MOVING GAMES TO THURSDAY NIGHT

dawgs82

1 hour ago, dawgs82 said:

With weather coming in late Friday, will any games be moved to Thursday? I remember Powell and Halls having a game on a Thursday night and the tropical storm coming through back around 2003, and I think they had moved it back to beat the storm. No telling when the rain will hit.

That Powell/Halls game was the Hurricane Ivan game in 2004.  

The remnants of Ivan were supposed to come through on Friday, so Coach Stephens decided to move the game to Thursday, which by the way was a TV game on the old CSS station, and CSS agreed to televise on Thursday instead of Friday.  

If you remember, the storm ended up getting here early - yep, Thursday afternoon, and that game was played in a driving rainstorm.  

Halls took the kickoff and drove it to the endzone running the football, and then tried to throw it in to the end zone and Trey Lucas' pass got knocked down by the wind and Tyler Williams picked it off and kept Halls off the scoreboard.  

There was virtually no offense between either team after that until late in the 4th quarter.  Pretty much nothing but QB keepers and handing the ball off because the conditions deteriorated so quickly.  Powell finally got in scoring position late and Cody Watts found Jay Courtney for the only TD of the game and Powell won 7-0.

To this day my son says that was his favorite memory of his high school football career.  Most of the game was played in ankle deep mud and at that time Powell/Halls meant more than just a W or L in the standings.  

Great memory there.  

Edited by HTV

20 minutes ago, HTV said:

That Powell/Halls game was the Hurricane Ivan game in 2004.  

The remnants of Ivan were supposed to come through on Friday, so Coach Stephens decided to move the game to Thursday, which by the way was a TV game on the old CSS station, and CSS agreed to televise on Thursday instead of Friday.  

If you remember, the storm ended up getting here early - yep, Thursday afternoon, and that game was played in a driving rainstorm.  

Halls took the kickoff and drove it to the endzone running the football, and then tried to throw it in to the end zone and Trey Lucas' pass got knocked down by the wind and Tyler Williams picked it off and kept Halls off the scoreboard.  

There was virtually no offense between either team after that until late in the 4th quarter.  Pretty much nothing but QB keepers and handing the ball off because the conditions deteriorated so quickly.  Powell finally got in scoring position late and Cody Watts found Jay Courtney for the only TD of the game and Powell won 7-0.

To this day my son says that was his favorite memory of his high school football career.  Most of the game was played in ankle deep mud and at that time Powell/Halls meant more than just a W or L in the standings.  

Great memory there.  

Rain wasn't coming down, was going East to West, or North to South, LOL I just remember it was side ways. THE WHOLE GAME! Kids would make tackles and slide 20 feet. And the funny thing was the stands were full, everyone soaked but loving the whole mess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dawgs82 said:

Rain wasn't coming down, was going East to West, or North to South, LOL I just remember it was side ways. THE WHOLE GAME! Kids would make tackles and slide 20 feet. And the funny thing was the stands were full, everyone soaked but loving the whole mess.

And if you remember,  the storm passed thru during the night and Friday ended up being a beautiful September day.  And the field never really recovered from playing in that quagmire the rest of the year.