Region 7 3A

Allthetalk

Last year the Region finished Dyersburg, Covington, Millington, Ripley, Bolivar and Bolton. How do you guys see it shaping up this season? Dyersburg graduated a ton and Covington seemed to lose very few. Not sure about how the rest of the teams faired at graduation. I would say Covington is the early favorite without a doubt. 

In the days of old I would say Covington is for sure the favorite, but recently Covington has struggled against teams that they cannot overwhelm with their athletic ability. Covington is only going to play about 2 teams a year that can match up with them as far as athletes go, and they have been losing those games. Several years ago Covington could beat teams better than them due to the great coaching they had, but that is not the case now. I have heard that most of the coaching staff is the same, but not having Marty Wheeler on the sideless is a huge difference. I know the coach they have now has been around Covington as well as West Tennessee for a while, coaching in different spots, but he seems to lose the "big games" more so than not. Because of this, my prediction for this region goes like this...

1. Dyersburg

2. Ripley

3. Covington

4. Millington

5. Bolivar

6. Bolton 

On 2/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, JoeBlow777 said:

In the days of old I would say Covington is for sure the favorite, but recently Covington has struggled against teams that they cannot overwhelm with their athletic ability. Covington is only going to play about 2 teams a year that can match up with them as far as athletes go, and they have been losing those games. Several years ago Covington could beat teams better than them due to the great coaching they had, but that is not the case now. I have heard that most of the coaching staff is the same, but not having Marty Wheeler on the sideless is a huge difference. I know the coach they have now has been around Covington as well as West Tennessee for a while, coaching in different spots, but he seems to lose the "big games" more so than not. Because of this, my prediction for this region goes like this...

1. Dyersburg

2. Ripley

3. Covington

4. Millington

5. Bolivar

6. Bolton 

EL OH EL. Handle checks out

On 2/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, JoeBlow777 said:

1. Dyersburg

2. Ripley

3. Covington

4. Millington

5. Bolivar

6. Bolton 

WHAT IN THE WORLD HAS HAPPENED TO COVINGTON? They have now lost 3 in a row after a loss to Raleigh Egypt tonight. They were ranked top 10 in the state preseason and everyone that I talked to thought they would be a typical covington team that would probably go undefeated in the regular season. The wheels have come off over in tipton county it seems

That you from 2016 when Wheeler was the coach? I know Fayette Academy doesn't have much to get excited for, I am happy to sell you a season pass for Covington! :lol:

Edited by ChargerFootball

8 hours ago, ChargerFootballJunkie said:
WHAT IN THE WORLD HAS HAPPENED TO COVINGTON? They have now lost 3 in a row after a loss to Raleigh Egypt tonight. They were ranked top 10 in the state preseason and everyone that I talked to thought they would be a typical covington team that would probably go undefeated in the regular season. The wheels have come off over in tipton county it seems

That you from 2016 when Wheeler was the coach? I know Fayette Academy doesn't have much to get excited for, I am happy to sell you a season pass for Covington! :lol:

I don't understand? What does this have to do with my post about the recent coach losing games to teams that have equal talent? 

1 hour ago, FBfan26 said:

Just curious to a outsider looking in does everybody in the region run the wingt/Option? I’ve seen Covington multiple times and dyersburg for the first time last year.

No they do not. The other teams in this region run different offenses, but some do have the option in their arsenal. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I don't understand? What does this have to do with my post about the recent coach losing games to teams that have equal talent? 

2019 11-3 Semi Final loss to Pearl Cohn

(15 total points deciding factor; 14-7, 20-13, 21-20) 

2020 8-2 Covid Forfeit  in 2nd Round  

(8 total points deciding factor; 14-7, 22-21) 

2021 9-3 Quarterfinal loss 

(44 total point deciding factor; 29-22 Dyersburg, 33-0 Haywood, 21-20 Dyersburg) 

28-8 (78% winning percentage) 

That’s without getting into the 2-0 record Coach Kirby has head up over Coach Wheeler; or facility upgrades that the current coach and staff has personally completed and facilitated since March 2019. 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:52 PM, ChargerFootballJunkie said:

2019 11-3 Semi Final loss to Pearl Cohn

(15 total points deciding factor; 14-7, 20-13, 21-20) 

2020 8-2 Covid Forfeit  in 2nd Round  

(8 total points deciding factor; 14-7, 22-21) 

2021 9-3 Quarterfinal loss 

(44 total point deciding factor; 29-22 Dyersburg, 33-0 Haywood, 21-20 Dyersburg) 

28-8 (78% winning percentage) 

That’s without getting into the 2-0 record Coach Kirby has head up over Coach Wheeler; or facility upgrades that the current coach and staff has personally completed and facilitated since March 2019. 

Listen I'm not saying that JR Kirby can't coach. I am saying that they lose games now that they did not lose under Marty Wheeler. How many state championship game appearances does JR Kirby have? I rest my case...

7 hours ago, JoeBlow777 said:

Listen I'm not saying that JR Kirby can't coach. I am saying that they lose games now that they did not lose under Marty Wheeler. How many state championship game appearances does JR Kirby have? I rest my case...

How many state championship games did Coach Wheeler make where Coach Kirby wasn't on staff calling plays? I should rest my case there, because the answer is zero but I’ll continue; 

The ball has bounced Covington’ s way a long, long time in key moments such as

the 28-27 over time win against Milan in ‘17

the 28-27 win over South Gibson ‘18

the 14-10 come back win over South Gibson in ‘19. 

The knock down drag out win 20-13 win over Haywood in ‘20. 

Those moments just come to mind over the last 5 years. I can assure you, there are countless more moments where the ball bounced Covington’s way in key moments, and will continue to bounce Covington’s way in key moments. Covington wins ball games right now in the off season; December, January, February,March, April, May, June, July. They win them in the weight room, day in, day out. So please, continue to fault a Coach and team who has been booted from the Quarter and Semi Round the last 2 trips by a combined TWO points.

I can assure you, those cats are going to work every day in the weight room to find those two points. 

Edited by ChargerFootballJunkie