.  He guided HHS to the quarterfinals once (2007) losing to Memphis Mitchell 14-16.  He never made it to the semifinals.

59 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I would like to see Coach JR Kirby’s playoff record. I’m away from the house or I would research it.

J.R.'s playoff record at Covington is 5-2.  When he was head coach at Munford, his playoff record was 0-2. 

Melrose    W 48-6
South Gibson     W 14-10
Wooddale    W 27-0
Pearl-Cohn    L 20-21

Covid forfeit to Milan (The AHSFHS site counts this as a loss.  I'm not sure if the TSSAA conisders it a loss or a no contest.  I would presume they would count it as a no contest which would make Coach Kirby's playoff record at Covington 5-1.)

Raleigh-Egypt    W 54-6
Ripley   W 35-0

Edited by stacmot

4 hours ago, stacmot said:

J.R.'s playoff record at Covington is 5-2.  When he was head coach at Munford, his playoff record was 0-2. 

Melrose    W 48-6
South Gibson     W 14-10
Wooddale    W 27-0
Pearl-Cohn    L 20-21

Covid forfeit to Milan (The AHSFHS site counts this as a loss.  I'm not sure if the TSSAA conisders it a loss or a no contest.  I would presume they would count it as a no contest which would make Coach Kirby's playoff record at Covington 5-1.)

Raleigh-Egypt    W 54-6
Ripley   W 35-0

4 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I would like to see Coach JR Kirby’s playoff record. I’m away from the house or I would research it.

Good info @stacmot ! Kirby has been to the the State Championship three time as a assistant. (OC) I want to say Matthew Shearan was on one of the state runner up teams that Kirby was on too. He is now on the Dyersburg staff.

5 hours ago, stacmot said:

Melrose    W 48-6
South Gibson     W 14-10
Wooddale    W 27-0
Pearl-Cohn    L 20-21

Raleigh-Egypt    W 54-6
Ripley   W 35-0

Thanks, Stacmot. I knew that you might be the source for this info. Pretty good start for him.

I went over to the high school football database to compare the playoff results for each team. Here’s what I found:

Covington’s playoff record is 46-24

Dyersburg’s playoff record is 22-26

Now, stock market people will tell you that past performance does not predict future gains, or something similar. However, I think that in this case, the school’s track record in the playoffs does give you a feel for the confidence that they have this time of year. I’m thinking that Covington has a big edge here based both on past history and on Coach Kirby’s recent success in the post-season. 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, fanoffootball2013 said:

Good info @stacmot ! Kirby has been to the the State Championship three time as a assistant. (OC) I want to say Matthew Shearan was on one of the state runner up teams that Kirby was on too. He is now on the Dyersburg staff.

Thanks!  At one time J.R. was actually an assistant coach at Haywood for a year or two.  Matthew is a Brownsville native who was an assistant coach at Haywood, then Covington, now D'burg.  I'm not sure about the time frames though.

14 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I went over to the high school football database to compare the playoff results for each team. Here’s what I found:

Covington’s playoff record is 46-24

Dyersburg’s playoff record is 22-26

Now, stock market people will tell you that past performance does not predict future gains, or something similar. However, I think that in this case, the school’s track record in the playoffs does give you a feel for the confidence that they have this time of year. I’m thinking that Covington has a big edge here based both on past history and on Coach Kirby’s recent success in the post-season. 

I agree with this! Dyersburg has a good team, however, they do not have the playoff experience that covington has! Dyersburg may even have more talent but Covington has beat many teams that has had more talent! Covington knows how to prepare and again i say, They will be more hungry due to how their season ended last year. Sorry Dyersburg, Covington wins!

I will say, IF Dyersburg wins, i will cheer for them all the way!!!

Go Chargers!!!