2021 Sonic Shootout

ukhoops

17 hours ago, cr1 said:

First off, there are untrue statements in this post. I know because I played for Clarkrange and definitely scrimmaged York girls in an official scrimmage. There’s so much bad blood here. Don’t touch it. Those scrimmages always ended with fights, clothing ripped off, and sometimes, injuries. Let it go. 

York and Clarkrange girls have never scrimmaged before from what i can remember. If there was fights, clothes being ripped off and injuries, word would have gotten around and everyone in Fentress County would have heard about it when it happened because everything get passed around pretty quick here... York and Clarkrange boys NEVER had any issues in their scrimmages. Heck these boys and girls play each other 3-4 times a year every year in grade school... Why do their feelings toward each other apparently change once in high school? Your post make absolutely no sense and is entirely not true.

Idk if you ever go to any of the York games, but when Clarkrange doesn't have a game that night some of the players from both of the girls and boys teams go sit with the York pep club every game and the coaches even show up to the games... If there was ANY bad blood at all those kids would not sit where they do nor would you think their coaches would allow them to even be there.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, YorkPride21 said:

Yes, Clarkrange forfeited the game according to the tournament director. 

To use the excuse that they can’t play York due to a shooting that happened 40-50 years ago is a pretty poor one. There is no agreement, rule or anything in place saying these two teams can’t play. York has been trying to schedule with Clarkrange for years and years but get turned down every time. The boys even used to scrimmage before the season a few years ago but for some reason the girls never wanted too. 

But the bracket for this tournament was put out over a month in advance, they knew there would be a possibility of meeting up with York… I feel bad for the girls from both teams to have this game taken away from them like this. York coaches wanted to play this game but Clarkrange had no intentions of wanting to play at all. 

Funny that you say that- Clarkrange used to try to get Coach Lee Linder to play them, Coach Bruce Winningham, and even Tonya Storie... the two teams used to scrimmage but never would York play a regular season game. Then school board member added provision. Boys did play in Livingston tournament in ‘96... but that was only time and before the school board member was a member. 
This is in place due to best interest of kids and community, as it’s evident through this post that there are quite a few adults that are only thinking of themselves, not the kids. 
Many former Lady Buffaloes can attest to scrimmaging the Dragonettes. And I’m sure many former Dragonettes can remember scrimmaging the Lady Buffaloes. It’s obvious you never played or you’d, too, remember. 

Edited by Ucbballplayer

7 hours ago, mas1821 said:

Regardless of the why, when 2 teams are scheduled and 1 wants to play and the other refuses to play, the team that refuses should be awarded a loss via forfeit.  This is coming from someone without a dog in the race. 

No doubt it ought to be a forfeit. Both teams saw the field when they decided to play. Don’t think it sets a good example to kids if the reason they aren’t playing is something that happened way back. I like Clarkrange and have a top notch program, but they seen the field.

Edited by pioneer42
  • Upvote 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, UCPrepShowcase said:

Not the case at all.... Check with Michael Dodgen and Eric Mitchell, tournament directors. The only arrangement was they would not play in the first round... Somebody is pulling your chain and telling you what you wanna hear so you wouold get on here and run your mouth...

You wanna play Baxter? Fine with us....

Lamar dodged this game himself and it will go down as a forfeit

The arrangement was that they wouldn’t play at all. This is the actual case. *eye roll*

Coach Rogers isn’t scared of losing a game or he’d not have the schedule that he does each year- especially playing teams like White Co and other AAA and AA teams. He doesn’t “dodge” anyone. There is a school board member provision in place- and I’m sure that the superintendent himself could tell you to your face. 
All the big talk of those of the north end of Fentress county, I’m certain, made him want to add them to the schedule, yet the school board member most likely reminded all that there will be no game between these two schools. Best interest.
Kids at both schools are great student-athletes- best of luck to both for remainder of season! 

