AA State Tournament Matchups

westtn12

1 hour ago, mas1821 said:

If you train and pay them better, you should get better results.

Take this real world example comparison: 

Company A:  posts a job advertisement wanting a degree + 5 years experience, but having a pay range of $40k - $50k, along with a 1 week of OTJ training for systems/processes mastery.

Company B:   posts for the same type of job, with a few changes.  They want either a degree, or 5 years experience.  They have a pay range of $55k-$70k, and they have 1 week of classroom, followed by 3 weeks of OTJ training.

Which company do you feel will have more applicants?  Which company will have better prepared new hires (who will perform better)? 

Obviously company B is more invested and will get more openings filled with better results than company A.

How do you hold High School refs accountable in 2022?  Until the TSSAA makes changes, things will continue to get worse.

We already have state championship crews in football for the 2022 season. Does that sound odd? As I stated earlier, the best officials are not in Murfreesboro right now, some are at home. Some of those officials are good, while others are there because of the amount of time they have put in throughout the years. So, it's more of a "reward" for being an official for a long time, not necessarily saying they're good.

Hold do you hold these referees accountable? How about coaches adding evaluations to those officials throughout the season? I don't believe officials have access to film at all. Why? Would it be a problem if they do? Therefore, coaches and officials can communicate via email throughout the season on specific calls... Would that be a problem? Or would one a coach or an official not act like adults when it comes to communication via email? I do not believe officials and evaluators are going to spend more time training younger officials, unless they're going to get paid for that. They're not going to just work for free, that doesn't happen anymore.

How do you train officials? Reading the rulebook? Well, yeah. But it's not the "rulebook" or rules to the game that's a problem, it's common sense in games. It's the "I'm going to call an absurd tech with 2 minutes to go for some reason," it's the "I'm going to eject 24 players from this game and call this scuffle, a "fight" (aka William Blount/Farragut) boys, and the "I'm going to claim this shot as a "no shot" because it was a "pass" even though it wasn't (happened in an East Robertson game I believe). Those are 3 major officiating blunders that happened this postseason alone, and it's not based off a rule. There's a lot of assuming. Officials will throw a flag in football, or call a Tech in basketball when they see two players from the opposing team talk to each other. They would rather throw the flag or call a Tech, then to sprint into that conversation  and at least try to calm things down. Because they have the authority and power just to hand out flags and Technicals like it's Girl Scout cookies.

I want to see more celebration in football, specifically to touchdowns and turnovers (defense). I'm not saying the players have to go as far as you see on Sunday's in the NFL, but if a player scores a touchdown, or a defensive player gets a turnover, then they deserve to celebrate. There's a reason to celebrate. Apparently, baseball players are supposed to no longer "throw an object" (aka bat flip). But why can't they? Yes, there's a limit and all, but it's taking the fun away from the game. 

Still, there are good officials in our state, and if they're young, chances our they're going to the collegiate level if they want to. But it just seems like there's a big problem with officiating at moments where there can't be a mistakes.

23 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

We already have state championship crews in football for the 2022 season. Does that sound odd? As I stated earlier, the best officials are not in Murfreesboro right now, some are at home. Some of those officials are good, while others are there because of the amount of time they have put in throughout the years. So, it's more of a "reward" for being an official for a long time, not necessarily saying they're good.

Hold do you hold these referees accountable? How about coaches adding evaluations to those officials throughout the season? I don't believe officials have access to film at all. Why? Would it be a problem if they do? Therefore, coaches and officials can communicate via email throughout the season on specific calls... Would that be a problem? Or would one a coach or an official not act like adults when it comes to communication via email? I do not believe officials and evaluators are going to spend more time training younger officials, unless they're going to get paid for that. They're not going to just work for free, that doesn't happen anymore.

