D2A USJ hosts DCA in semifinal

Playerscoach

I think it’s DCAs year personally. The middle Class A, to me,  just has better competition and better competition makes for a better team. Just my two cents. But, on the other hand I think USJ is very hungry for a state championship after being runner up every time they’ve made it. Should be a great football game no matter what. 2 good football teams. It will be a battle for sure. One of those games where you wish this was the championship not the semifinals. 

• Like 1

If USJ is healthy I think USJ will get the win in a close game. DCA has great coaching, doesn't make a lot of mistakes and are physical. I think it'll be a great game USJ winning 28-17. (If their (USJ) running back is healthy heard he tweaked his knee and didn't even play in quarterfinal game, doesn't look like they needed him anyways). If he is limited could be a very long game. 

11 hours ago, peteyrichards said:

I think it’s DCAs year personally. The middle Class A, to me,  just has better competition and better competition makes for a better team. Just my two cents. But, on the other hand I think USJ is very hungry for a state championship after being runner up every time they’ve made it. Should be a great football game no matter what. 2 good football teams. It will be a battle for sure. One of those games where you wish this was the championship not the semifinals. 

I agree wish this game was for the gold ball bigger stage ! DCA has already defeated the other two teams in other bracket . USJ O line opens lanes whether its Steele or backups.

Still don't have a great read on this one. From the bit of film I've seen USJ looks to be a little bit bigger and more athletic up front, but DCA's line gets after it for sure. DCA has good speed and physicality. Some studs up front for both teams. 

The two things that give me pause are 1.) If Steele Haynes RB for USJ is full go and 2.) That NCS-JCS game. That was a two touchdown game into the fourth quarter which makes me wonder about the comparative level of play between regions this year. 

This USJ team has improved a lot over the course of the year, but they haven't had a competitive game in two months. They're going to have to make winning plays in crunch time on all sides of the ball to beat a team like DCA. Can they execute a two minute drill with a state championship appearance on the line? The two close games they've had this year (Goodpasture and Hardin) they've lost. 

Looking forward to this one as it looks like it should be a slugfest.

• Like 1

USJ has multiple ways to score, they just don't know it yet.   They have a lot of weapons and a lot of hungry players.            Both teams have incredible linemen.    I think this game gets decided on which line can control the 4th quarter.  This is single A ball so you are going to have a significant fatigue factor set in for one of these teams late because neither team has been tested  much this year.   Wade is 10-5 in playoffs as a head coach and Stroup is 10-7 so both head coaches have roughly same playoff head coaching experience.    The right play call on crucial 3rd downs can keep the Mo going and perhaps give the linemen the confidence in the 4th quarter to put on more steam.       Its very hard to compare regions and teams in the tennessee 9 division system, but this one appears to be evenly matched if they played this game last friday.       If someone has something different this week in their arsenal, then they have the upper hand.    

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

The 6’5” 285 LT (Jr) was injured and didn’t play last year. The sr class is highlighted now that the Sr Mr Football candidate has played great this year. They have depth now on the OL/DL. Two transfer lineman are playing . The WR corp is outstanding and the Soph RB is 190 lbs and has great vision. 

DCA goes 285, 270, 280, 225 and 225 across the OL. The Fullback is 225 and started as an 8th grader. 

This team overall is bigger faster and deeper  than last years team IMO. It’s just night and day different from what they could do on both sides of the ball last year. They lost some great players and people but got better overall IMO. 

I have to politely disagree with your statement earlier that "DCAs OL/DL are considerably more physical and their skill players on the perimeter are faster."  I believe the lines are very similar in size and physicality.  I will admit that we didn't play our best football against Goodpasture.  However, Hardin Co. was a very physical team and  we held our own against them.  They are a 4A school that went undefeated for 11 weeks and we only surrender 147 yard rushing to them.  We were without our starting Mr. Football candidate at running back and then lost our # 2 on the 1st series of the game.  #3 was lost in the 3rd quarter and we finished the game with #4  (a freshman that had never stepped on a high school field before).  He will be very good before he graduates from USJ.

USJ goes 276, 290, 235, 230 and 270 across the OL.  We also have a 6'4" 240 TE that has been a starting OT for the previous 3 seasons with above average speed.  I think our line depth will end up playing a big factor in the game as only 1 of our 5 OL play defense.  

I attended the DCA/NCS game this year.  It was a slugfest between 2 really good teams.  I believe the wet conditions and soggy field played into NCS's favor that night because it evened the QB play.  DCA's QB does a great with play action but he wasn't able to take advantage because of the wet conditions.  This week will be a little chilly but dry.  DCA's QB ability to throw accurately will be a big test for USJ.  In my opinion; USJ's pass rush or lack of will determine the game.  It might be a long night for DCA if USJ gets pressure on the QB and force him into ill-advised throws.  On the other hand; it might be a long night for USJ if DCA's QB just sits in the pocket with all day to throw.   

All football coaches say that the team with the least amount of turnovers most likely will win the game.  That cliche might be true with this game.  

• Like 2

Some updated numbers from USJ:

We actually go 600 pounds, 550, 435, 700 and 750 across the o-line. There's a 900 pound eighth grader who might very well be in the mix on the d-line on Friday night as well.

All this size stuff is fine and dandy. Every team adds 10-20 pounds and an inch or two to their players on the roster sheet. USJ has had some big lines these last few years but they made a lot of hay for 30 years with 200 pound linemen. When size is comparable the difference is speed off the ball, technique and depth/conditioning.

7 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

You quoted me about the OL/DL and skill players. My comment was about the players for Goodpasture and Hardin county not USJ. Watching the players from both those teams  on film it is my opinion DCAs kids play with more physicality and speed plus they likely get back their 310 OG this week. 310, 285, 270, and 280 is very big for D2A. 

I can tell you that 19, 7, 3, and 9 are legit very very fast kids with the fastest track guy on the team is actually the kicker. Goodpasture and Hardin county did not compare to that group of fast and talented players. I mean, you have six track guys all in that 4.5 range with again the K being a sub 4.5 guy. 

Since you saw the NCS game you saw the DCA defense hold them to 100 yards of total offense and the OL/DL both get pressure and protect. With the DL playing three and rotating 3 depth is not an issue plus two fast and talented 225 lb LBs behind them helps against the run. 

Both teams have to cover and tackle well every play or it could be catastrophic. Will be a fun game for sure. 

… Trying to decide whether to believe your opinion or that of the 23 D1 coaches who have offered Kaydin Pope of Hardin County. For. His. Speed. With SIX 4.5 track guys, I’m starting to wonder if you guys should make the trip or if we should just mail you the trophy? We locked down Pope. Here’s to hoping the coaches can find a way for us to compete Friday. 

Also interesting that we didn’t run into you guys at the state track meet last year. None of the guys that Tabor (USJ) left in the dust in the 100M or 200M were wearing DCA uniforms. Are you sure you’re timing them right?

4 hours ago, Kublah said:

Some updated numbers from USJ:

We actually go 600 pounds, 550, 435, 700 and 750 across the o-line. There's a 900 pound eighth grader who might very well be in the mix on the d-line on Friday night as well.

All this size stuff is fine and dandy. Every team adds 10-20 pounds and an inch or two to their players on the roster sheet. USJ has had some big lines these last few years but they made a lot of hay for 30 years with 200 pound linemen. When size is comparable the difference is speed off the ball, technique and depth/conditioning.

:-D size hurts, speed kills. Regardless of anything on this thread, it's gonna be a good game.

• Like 1