Farragut William Blount fight

KnoxBball1969

Sounds terribly mismanaged by the officials and arbitrary "left the bench" rules. Especially to have not even gotten involved in the situation.

Shame for Farragut. Not surprised with WB not seeming to care. 

Heard a WB fan was throwing stuff at Farragut players too. I know theres a woman on the WB broadcast screamin and yellin who knows what as if a h.s. scuffle was the end of the world. :/

14 minutes ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

Sounds terribly mismanaged by the officials and arbitrary "left the bench" rules. Especially to have not even gotten involved in the situation.

Shame for Farragut. Not surprised with WB not seeming to care. 

Heard a WB fan was throwing stuff at Farragut players too. I know theres a woman on the WB broadcast screamin and yellin who knows what as if a h.s. scuffle was the end of the world. :/

How is the leaving the bench rule arbitrary?  Do you think players should be able to run out on the floor and escalate/participate in an altercation?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

How is the leaving the bench rule arbitrary?  Do you think players should be able to run out on the floor and escalate/participate in an altercation?

There's nothing arbitrary about it and any coach worth his salt had made sure that his players know it. Do not leave the bench. 

I would be surprised if these players had not been told to never leave the bench. 

• Like 1

This was no celebration during a timeout. Equating those two circumstances is really reaching, imo. 

As for how far is too far, there were reports that most (if not all) of the Farragut players were at midcourt. I would suggest that's more than one step. 

I was not in attendance and haven't seen video either way, but players running onto the floor in a circumstance like this cannot be tolerated imo. 

7 minutes ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

Arbitrary in the sense of how far did they step. They didnt even engage the other team. To expect them to just sit in silence is insane.

Is 1ft stepping off the bench? Is it 8ft? Who decides? You can have the rule all day, but not a single bench player got involved but is still punished for standing up and taking a step.

The TSSAA decides because they made/enforce the rules, and I am pretty sure the NCAA and NBA have the same rule.  If the players broke the rule by coming onto the court during an altercation, then they should suffer the punishment.  Coaches, referees, and police officers were out there to stop the fight.  Staying on the bench as a player is not insane in my opinion.  I hate it for Farragut since this is their best team in the last 20 years and would like to see them play Bearden again in an electric atmosphere.

I think you all are missing the point here. 

It is an arbitrary rule if only TSSAA decides and aren't consistent. Either the rule is "leaving the bench" or it isn't. Leaving the bench is leaving the bench regardless of the circumstances.

Show me Farragut players coming off the bench and taking part in the scuffle.

This entire situation should have been a double tech, maybe ejection on 12 for Farragut and 20 for WB and continue on with the game.

It's pure incompetence on the refs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

I think you all are missing the point here. 

It is an arbitrary rule if only TSSAA decides and aren't consistent. Either the rule is "leaving the bench" or it isn't. Leaving the bench is leaving the bench regardless of the circumstances.

Show me Farragut players coming off the bench and taking part in the scuffle.

This entire situation should have been a double tech, maybe ejection on 12 for Farragut and 20 for WB and continue on with the game.

It's pure incompetence on the refs.

You can argue what it SHOULD have been. But according to reporters, the game was canceled due to the lack of players. Athletics directors and coaches were told that… it’s a reality now of what happened. My question is what’s taking so long? Is Farragut arguing with the TSSAA? There have been teams in Knoxville that had similar instances and they received postseason bans…. Of course they are located in a different part of town with less money