How do you train officials? Reading the rulebook? Well, yeah. But it's not the "rulebook" or rules to the game that's a problem, it's common sense in games. It's the "I'm going to call an absurd tech with 2 minutes to go for some reason," it's the "I'm going to eject 24 players from this game and call this scuffle, a "fight" (aka William Blount/Farragut) boys, and the "I'm going to claim this shot as a "no shot" because it was a "pass" even though it wasn't (happened in an East Robertson game I believe). Those are 3 major officiating blunders that happened this postseason alone, and it's not based off a rule. There's a lot of assuming. Officials will throw a flag in football, or call a Tech in basketball when they see two players from the opposing team talk to each other. They would rather throw the flag or call a Tech, then to sprint into that conversation  and at least try to calm things down. Because they have the authority and power just to hand out flags and Technicals like it's Girl Scout cookies.

I want to see more celebration in football, specifically to touchdowns and turnovers (defense). I'm not saying the players have to go as far as you see on Sunday's in the NFL, but if a player scores a touchdown, or a defensive player gets a turnover, then they deserve to celebrate. There's a reason to celebrate. Apparently, baseball players are supposed to no longer "throw an object" (aka bat flip). But why can't they? Yes, there's a limit and all, but it's taking the fun away from the game. 

Still, there are good officials in our state, and if they're young, chances our they're going to the collegiate level if they want to. But it just seems like there's a big problem with officiating at moments where there can't be a mistakes.

You have been real objective with GC situation and it is appreciated. I got a video sent to me last night with the ref out of bounds and the play keeps going. How does a ref not know this rule?? They scored on the play as well. Could have been another four point swing just like the tech. There was also 8 or 9 different occasions in the 4th quarter where GC went to the rim where contact altered shots and no call. On York’s end there was contact less than it was on GC’s end and fouls were called every time. One possession in the 4th quarter York had 4 different possession opportunities. I foul could have easily been called a charge, 1 foul got called when Hart snuck in behind there post and stole the ball and had a fast break layup that was called a foul and the other was an obvious ball knocked out of bounds on a rebound. Pretty obvious Hart with inside position didn’t knock the ball out of bounds but it was gave to York. Same thing happend on GC’s end. Every single ball that went out of bounds around players went York’s way all day. And then Hart gets fouled on our end, the only foul called in the 4th quarter with us going to the rim and ref got mad at our player and teched her up. I mean we had great officiating all year and we have to come to state for this corrupt BS. What a joke. State is supposed to be the big stage and is supposed to be the best refs in the business and this is what we get. Are these refs being taught to control these games?? Sad that this is what it has come to.

High school basketball officiating has and always will be bad. It’s a hard spot to officiate, they are human and it’s probably a secondary job for them. It sucks when you feel like you have been cheated by officiating but they have been missing calls/making bad calls all of my life and it isn’t changing.

1 minute ago, crow6424 said:

High school basketball officiating has and always will be bad. It’s a hard spot to officiate, they are human and it’s probably a secondary job for them. It sucks when you feel like you have been cheated by officiating but they have been missing calls/making bad calls all of my life and it isn’t changing.

I have never seen a game changing technical called in my life at state that won a game for a team at the end of a game. Upperman’s coach came out and grabbed an official and one didn’t get called against Macon County in 2018 I believe. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I have never seen a game changing technical called in my life at state that won a game for a team at the end of a game. Upperman’s coach came out and grabbed an official and one didn’t get called against Macon County in 2018 I believe. 

Yeah, our coach threw a fit. Probably could have been a tech there but to be fair it was after one of the worst calls ever made in a state championship game

4 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Yeah, our coach threw a fit. Probably could have been a tech there but to be fair it was after one of the worst calls ever made in a state championship game

Macon and Upperman were at it for a month over that no call. She came out on the floor and grabbed him.

4 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Macon and Upperman were at it for a month over that no call. She came out on the floor and grabbed him.

He probably realized how bad the call was and took pity haha. Do you remember the call? At the time it was a game losing missed call

Edited by crow6424

6 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

He probably realized how bad the call was and took pity haha. Do you remember the call? At the time it was a game losing missed call

Oh yeah. It was a three point attempt. Macon hit 1 out of 3 FT’s and it went into OT. I was watching it on NFHS. It was a great championship game. 

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Oh yeah. It was a three point attempt. Macon hit 1 out of 3 FT’s and it went into OT. I was watching it on NFHS. It was a great championship game. 

Ball never lies!!!

That girl would have knocked down 2/3 free throws 99/100 times but that particular day they didn’t go down