Farragut William Blount fight

KnoxBball1969

28 minutes ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

I think you all are missing the point here. 

It is an arbitrary rule if only TSSAA decides and aren't consistent. Either the rule is "leaving the bench" or it isn't. Leaving the bench is leaving the bench regardless of the circumstances.

Show me Farragut players coming off the bench and taking part in the scuffle.

This entire situation should have been a double tech, maybe ejection on 12 for Farragut and 20 for WB and continue on with the game.

It's pure incompetence on the refs.

The reference to celebrations during timeouts show that you don’t know that there is a specific rule in the NFHS manual for this situation. During a fight or altercation, players leaving the bench whether they are participants or nonparticipants are assessed a flagrant technical foul and ejected. Since both benches cleared, everyone who was bench personnel was then disqualified from the contest. I would assume there were not enough players already on the floor (the original ten out there) who did not participate to continue the game, as someone above in the thread posted the tweet that said that there were only two players that were not assessed flagrant technicals. The officials don’t have much discretion when chaos ensues and everyone is on the floor. I applaud them, the cops, and the staff for getting it handled and keeping it from further escalating. 

Edited by rulesguru1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rulesguru1 said:

The reference to celebrations during timeouts show that you don’t know that there is a specific rule in the NFHS manual for this situation. During a fight or altercation, players leaving the bench whether they are participants or nonparticipants are assessed a flagrant technical foul and ejected. Since both benches cleared, everyone who was bench personnel was then disqualified from the contest. I would assume there were not enough players already on the floor (the original ten out there) who did not participate, as someone above in the thread posted the tweet that said that there were only two players that were not assessed flagrant technicals. The officials don’t have much discretion when chaos ensues and everyone is on the floor. I applaud them, the cops, and the staff for getting it handled and keeping it from further escalating. 

There we go. That's what I'm looking for. People just keep saying "but they left the bench" with no reference to the specific rule.

12 minutes ago, KnoxBball1969 said:

You can argue what it SHOULD have been. But according to reporters, the game was canceled due to the lack of players. Athletics directors and coaches were told that… it’s a reality now of what happened. My question is what’s taking so long? Is Farragut arguing with the TSSAA? There have been teams in Knoxville that had similar instances and they received postseason bans…. Of course they are located in a different part of town with less money

I'm sure they were super similar situations. /s

3 minutes ago, ihavenofriendzz said:

There we go. That's what I'm looking for. People just keep saying "but they left the bench" with no reference to the specific rule.

NFHS 10-8

a. Players on the court:

(1) Corresponding number from each team – double flagrant fouls, all participants are disqualified, no free throws are awarded, ball is put in play at the point of interruption.

(2) Numbers of participants are not corresponding – Flagrant fouls and disqualification for all participants, two free throws are awarded for the offended team for each additional player, offended team awarded a division line throw in.

b. Bench personnel leaving the team bench during a fight or when a fight may break out:

(1) Do NOT participate in the fight – nonparticipants are assessed flagrant fouls and disqualified. The head coach is assessed a maximum of one indirect technical foul (regardless of the number leaving the bench). If the number leaving the bench for each team is corresponding, no free throws are awarded, and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. If the number leaving the bench for each team is unequal, a maximum of two free throws are awarded the offended team, followed by a division line throw-in opposite the table.

(2) Participate in the fight – all participants are assessed flagrant fouls and disqualified. The head coach is assessed one indirect technical foul for each person leaving the bench and participating in the fight. If the number leaving the bench for each team is corresponding, no free throws are awarded, and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. If the number leaving the bench for each team is unequal, two free throws are awarded the offended team for each additional person leaving the bench, followed by a division line throw-in opposite the table.”

• Like 2

Refs totally overreacted to this matter.   There were no punches thrown and the majority of the players on the court were trying to restore order after the initial dustup.   From what I saw: 

-- Toss #12 for Farragut for acting the way he did.   Threw elbows and then started running around the floor yelling

-- Personal foul on the WBHS player for the foul of #12 after the rebound.

-- FHS shoots a 1n1 for the personal foul, WBHS shoots 2 for the tech on #12, FHS gets the ball under WBHS basket.

-- None of this happens w/o the actions of #12.   His foolishness and selfishness may cost his team the opportunity to advance.  FHS has the game won, don't throw elbows and don't run around the floor yelling after the fact.

-- FHS coaching staff was trying to calm everything down during and after the fact.   WBHS coach kept yelling at the refs and kept his team and fans worked up over it.

-- An overzealous ref made more of this than it was.   It was two teams competing and the game started to get rough as it got late.   The refs were slow to take control and it got too rough but then one player (#12 for FHS) ignited the problems.  Eject him and the game would have ended.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BackwardsK said:

Refs totally overreacted to this matter.   There were no punches thrown and the majority of the players on the court were trying to restore order after the initial dustup.   From what I saw: 

-- Toss #12 for Farragut for acting the way he did.   Threw elbows and then started running around the floor yelling

-- Personal foul on the WBHS player for the foul of #12 after the rebound.

-- FHS shoots a 1n1 for the personal foul, WBHS shoots 2 for the tech on #12, FHS gets the ball under WBHS basket.

-- None of this happens w/o the actions of #12.   His foolishness and selfishness may cost his team the opportunity to advance.  FHS has the game won, don't throw elbows and don't run around the floor yelling after the fact.

-- FHS coaching staff was trying to calm everything down during and after the fact.   WBHS coach kept yelling at the refs and kept his team and fans worked up over it.

-- An overzealous ref made more of this than it was.   It was two teams competing and the game started to get rough as it got late.   The refs were slow to take control and it got too rough but then one player (#12 for FHS) ignited the problems.  Eject him and the game would have ended.

Ref caused a season to end and TSSAA was able to fall back on the rule in place as an out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Ref caused a season to end and TSSAA was able to fall back on the rule in place as an out. 

I don't disagree with any of that.   However, when you have a 13 pt lead with less than 2 min left in the game, you have to be smarter than that.   Take the "W" and let that do your talking..   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catsfever said:

so what happens to Science Hill / DB game?  Will there be a Sectional game(s) Monday night?

There will be one Sectional game on Monday.  It will be Bearden Vs the loser of Science Hill/DB Game with the winner of that game not having to play a sectional game since no other team is left from the other region

• Like 1