David Crockett at Dobyns-Bennett

TribalEmpire

15 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

If I remember correctly the East QB was 4 for 4 and over 100yrds. in the first quarter. That was not against the 2's. DB dialed up the pressure after that and the QB had to hurry his throws, if he didn't get sacked. But the DB secondary did play much better in the third quarter. The 2's in the forth did have trouble defending deep as Mo. East kept their starters in trying to score. 

We are on the same page. 2 of those 4 completions I didn’t think we covered good at all. 1 was covered up really good by our #20 and the kid just made a really good catch and then the TD pass was one of those freak things 99 times out of 100 that is a pass break up and incomplete. Just so happens it bounces right back to the kid. 

i was saying though, in the past against a couple receivers like that we would give up more than 100 and more than 1 TD. So I feel like coverage seems improved. It might not be and this ends up being a bad take, but just my opinion in this current moment. 

2 hours ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

The TD was poorly covered, receiver had his man beaten and the ball was underthrown. Bigger issue is why on earth would you be in man coverage on 3rd & 27, particularly given your personnel.

Wheel route before that was just ridiculous, safety lined up over the slot as though in man, then dropped into the flat as though playing underneath in a cover 2. Outside receiver went deep on a go route and took the outside corner out of the play, safety passed the slot off to absolutely no one, and there wasn't even an underneath route in front of him. I believe this was 3rd & very long as well. There are major, major issues in the DB secondary (again), both in personnel and in scheme, and Greeneville will absolutely shred them. Don't know anything about Crockett so don't know if it will matter this week.

I also don't know why other teams don't open it up more against DB. West Ridge spent the first quarter last year running winged T into a brick wall. Then they isolated DBs corner to the field against their #1 and just went after him mercilessly. Might have gotten the W if not for a phantom roughing the passer call in their own end zone. Science Hill threw the ball all over them in 45 degrees and a monsoon.

I honestly don't know the answers. It's been this way for 20 plus years. Obviously, the players are not being coached correctly.  Sure DB has had a handful of players that went on to play Division 1 and a few that have made it to pro ball. But those guys were just super athletes and probably would have made it with zero coaching anyway. Any time DB goes up against a team with a good offensive line a good QB and at least one good receiver their going to get torched. Pretty much the only pass defense they have is the pass rush up front to get to the QB or make him rush his passes. That works pretty well against most local team that don't have a very good offensive line. Year before last when DB went up against Maryville in the playoffs was a good example. Maryville could have literally thrown a TD pass on every offensive play if they wanted. Thats how wide open their receivers were. If not for such a weak secondary DB could have won that game. Maryville was scoring so fast on pass plays their defense was wore out in the fourth quarter. 

49 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I honestly don't know the answers. It's been this way for 20 plus years. Obviously, the players are not being coached correctly.  Sure DB has had a handful of players that went on to play Division 1 and a few that have made it to pro ball. But those guys were just super athletes and probably would have made it with zero coaching anyway. Any time DB goes up against a team with a good offensive line a good QB and at least one good receiver their going to get torched. Pretty much the only pass defense they have is the pass rush up front to get to the QB or make him rush his passes. That works pretty well against most local team that don't have a very good offensive line. Year before last when DB went up against Maryville in the playoffs was a good example. Maryville could have literally thrown a TD pass on every offensive play if they wanted. Thats how wide open their receivers were. If not for such a weak secondary DB could have won that game. Maryville was scoring so fast on pass plays their defense was wore out in the fourth quarter. 

I was @ the Elizabethton/Greeneville game.... when DB plays Greeneville in a few weeks they will measure the total combined penalties in quarter mile increments.     BTW, Greeneville has only 2 pass plays, either chuck it 50 yards downfield or a little screen straight down the line of scrimmage, and there is not much in between.   Not sure how that matches up against the DB secondary.    Greeneville seems to have some talented receivers but they don't get the ball nearly enough.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

I was @ the Elizabethton/Greeneville game.... when DB plays Greeneville in a few weeks they will measure the total combined penalties in quarter mile increments.     BTW, Greeneville has only 2 pass plays, either chuck it 50 yards downfield or a little screen straight down the line of scrimmage, and there is not much in between.   Not sure how that matches up against the DB secondary.    Greeneville seems to have some talented receivers but they don't get the ball nearly enough.

I know DB traditionally has trouble with penalties but I'm hearing a lot of teams in upper east tn. with the same problems this year. Could it be upper east tn. refs.? I know of four 15 yard penalties against DB this year that were called from a ref that was at least 30 yards from where the infraction was and at least that far behind the play. That looks suspect to me. All four penalties called back huge gains and two TD's if I remember correctly. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo

5 hours ago, blazer1set said:

If you like X’s and O’s Blazer1set then you would know that Betsy ran a 3 man front because Greeneville stud tight end/defensive end was out with an injury. He’s in and you would see the hot pass with the safeties helping on the deep sideline routes. You probably noticed that the deep and short posts were taken away because formationally Betsy sat monster backs OLB’ 5-7 yards inside the outside hash and and 5 and 5 off the tackle.  It also took away the outside run.  They still rushed for about 180 yards and held Betsy to 67 yards total, maybe. What you saw was fairly correct but don’t present it as that’s all they do. PENALTIES behind the play cost 2 tds.

