Why would a split not be a win-win situation?

CSense

Swamp I don't understand where you get that the travel will be any greater than what it is now for most teams. Jackson to Memphis isn't that much of a trip, and neither is Knoxville to Chattanooga. Nashville and midstate teams would play each other. Naturally 1/2 of the games are at home, so maybe once or twice in a football season there would be a one hour or 90 minute trip for a few teams. In other sports play double headers in softball, baseball and volleyball, play a basketball game on Friday night and you don't have to worry about school the next morning, play the other team Saturday. That's if it's enough to even worry about, most games wouldn't be that far away. With all the private schools in one class there should be enough teams for east, middle and western divisions in A and AA, maybe east, middle and west in AAA if a Notre Dame or Briarest played with the "super 7" What's bad is a school like St Andrew's going to Memphis four times this season. With a split they'd be in a small school region with people like Lighthouse, Nashville Christian and Columbia Academy I am thinking. Which do you think they'd prefer? I see no impact on public schoosl either if classes remain at 5-with 18 schools gone it's only 4 or 5 out of each class to balance them, most teams will have exactly the same region opponents or just one fewer. What's the problem?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for future DII travel, it might be better; I really don't follow DII.

But in the case of DI, Knox to Chattanooga isn't that far if you only have to do it once a season. If you're a rural 1A with limited funds and have to go 3 times, then it could be a problem - ask Midway. Cloudland's region is already stretches to Jellico, and it will probably stretch even farther to the west when the new system is put in place. Don't forget that when those 18 1A schools are gone, a bunch of now-2A teams will become large 1A schools (if it's still 5 classifications). And it will effect the larger classes similarly.

[Edited by swamp on 12-4-02 8:03P]

Swamp-the TSSAA site stated there are 281 football playing schools in Division I right now, and that averages out to 56 schools in each class. If you took out 18, that would leave 263. I don't mean this to sound condescending, it's helping me work it since I can't find the calculator. The average would be 52 or 53 in a class before any moving up, and I can't see how three or four fewer schools in a class would change things much in 3A-5A. You might have a current Region 5 5A team move down to 4A, but they'd go in Region 5-4A, not Region 1. Odds are either the regions would be unchanged or be plus or minus just one team. 1A would have a lot of new teams to fill the vacuum of 16 teams lost, but I don't think any would be much larger than 400 students. That shouldn't be a problem except with maybe a Trousdale who would be a problem for anyone, look what Cloudland did and another very small school Copper Basin upset Polk County, one of the best 2A publics in the east playoff bracket. I don't think Bruceton is too big either. You'd have CAK gone and Boyd-Buchanan gone, but that just means either one less team in those regions or a former 2A team to take their place. The Nashville private region would be gone, but there should be midstate schools not too far away for Jo Byrns. Any other areas I don't see having a problem either, just place the 12 or so former 2A schools where needed. You'd have to take some 2A teams down to 1A but with fewer 1A teams after balancing the classes it wouldn't be as many as I have thought previously.I'm having trouble explaining what I figured in my head, no surprise, but after the "vacuum" is filled the three largest classes would just average the remaining teams and lose only 3 or 4 each-I think. Now if you moved down to four classes, then you'd see some changed regions. Five is good, especially since it leaves three of the five classes virtually unchanged.

[Edited by Indian on 12-4-02 9:17P]

Okay I think I figured a way to explain that but I had to get away from that last post before I started doing a Linda Blair headspin. Say you have 56 1A schools before a split and 16 are taken out. That leaves 40, and you have to move down 12 or 13 to get to the new average of 52 or 53 (or whatever, I forgot). 2A is down to around 44, plus Lipscomb and Goodpasture are gone so 42 are left. 10 or 11 3A teams move down. 46 3A teams are left, so move down 7 or 8 4A teams. Then move down 5 or fewer 5A teams to 4A and all classes should have about the same number. That's a little more movement than I thought but I still don't see how it would affect travel that greatly. Teams would move down to the same Region #, only a size lower.

We have had two private suppoters get on here and openly accuse DII privates of recruiting(cheating) yet they mention no names, no schools, nothing. Yet, if the same is done to a DI private team you guys scream "give me proof, gime me names, take it to TSSAA. Well, I say the same to you guys. Give us proof, give us names, take it to the TSSAA. Recruiting by DII schools is illegal and should be dealt with.

Ego,

Why the post to me about coaches salaries? I have said money, coaches and several other things are not issues of debate here. Do you feel that they are? I could care less if every private coach made $10,000 more than every public coach, that is not an advantage that the TSSAA has any say about.

Indian, you don't have to qualify all these posts; I'm not having any trouble understanding what you are saying, although I still disagree. You say that the regions remain virtually unchanged - but I think there are already problem regions. You have Fayetteville to Crossville; Lawrenceburg to Sparta; Cloudland to Jellico; and Madisonville to Coalmont, among others. Teams that drop from 2A to 1A (and so on) wouldn't necessarily drop to the same number region in the lower class, because the teams aren't evenly spread across the state. For example, region 4-3A stretches as far west as Portland, but region 4-4A is in the southeast corner.

I really can't understand why the 1a and 2a privates are against playing in their own division. You can still have a financial and nonfinancial aid division. I think a division with CPA, Ezell, DCA, Boyd, David Lipscomb, Goodpasture, FRA, USJ, FCA, Jackson Christian, etc. would be an awesome division. The small privates all preach that the small publics should want to play the best competition. Well, what's wrong with this division? Most of them play each other already. I just don't see the problem except for maybe Boyd and the Jackson team's travel. Maybe the tssaa could help offset some of those team's travel costs.

Posted by Antwan:

I really can't understand why the 1a and 2a privates are against playing in their own division. You can still have a financial and nonfinancial aid division. I think a division with CPA, Ezell, DCA, Boyd, David Lipscomb, Goodpasture, FRA, USJ, FCA, Jackson Christian, etc. would be an awesome division. The small privates all preach that the small publics should want to play the best competition. Well, what's wrong with this division? Most of them play each other already. I just don't see the problem except for maybe Boyd and the Jackson team's travel. Maybe the tssaa could help offset some of those team's travel costs.

Antwan...Is it hard to understand that private schools would want to play against all teams? Believe it or not, but private schools are not always the best. When the two compete together it gives more competition and a true sense of champion. I don`t think it is necessarily that they don`t want to play against private schools only, but they want to continue to compete, win or lose, against all the schools in the state. I only wish that public schools invited the competition as well.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Posted by Antwan:

Antwan...Is it hard to understand that private schools would want to play against all teams? Believe it or not, but private schools are not always the best. When the two compete together it gives more competition and a true sense of champion. I don`t think it is necessarily that they don`t want to play against private schools only, but they want to continue to compete, win or lose, against all the schools in the state. I only wish that public schools invited the competition as well.

If you want to play the best competition, move up to 4a or 5a. Is that not the best competition? I don't buy it's a competition thing. Travel, maybe...competition, no way.

[Edited by Antwan on 12-7-02 8:49A]