DRAGONS @ WILDCATS

92Dragon

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

Not trying to argue Cats, just for discussion.  question:  you thought we had superior talent on the field last friday?  (I'm talking about on the field, not on the roster) If you honestly believe that, then you and I watched two different football games.  Their front seven were huge and experienced.  Our OL has 2 freshmen and a 3rd team tackle.  More talent on the field?  No way.  

I sure hope you are right about Clinton, but seriously, it's a bad time for this matchup.  With our starting secondary on the sideline (yes all four of them) and those stud transfer receivers that Clinton has, not a good matchup for us right now.  Unfortunately there is additional attrition to our OL this week.  It's not good.  I think we can win, but it's gonna be tough.

Here's what I think. When I say "talent", I'm talking about "skill players"...running backs, wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers, etc. The best running backs on the field for either team were Dozier and Hundley...did you think Bearden had a better back than either of them? The best receiver on the field (for a half) was Rogers. I don't think Bearden had anyone as good a receiver Izzy...if they did, I never saw him. Rembert is a better "athlete" than anyone I saw on the field for Bearden. I don't think the Bearden QB was any better than the OR  QB...did you? The best LB on the field was Kelly...Bearden had nobody close to him! The Bearden defensive line was better than the OR offensive line...that's for sure. When a high school team has better athletes than their opponent, they should win...at least that's what I think. It would be better to have better talent AND a better line...but if you only have one area where you're better than your opponent, I think the more important of the two would be the "skill" players. Sometimes they can make something out of nothing...but it does little good to have a better line if you don't have a talented back to give to or a talented receiver to throw it to....that's my two cents worth.

17 minutes ago, catswild said:

Here's what I think. When I say "talent", I'm talking about "skill players"...running backs, wide receivers, defensive backs, linebackers, etc. The best running backs on the field for either team were Dozier and Hundley...did you think Bearden had a better back than either of them? The best receiver on the field (for a half) was Rogers. I don't think Bearden had anyone as good a receiver Izzy...if they did, I never saw him. Rembert is a better "athlete" than anyone I saw on the field for Bearden. I don't think the Bearden QB was any better than the OR  QB...did you? The best LB on the field was Kelly...Bearden had nobody close to him! The Bearden defensive line was better than the OR offensive line...that's for sure. When a high school team has better athletes than their opponent, they should win...at least that's what I think. It would be better to have better talent AND a better line...but if you only have one area where you're better than your opponent, I think the more important of the two would be the "skill" players. Sometimes they can make something out of nothing...but it does little good to have a better line if you don't have a talented back to give to or a talented receiver to throw it to....that's my two cents worth.

Got it.  agree to disagree.  It starts and ends in the trenches.  Until we can hold our own on both sides of the line of scrimmage, doesn't matter how many skill players we have.  We had a whopping 220 yds of total offense with all our "superior athletes."  Jai and Almonte had nowhere to run. The rest of our athletes are watching on the sideline.  Rodgers played 14 minutes in the game. Izzy will be a good player for us, but best receiver on the field, not yet. My two pennies

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Got it.  agree to disagree.  It starts and ends in the trenches.  Until we can hold our own on both sides of the line of scrimmage, doesn't matter how many skill players we have.  We had a whopping 220 yds of total offense with all our "superior athletes."  Jai and Almonte had nowhere to run. The rest of our athletes are watching on the sideline.  Rodgers played 14 minutes in the game. Izzy will be a good player for us, but best receiver on the field, not yet. My two pennies

100% agree with you oridgecat!  As a former coach give me a great O and D line and I will beat your more athletic team at the skill position all day.  It’s hard to get the ball in your athletes hands when you don’t have time to with a D breathing down your neck or meeting you in the backfield when your trying to hand it off. With a great O line you don’t have to have the best athletes or even best runner at RB if the line is blowing people 5 yards off the ball or giving pass protection for you QB to have all day to find an open less athletic wr.  You’re right it does start and ends in the trenches and what I tried to tell catswild he was going to be so off when he predicted the 10-0 regular season because having superior athletes.  (Everyone knows Oak Ridge has always had the athletes but they will always live or die with the Hawgs in the trenches)

• Like 1

That's funny, every time I call, they connect me to Coach Gaddis, if he's not in I leave a message and he calls me back, that is how a voice mail works.   Coach Gaddis does read this garbage on here. 

Hey Coach Gaddis, please call over to AC and schedule them next year so these clowns can quit acting like they are trying to get in touch with you.  Thanks Coach.  

15 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

This will be a good game to watch. Knox News showing Clinton som love finally. KNews predicts Clinton to win. This I think will be higher score game. Maybe a OR 41-31

Coach just worry about your game against Fulton. Also play us next year. Answer the phone.