Sweetwater @ Meigs County

Yeti

2 minutes ago, BigFoot423 said:

Meigs is young and pulled out a win, I think Martin called a really good game. He utilized his talent well. 
meigs had some big plays when it mattered. 
personally thought meigs ran the ball well but we did what meigs does and ran the QB. 
Meigs passed more than any Meigs fan would have ever thought 

there is a lot to tighten up for Meigs to have a successful season. 

great win for meigs, showed they will fight to the end 

I’ll never discount meigs I think those kids are great, however Martin did not call a great game. Our run game was working very well. Martin out coaches his self week after week. Clock management was atrocious. He even left a timeout on the table when he was trying to substitute and got an illegal substitution. Martin is a great leader of men but he struggles at the coaching part. 

1 hour ago, Yeti said:

I'm not denying Sweetwater was good and better through three quarters. But when it mattered the kids and the coaches showed up. That's all im.saying bud.

I agree 100% I think Meigs was in better shape and it showed in the 4th. Sweetwater had several players go down with cramps. I think you said in another post that the team in the best shape would win.

32 minutes ago, Dadof2 said:

I agree 100% I think Meigs was in better shape and it showed in the 4th. Sweetwater had several players go down with cramps. I think you said in another post that the team in the best shape would win.

I said that as well. It’s been an issue for a few years for sweetwater

7 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I wish I would have went to this one.Good game by both.

Well I had a good seat. Front and center. We got hit early with the first play going for a touchdown. I thing coach being out hurt. The usually rowdy tiger crowd was dead about the whole game. Meigs slowly tightened up the defense as the game progressed. We were in better shape. The play of the game was The throw from Meadows to Pendergrass and Pendergrass turned on the jets  for a big gain and set the momentum for the win! Hopefully we get better as the season progresses and hopefully the crowd brings it the rest of the year. 

Hard to place the blame anywhere but Sweetwater’s coaching staff. Terrible special teams, bad game management, and leaving players in the game that are visibly struggling from a physical standpoint. Highly impress with the pure determination Meigs played with. It was a good example of how a team with good conditioning and pure determination is always in the game. 

An assessment

1st play of the game just after kickoff Sweetwater has a 50+ yard touch down run. Good play, good run but alot of missed tackles on our end to help you out on that run. We get the ball we drive down easily to about the 30 yard line or so and fumble and Sweetwater recovers the ball. A couple of exchanges of possession and Sweetwater scores again making it 15-0. Meigs just before the half drives down and has a perfectly timed and executed pass to the corner of the end zone making it 15-8. Meigs got the ball after the half and could not keep the drive going and had to punt. We had poor field position all night. Sweetwater had the ball at the 50 near every time we had to punt. Sweetwater drives down and makes it 22-8 and thats where we were going into the 4th quarter. Meigs has a good drive and scores bringing the score to 22-15. Sweetwater gets the ball has a good drive but gets stalled goes for it on 4th down but Meigs defense at this time held strong. We get the ball around the 40 yard line or so and drive down and score with 2 minutes and about 17 seconds left?? We opt to go for two and the lead and with great effort from our qb manage to punch it in at the corner of the end zone. Sweetwater was visibly gassed and distraught at this time. We play off the ball some on defense as to not to allow the big play and Sweetwatver drives down the field. They get nearly within field goal range and in all honesty fall apart visibly on the field. They had a timeout left which would have easily gotten them time to kick the field goal but opted or forgot to take it? Either way they were scrambling around with 2.2 seconds left on the clock to kick a field goal and kick it and it's wide right. Meigs crowd goes wild and Sweetwater has lost the game in grand fashion. 

Couple things. 

Meigs never gave up, kids played four full quarters and played to win. 

Without coach Fitzgerald on the field the assistants called a lights out game and never waned even when we were down 15-0 at one point or 22-8 going in to the 4th quarter. 

Finally we opted to go for 2 points and take the lead rather than go for a tie and overtime. Ballsy playcalling and it worked out. 

Sweetwater when they were nearing kicking range committed a few penalties as they were running out if time and It really made it much more difficult to make the kick due to the chaos and time constraints. Again a time out was left on the clock.

It's obvious which team had been in big games or tight games and which team had not. As all of the 4th quarter Meigs played with poise and Sweetwater just plain fell apart. 