2 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

No doubt it ought to be a forfeit. Both teams saw the field when they decided to play. Don’t think it sets a good example to kids if the reason they aren’t playing is something that happened way back. I like Clarkrange and have a top notch program, but they seen the field.

7 hours ago, YorkPride21 said:

York and Clarkrange girls have never scrimmaged before from what i can remember. If there was fights, clothes being ripped off and injuries, word would have gotten around and everyone in Fentress County would have heard about it when it happened because everything get passed around pretty quick here... York and Clarkrange boys NEVER had any issues in their scrimmages. Heck these boys and girls play each other 3-4 times a year every year in grade school... Why do their feelings toward each other apparently change once in high school? Your post make absolutely no sense and is entirely not true.

Idk if you ever go to any of the York games, but when Clarkrange doesn't have a game that night some of the players from both of the girls and boys teams go sit with the York pep club every game and the coaches even show up to the games... If there was ANY bad blood at all those kids would not sit where they do nor would you think their coaches would allow them to even be there.

They have absolutely scrimmaged before. I remember myself scrimmaging at York when Tonya Storie played. 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:38 PM, UCPrepShowcase said:

York wanted to play.... was ready to play... shorthanded btw.... but still ready to play....

Dont believe me??? Ask Dodgen and Mitchell.... I have....

Jodi, No way you can justify this... On one hand you complain because people won't play Cookeville (aka Baxter) and then in the same breath you try to justify Lamar HIMSELF deciding this game wouldn't happen....

Director of Schools (Jones AND Bush) has even said they should've played

Lamar has said the 1 schoolboard member told him not to play... You think that ANY schoolboard member tells Lamar what to do with his program??????

The schedules were set and sent to the coaches TWO MONTHS ago!!!! If he didn't wanna take the chance to play? Bow out BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT STARTS!!!! York was denied an opportunity to get better against "the goat" as he's been called....

They played in 95 and NOTHING out of the way happened

This is a forfeit and everyone knows it

The girls never played in ‘95- the boys played in ‘96. 
And Superintendent Jones said they should NOT have played. 
Best of luck to York this season. 
Everyone has opinions... just like they think they know all details. 
Sorry you felt York was denied an opportunity to get better. They are a great team- both teams are. And this is about them. Not your opinion and what you’ve said others have said. I’m sure Clarkrange isn’t losing sleep over this or your opinion and what you are saying you know - when you don’t. Obviously there was an agreement in place- perhaps it should have been dated and in writing so you could see and been done a bit more professionally for those that want to sling negative remarks toward a good coach and a school that is single A. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:21 AM, option76 said:

It makes no sense not to play this game. I’ve grown up in Fentress County and pretty much lived here most my adult life other than leaving for college.  I love to follow the sports programs from grade school all the way through.  Even try to livestream some of the games for the kids that have gone on to play the college level.  To say you don’t want to play a game because of animosity between the schools is ludicrous.  That is a thing of the past.  Was talking to a friend the other day and they made a very valid point.  How can these same kids played each other 3 or 4 times a year during middle school but get to high school and it’s a issue.  They have played travel ball together and for years 3 or 4 of the Clarkrange team has had kids that travel from the north end to play ball.  I’m sorry but Lamar just showed the kids if you don’t like how it is going just say  I’m not  gonna do it.  

Obviously and apparently it’s the adults. The kids are kids and have played in elementary, yes. But, again, more to it. And you can dig and find out more since you’re from Fentress Co. Not just the 60’s and early 70’s shooting, either. 
The animosity toward the south end has been demonstrated for years. And it’s showing clearly on here now- not from kids, from adults. 
If this gives those that have always had negative things to say about Coach Rogers and Clarkrange, then so be it. 
There indeed is a school board member that has stated these two teams won’t play. And indeed back before he was a member, Coach Rogers tried to get York to play during season. And both teams DID scrimmage- last I remember was at York in late 90’s. But could have been even more recent than that. 
Best of luck to BOTH teams this season. 

• CoachT locked this topic