Morristown East @ Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

1 hour ago, LINEDAD said:

Knowing how bad the Volunteer game was going to be... we went to Bluefield VA/WVA and watched one of the great American Football Rivalries - Graham G-Men vs Bluefield. Fabulous stadium (both team share stadium) and atmosphere, seats 12,000, place was packed and had another 2,000 around the field. Instant classic, Graham 29-25 winner. 2 really good football teams with speed like we do not see in north east Tennessee except on rare occasions.

Prob go back to that game every season the Indians are on the road the same week. 

Hopefully the Hurricanes can put up a fight for the Indians this week. Indians 38-07

That Beaver/Graham game is on my bucket list someday.  

I went to Kentucky Saturday to check out a doubleheader.  Pikeville vs. Covington Catholic was the marquee game.  Pikeville has a QB that doesn't really throw the ball well, but has some wheels.  Had a 29 yard and a 63 yard TD run Saturday.  Covington Catholic is a 5A just south of Cincinnati.  Really good game, with Covington Catholic coming out on top.  Pikeville is 0-2 to start the season which is very rare for them, but their losses have come against 4A Corbin and now 5A Covington Catholic.  My guess is they'll be back in Lexington at Kroger Field in late November for the 1A championship game.

Would love to go check out a Belfry or Johnson Central game at some point as well.  Those are two other southeast Kentucky football dynasties.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

That Beaver/Graham game is on my bucket list someday.  

I went to Kentucky Saturday to check out a doubleheader.  Pikeville vs. Covington Catholic was the marquee game.  Pikeville has a QB that doesn't really throw the ball well, but has some wheels.  Had a 29 yard and a 63 yard TD run Saturday.  Covington Catholic is a 5A just south of Cincinnati.  Really good game, with Covington Catholic coming out on top.  Pikeville is 0-2 to start the season which is very rare for them, but their losses have come against 4A Corbin and now 5A Covington Catholic.  My guess is they'll be back in Lexington at Kroger Field in late November for the 1A championship game.

Would love to go check out a Belfry or Johnson Central game at some point as well.  Those are two other southeast Kentucky football dynasties.

I've been to Belfry several times with a good friend who used to play for them. Great atmosphere and Phillip Haywood is a legendary coach. We went into the fieldhouse before a playoff game and got to hear the pregame speech. It's easy to see why kids love playing for him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LINEDAD said:

Knowing how bad the Volunteer game was going to be... we went to Bluefield VA/WVA and watched one of the great American Football Rivalries - Graham G-Men vs Bluefield. Fabulous stadium (both team share stadium) and atmosphere, seats 12,000, place was packed and had another 2,000 around the field. Instant classic, Graham 29-25 winner. 2 really good football teams with speed like we do not see in north east Tennessee except on rare occasions.

Prob go back to that game every season the Indians are on the road the same week. 

Hopefully the Hurricanes can put up a fight for the Indians this week. Indians 38-07

Been there several times for playoff games. Love that stadium. 

• Like 2

Does anyone have information on Mo-East team? I think QB (SR) is a returning starter and tailback. 

Did you know that: Morristown East won the 1st ever Playoff State Championship in 1969..the 2nd year that it was known as Morristown East instead of Morristown Hamblen High.

MORRISTOWN EAST WON THE 1ST PLAYOFF STATE TITLE BY DEFEATING MEMPHIS SOUTHSIDE 15-12 IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. MORRISTOWN EAST LOST 1 GAME THAT SEASON…A 14-13 HOME LOSS TO DOBYNS-BENNETT. DB SCORED A TOUCHDOWN ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME TO TIE THE GAME AND THE EXTRA POINT WAS GOOD FOR THE VICTORY OVER THE EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPIONS.

Keep rolling Tribe

6 minutes ago, LINEDAD said:

Does anyone have information on Mo-East team? I think QB (SR) is a returning starter and tailback. 

Did you know that: Morristown East won the 1st ever Playoff State Championship in 1969..the 2nd year that it was known as Morristown East instead of Morristown Hamblen High.

MORRISTOWN EAST WON THE 1ST PLAYOFF STATE TITLE BY DEFEATING MEMPHIS SOUTHSIDE 15-12 IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. MORRISTOWN EAST LOST 1 GAME THAT SEASON…A 14-13 HOME LOSS TO DOBYNS-BENNETT. DB SCORED A TOUCHDOWN ON THE LAST PLAY OF THE GAME TO TIE THE GAME AND THE EXTRA POINT WAS GOOD FOR THE VICTORY OVER THE EVENTUAL STATE CHAMPIONS.

Keep rolling Tribe

I was a sophomore at the Hill and played special teams against East. They beat us 7-6. Upper East TN, the old Big 7 could really play in those days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

Mo East getting conservative for some reason and getting overpowered on the other side of the ball. DB in control but the same problems from the past decade are there again

True, Morristown East has a pretty good QB and one good receiver, that's pretty much it. As usual the DB secondary couldn't cover grandma. The pass rush is the only pass defense they have. I don't know how many penalties they've had but it's a bunch. No point in counting anymore. Such a shame because otherwise DB has a pretty solid team. 

I'll say DB did look a little better on pass defense the second half. Partly because of pressure on the QB but they did break up a couple passes. 9 penalties for 95 yards. A couple of those were 15 yard pass interference calls. One penalty cost DB a TD and one gave Mo. East a TD. Thats a 14 point swing right there. But from here on out I will consider anything under 100 yards in penalties a good game. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I'll say DB did look a little better on pass defense the second half. Partly because of pressure on the QB but they did break up a couple passes. 9 penalties for 95 yards. A couple of those were 15 yard pass interference calls. One penalty cost DB a TD and one gave Mo. East a TD. Thats a 14 point swing right there. But from here on out I will consider anything under 100 yards in penalties a good game. 

Ya wanna talk yellow flags, you wouldn't believe the Greeneville/Elizabethton game tonight.   Hope they put the stats in the newspaper tomorrow, has to be about a half mile combined.