Week 3: West Ridge @ Science Hill

I think it’ll be a close game. Both teams are a lot alike this year. They both lost a lot to graduation. They’ve been heavily penalized so far, making a lot of silly mistakes in their first two games. I don’t think either team trusts their QB to throw it. It’s obvious they are going to run the ball as much as possible. Science Hill probably has the edge there with Dukes and Chester. The Hilltoppers also get the edge (but not by much) on defense. 

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

I have no idea why, not even because I’m a Topper alumnus.  Toppers by more points due to more Wolves’ mistakes.

Exactly. The Wolves will have to eliminate the mistakes in order to just have a chance. This is a critical game in my opinion. Make or break? Maybe, maybe not but the psychy of 15, 16 and 17 y/o kids are fragile. Get in a pattern of losing and hoping to win or trying not to make a mistake creates too much crap in your head.

Edited by 83SouthRebel
  • Upvote 1

I honestly don't know what to think about this game.  Too many unanswered questions.

1. Is Elizabethton and Volunteer that bad?

2. Is Anderson County and Daniel Boone that good?

3. Who has the better running game?

And depending on the answer to that third one is probably who wins the game, since based on all reports, neither QB can throw the ball in the ocean.  Pulling for the Wolves in this one, but I'll take the he!!-Toppers in a close one.

Edited by TribalEmpire

4 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

I honestly don't know what to think about this game.  Too many unanswered questions.

And depending on the answer to that third one is probably who wins the game, since based on all reports, neither QB can throw the ball in the ocean.  Pulling for the Wolves in this one, but I'll take the he!!-Toppers in a close one.

I agree. I still don't know just how good or bad the Wolves are considering I think they have 9 turnovers the first 2 games. They can throw the ball BUT who knows at this point. Volunteer was not a Guage and Boones defense looks really good and I don't think many teams will have success against them unless they have an o-line that can help with a power game. West Ridge was having success the first drive with what I call power/misdirection but of course fumbled the ball. Did Boone adjust during that drive because i dont remember WR going back to the set they began with. Maddening to say the least.

Edited by 83SouthRebel

56 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

Volunteer.... yes.     Elizabethton....It is very difficult to imagine that Elizabethton could have such a dramatic dropoff after the success they have had in recent years, but they lost solidly to a Science Hill team that was absolutely demolished by Anderson Co.

Boone.....maybe, but the first 2 opponents were not exactly powerhouses.  I rarely talk smack about Boone on here but I do believe this year we have a team that could possibly win 2 playoff games.    Anderson County......Yes

WR......until the fumble on the first series WR was running pretty good against Boone.     SH.....have only seen snippets of game film so not sure about the Toppers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ll give this a shot.

Volunteer is bad.

Betsy is a good team but I believe what separates them from the past several Betsy squad is up front across the lines. I’m not saying they are bad, they are good, but they are not great. There skill players are good but not great. Last years 2 studs at QB and WR/RB made the others look more proficient and productive.

The Hill is not a good 6a FB team. A large school with athletes but many don’t play FB. The athletes that play FB either don’t fit the system or they don’t adjust the system to their athletes, call it coaching maybe. Their consistent strength is up front. I also wonder about their developmental  programs and younger teams.

Boone will hit you and play lights out defense. Traditionally they don’t have Roadrunners that will break the other team’s back. They EARN every offensive td, but often the better teams have a roadrunner that easily scores after the d has given up almost nothing. That is emotionally tough. I know penalties, and it is a factor particularly for a blue collar no frills FB team. Bottom line, Boone is good, very good this year.

Anderson County is as good as those cocky, blowheart rabid fans think they are. BUT they have issues. They are thin across all positions in depth. This has always been true. They are not as fast as they think they are. Defense has always been suspect and still is. Powell’s offense is suspect after injuries and Science Hill’s O is terrible. But most unusual is that the Mavs team and I believe staff take on the personality of their fans. They are over confident and freeze up under pressure. Betsy and the Devils don’t resemble their boisterous  fan base.  PS I think the Hill somewhat resembles their fan base, “theirs a game tonight?”

well that’s all folks.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1