Edited by noonesfool

13 minutes ago, TriCitiesRebels said:

If it were me, and I had the same problem year-in year-out, irrespective of personnel, I would play 2 high safeties and keep everything in front of me. Make everyone go 8 or more plays to score and run the ball into the strength of my team. Roll an extra safety up for a team like Boone, but don't lose the rivalry game on a handful of big plays. Wouldn't matter against the big dogs from Knoxville who just have me outgunned, but maybe I'd beat Science Hill one a decade or so. No reason for that series to go the way it has.

The science Hill thing is a weird one. I think DB beat them 18 years in a row, then Stacy Carter became their head Coach. I don't think Carter ever beat DB when he was at South. Yet since Carter became head coach at Science Hill DB has only beat them once. And it's not because Science Hill is a better team with Carter because their record is no better than it ever was. It's more like DB's game plan goes stupid when they play the Toppers. 

11 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I know DB traditionally has trouble with penalties but I'm hearing a lot of teams in upper east tn. with the same problems this year. Could it be upper east tn. refs.? I know of four 15 yard penalties against DB this year that were called from a ref that was at least 30 yards from where the infraction was and at least that far behind the play. That looks suspect to me. All four penalties called back huge gains and two TD's if I remember correctly. 

It seems as if there has been an emphasis on penalties from officials this year. Every game I’ve watched and or read about is littered with yellow flags. Seems ridiculous 

11 hours ago, noonesfool said:

If you like X’s and O’s Blazer1set then you would know that Betsy ran a 3 man front because Greeneville stud tight end/defensive end was out with an injury. He’s in and you would see the hot pass with the safeties helping on the deep sideline routes. You probably noticed that the deep and short posts were taken away because formationally Betsy sat monster backs OLB’ 5-7 yards inside the outside hash and and 5 and 5 off the tackle.  It also took away the outside run.  They still rushed for about 180 yards and held Betsy to 67 yards total, maybe. What you saw was fairly correct but don’t present it as that’s all they do. PENALTIES behind the play cost 2 tds.

I did not know Greeneville's TE was out but that would explain a lot of things.    If Greeneville can clean up the penalties then they have a shot at the title.    I felt so bad for that kid who ran back 2 punts only to see them both wiped off.    One of those holding flags was nowhere even close to the runner, so it was either a bad call or a completely unnecessary hold.

DB is a strong team and getting stronger and deeper...it doesn't matter that they have played a weak schedule...they would be 3-0 if they had played the 3 other best teams in the area instead. Remember, this schedule was set in the height of Covid, so it was planned to stay as local as possible for this and last season. Next season, the Indians will have a fantastic schedule guaranteed. I am truly hoping for a home and away with Lord Botetourt (Roanoke). DB had a long history of playing Roanoke before the 70's and the teams have scrimmaged at Emory and Henry the past 2 pre-seasons.

I never thought this team would be as good as Zane Whitson's Sr team... and nobody is as good a QB as Zane in the last 25 years. But with that said, this team is deep with good players behind good players. 28 Sr's, 28 JR's and 28 Soph's. 

This is a well coached team. Versatile offense with speed and a good O-Line. Solid D, very solid from upfront and the backfield. Good kicking game as well. #42 makes the opponents have 1st and 80 yards after every kickoff. 

So it is easy to say Roll Tribe... Indians destroy Crockett - 42-00

Agree that the team seems to be really playing "as a team" and depth is there across the board. Game 6 forward will tell the tale though.  And not at LINEDAD but in several threads folks are complaining about the schedule - -I don't want to see them playing Crockett and Volunteer either, but you have to play who will play you.  When the region was redone(and it would be worse if Wm Blount hadn't asked to move over) the Knoxville schools that had been in the region wouldn't play DB.  Alcoa refused to redo the contract.  Have asked Maryville and Elizabethton for years and they wont agree to play.  These 2 years came down to Volunteer or 9 games(which makes no sense for Betsy not to want to play because they only have 9).  

28 minutes ago, gritsngravy said:

Agree that the team seems to be really playing "as a team" and depth is there across the board. Game 6 forward will tell the tale though.  And not at LINEDAD but in several threads folks are complaining about the schedule - -I don't want to see them playing Crockett and Volunteer either, but you have to play who will play you.  When the region was redone(and it would be worse if Wm Blount hadn't asked to move over) the Knoxville schools that had been in the region wouldn't play DB.  Alcoa refused to redo the contract.  Have asked Maryville and Elizabethton for years and they wont agree to play.  These 2 years came down to Volunteer or 9 games(which makes no sense for Betsy not to want to play because they only have 9).  

I wonder the reasons for these three teams not wanting to play? Can't be that they don't want to take a loss. We haven't even been competitive with Maryville except for that one game a couple years ago. We did fair better against Alcoa but still couldn't come within a couple td's in any game that I can remember. Elizabethton would of beat us the past three years for sure. I think we would win that game this year but it wouldn't be easy. DB usually brings a good crowd. So I don't know.