That's the game as I saw it. Not a poke or jab at Sweetwater just what I thought transpired over the evening. 

Edited by Yeti

Let me start by saying great game Friday night-both teams.  Next I just have to speak FACTS only with my statements.  I’ve been a follower of SHS Football a long time.  I was here before Coach Martin came here and I’ll be here when you guys run him off.   I am on the sidelines every Friday night so I only speak FACTS.  Everything said is what I personally witnessed and heard Friday.   First and foremost there was not a timeout left by shs. Just because it said it on scoreboard doesn’t make it official. With 7 minutes left in game I witnessed Martin speak to officials about timeout situation exact words after official pulled his paper out shs had 1 timeout meigs had 2 FACT....  I can tell you Martin’s response to official if you want me to.  The thought that a couple of you guys would say shs didn’t call a timeout and had one is certainly not guruish lol.  It’s just like chains on sidelines or down and distance on scoreboard not official and is incorrect quiite often so your entire statement immediately is not true—-you guru had it wrong.    Secondly the comments about game management being an issue and players out of shape perplex me—I witnessed from sideline more players run in and out than I have in a long time especially on the def line side.and I wouldn’t complain about off line shs rushed for 250 and was right under400 total yards  for game FACT last year rockwood game down 28 to 7 in 4th came back to win in overtime converting multiple 4th downs remember I’m on sideline this is fact.  Signal mountain last year down 34 to 14 with minutes left came back 34 to 28 and an onside recovery from possibly winning (game management) out of shape for years it doesn’t add up.  FACT. Signal mountain again a couple of years ago down 24 to 74th qtr came back won in overtime once again conditioning and play calling not issue.   Remember facts only here   The most bizarre statement is how coach Martin mismanaged the last drive of the game   What is that.  SHS started at their own 7 yard line and moved it to meigs 25 yard line in 1 min and some odd seconds with ONLY 1 timeout as stated above and got a kick at the end of game with chance to win it. What the h—- are you seeing.  You couldn’t ask for a better 2 min drive in high school football   Once again I was on sideline Friday night I saw and heard up and personal everything stated.   Also answer this if shs was so bad out of shape how were they able to take last drive of game and go straight down field ? Interesting——let me enlighten you a little MOMENTUM has a way of changing ballgames of any kind   Just bc you don’t score every time or don’t stop the opponent doesn’t mean your not in shape.  Meigs players were puking not shs players and as far as cramping some kids cramp regardless   I watch football college and pro and quite often see those kids cramp —you telling me they are not in shape? Coaches can’t control the crap kids eat and drink the entire week    Both teams were exhausted period.   The last thing I will say is the substitution penalty was when the FG team went out on field with clock running and NO timeouts. 3 ran off 3 ran off officials throw flag FACTS only I have HUDL it’s on film still don’t know what penalty was.    So basically your guru opinions don’t really address the FACTS.  If you can give me some facts on shs game management being issues in games like you stated has been going on for years please feel free and I will agree with you but remember facts only not just the way you the self proclaimed guru would have done something.   And by the way it’s really telling when you create a name like guru which obviously your not  .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 20wardogfacts said:

Let me start by saying great game Friday night-both teams.  Next I just have to speak FACTS only with my statements.  I’ve been a follower of SHS Football a long time.  I was here before Coach Martin came here and I’ll be here when you guys run him off.   I am on the sidelines every Friday night so I only speak FACTS.  Everything said is what I personally witnessed and heard Friday.   First and foremost there was not a timeout left by shs. Just because it said it on scoreboard doesn’t make it official. With 7 minutes left in game I witnessed Martin speak to officials about timeout situation exact words after official pulled his paper out shs had 1 timeout meigs had 2 FACT....  I can tell you Martin’s response to official if you want me to.  The thought that a couple of you guys would say shs didn’t call a timeout and had one is certainly not guruish lol.  It’s just like chains on sidelines or down and distance on scoreboard not official and is incorrect quiite often so your entire statement immediately is not true—-you guru had it wrong.    Secondly the comments about game management being an issue and players out of shape perplex me—I witnessed from sideline more players run in and out than I have in a long time especially on the def line side.and I wouldn’t complain about off line shs rushed for 250 and was right under400 total yards  for game FACT last year rockwood game down 28 to 7 in 4th came back to win in overtime converting multiple 4th downs remember I’m on sideline this is fact.  Signal mountain last year down 34 to 14 with minutes left came back 34 to 28 and an onside recovery from possibly winning (game management) out of shape for years it doesn’t add up.  FACT. Signal mountain again a couple of years ago down 24 to 74th qtr came back won in overtime once again conditioning and play calling not issue.   Remember facts only here   The most bizarre statement is how coach Martin mismanaged the last drive of the game   What is that.  SHS started at their own 7 yard line and moved it to meigs 25 yard line in 1 min and some odd seconds with ONLY 1 timeout as stated above and got a kick at the end of game with chance to win it. What the h—- are you seeing.  You couldn’t ask for a better 2 min drive in high school football   Once again I was on sideline Friday night I saw and heard up and personal everything stated.   Also answer this if shs was so bad out of shape how were they able to take last drive of game and go straight down field ? Interesting——let me enlighten you a little MOMENTUM has a way of changing ballgames of any kind   Just bc you don’t score every time or don’t stop the opponent doesn’t mean your not in shape.  Meigs players were puking not shs players and as far as cramping some kids cramp regardless   I watch football college and pro and quite often see those kids cramp —you telling me they are not in shape? Coaches can’t control the crap kids eat and drink the entire week    Both teams were exhausted period.   The last thing I will say is the substitution penalty was when the FG team went out on field with clock running and NO timeouts. 3 ran off 3 ran off officials throw flag FACTS only I have HUDL it’s on film still don’t know what penalty was.    So basically your guru opinions don’t really address the FACTS.  If you can give me some facts on shs game management being issues in games like you stated has been going on for years please feel free and I will agree with you but remember facts only not just the way you the self proclaimed guru would have done something.   And by the way it’s really telling when you create a name like guru which obviously your not  .

How many Timeouts were called on special teams by sweetwater?? The final drive was 8 passes that went for roughly 63 yards in a minute and a half… the last time out was called at 1:02. With 30 seconds left from the meigs county 29, sweetwater chose to run 3 straight running plays with no timeouts…which resulted in a net +5 Yards and a rushed 47 yard field goal with 2 seconds left on the clock… how can you think that’s not mismanaging the end of the game?

Edited by bitterfan

I will happily answer it bc believe me I was very near the off staff at that point of game   Once they got it to the 20 yd line they felt had time to run 1 or 2 plays towards middle of field spike the ball with 4 5 6 seconds left send out fg team when the qb or rb I’m not sure fumbled the football and the pile laid there and there referee didn’t have ball set under 10 sec left the only thing to do was send out whatever red field goal is  that’s when the phantom substitution penalty came out as stated above I was on sidelines 3 ran on 3 ran off flag came out now let me teach you something else about 2 min off red fg was on the field after that penalty at that time of the game the game clock starts on referees whistle not snap of ball they had no choice but to snap and kick it which they did I may add and the kid just hooked it period.  What else do you want to know I’ll gladly answer it with only FACTS not your opinion on what or how you would have done it.  Think about it if fg team wasn’t out there and clock would have run out trying to spike the ball wonder what you gurus would be saying about coach Martin    We had a chance to win fg with ball on 7 yd line 1 Timeout as stated earlier and all you guys can do is b—— about it unbelievable.  Holler if you need anymore questions answered with facts and I’ll help you with the rules of the game as well guru—-but we may have to work on changing your name on here bc everything you posted on here has been disproven an shows maybe you just don’t like coach Martin which is fine with me and I’m sure fine with coach Martin as one of his favorite sayings in coaching over the years is he doesn’t need any friends he’s got his real ones and that’s all that matters. Check you later 

12 minutes ago, TyroneBiggums said:

Sorry if already answered but what happened to Fitzgerald? Don’t get me wrong this was a great comeback win for Meigs but unless Sweetwater is much much improved this doesn’t sound favorable for the Tigers. Good thing y’all play Marion last this year. I’m just keeping it real

I will answer. He’s got Covid is the rumor. Also I will say Sweet-water was a little better than normal. Big line. Good qb. Excellent Rb. We just hung in and kept playing hard and made a couple of big plays in the 4th quarter!  
we will improve as the season progresses