Lawrence County Travels to Tullahoma

TTownFan50

5 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Disappointing Loss. . I really thought Tullahoma would win this one. I guess that’s why you play the games. 

Tullahoma definitely had the opportunities to win and probably should have. When THS got the short field off the turnover and drove to the one, you've got to punch it in. I realize the field goal gives you the lead at 10-7 but I think going for it on 4th wouldn't have been a bad call. If you score great! If you don't, your opponent is trapped on the one. It was too early in the contest to be settling for field goals. Credit to LC they made enough plays to win. 

Could Tullahoma not have scored with a simple under the center, wedge, QB sneak?? Why coaches shy away from this now is beyond me. If your o-line and QB can't sneak for a yard, you probably don't deserve to win anyways. 

Tough loss!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PercyPeabody said:

Tullahoma definitely had the opportunities to win and probably should have. When THS got the short field off the turnover and drove to the one, you've got to punch it in. I realize the field goal gives you the lead at 10-7 but I think going for it on 4th wouldn't have been a bad call. If you score great! If you don't, your opponent is trapped on the one. It was too early in the contest to be settling for field goals. Credit to LC they made enough plays to win. 

Could Tullahoma not have scored with a simple under the center, wedge, QB sneak?? Why coaches shy away from this now is beyond me. If your o-line and QB can't sneak for a yard, you probably don't deserve to win anyways. 

Tough loss

Tullahoma has played two very weak teams the week before.  They Change QBs against weak teams to make a kid look good.  They needed a running QB last night to beat LC.  Coaching is all over the place.  QBs need help.   Very poorly coached team.  you can Blame it on being young or whatever but that is a cop out. 6weeks in and no improvement but beating up on winless teams.    They had lots of time to play last year between Friday nights and Mondays.  They are just not coached very well.  No Leadership and No respect from players.  

LC was pretty weak and the QB for tullahoma struggled.  Several drops but several times overthrowing a receiver and never running the football.  If u don't have a drop back offense you need a running QB.  But If you just use ur running game u could have slowed the game down and won this game easily.  You have all week to prepare for a weak opponent and that is what you produce.  Hard to believe you can be that poor after 4 really successful seasons.  Good thing is u can make the season look respectful with a 4-6 record beating a horrible Glencliff team.  I guess the teams u end up beating will have 1-2 wins on the year total.  

20 minutes ago, Cakeman said:

Tullahoma has played two very weak teams the week before.  They Change QBs against weak teams to make a kid look good.  They needed a running QB last night to beat LC.  Coaching is all over the place.  QBs need help.   Very poorly coached team.  you can Blame it on being young or whatever but that is a cop out. 6weeks in and no improvement but beating up on winless teams.    They had lots of time to play last year between Friday nights and Mondays.  They are just not coached very well.  No Leadership and No respect from players.  

LC was pretty weak and the QB for tullahoma struggled.  Several drops but several times overthrowing a receiver and never running the football.  If u don't have a drop back offense you need a running QB.  But If you just use ur running game u could have slowed the game down and won this game easily.  You have all week to prepare for a weak opponent and that is what you produce.  Hard to believe you can be that poor after 4 really successful seasons.  Good thing is u can make the season look respectful with a 4-6 record beating a horrible Glencliff team.  I guess the teams u end up beating will have 1-2 wins on the year total.  

I'm definitely not blaming it on the youth movement. Even with 22 graduating, a 6-4 regular season was VERY attainable. Tullahoma plays in a weak region with half the teams very subpar. 

You also make a great point. Who has Tullahoma defeated to make you think there is promise going forward? They beat Shelbyville who just got their first victory last night. They have beaten Montgomery Central and Hillwood who have 2 wins a piece. It'll be interesting to see Tullahoma's performance against Greenbrier. 

16 minutes ago, Cakeman said:

Can we give the coaches a break. . These same guys won a State Championship. Yes Olive is gone but he’s still got an office in the training facility and serves as AD. He’s overseeing the program. Does anyone think they’d be any better with him directly running the program? If my memory is correct i believe they lost 20+ games in a row several years ago but they gave him a mulligan because he’d been successful for decades. I still believe Sisk is the right head coach. He’s working his tail off with these kids. Lots of games are determined by making a few plays. Ultimately the kids just haven’t made a few plays this year when it counted. This team would beat the socks off those o’fer teams 5yrs ago. Yes it’s sort of a down year but the coaches aren’t the problem. Let’s face it they’re just nowhere near as good athletically as the 2 previous seasons. 

1 hour ago, Ttown58 said:

I know Coach Olive, I can tell you he is firmly behind Coach Sisk, and so is the school administration. I think Coach Sisk, needs to add an offensive line coach in the off season to his staff.  Longtime Offensive line coach Mo Torres retired last year. They shuffled staff around to fill his position.

Agreed. . He had a great guy hired but he took a job at James Clemons in Alabama. He loved the Tullahoma Schools for his kids. But  the other job paid a lot better apparently. 

Edited by IPOPU2022
update

2 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Can we give the coaches a break. . These same guys won a State Championship. Yes Olive is gone but he’s still got an office in the training facility and serves as AD. He’s overseeing the program. Does anyone think they’d be any better with him directly running the program? If my memory is correct i believe they lost 20+ games in a row several years ago but they gave him a mulligan because he’d been successful for decades. I still believe Sisk is the right head coach. He’s working his tail off with these kids. Lots of games are determined by making a few plays. Ultimately the kids just haven’t made a few plays this year when it counted. This team would beat the socks off those o’fer teams 5yrs ago. Yes it’s sort of a down year but the coaches aren’t the problem. Let’s face it they’re just nowhere near as good athletically as the 2 previous seasons. 

No one in their right mind is saying that Coach Olive would do any better with this bunch. Let's be real. Last year's success was athletic ability overcoming mediocre coaching. Proof of that is the year before the state title. Had great talent that year but not quite enough to overcome poor coaching against Nolensville. When teams lack as much talent due to graduation, suspensions, or whatever QUALITY coaches use schematics. The issue fans have this year is with the coaches not playing to the strengths that this team has. I don't doubt the coaches are trying hard. I don't doubt they are there at the field day in and day out. I don't doubt they are working their tails off. With lesser talent you must adjust your scheme to win ballgames. It's not like the cupboard is completely bare. 

3 minutes ago, Ttown58 said:

A disappointing year to say the least. Coach Sisk, needs to bring  in an offensive coach in the offseason. Longtime offensive coach Mo Torres, retired before season started. They have had to shuffle staff around, this year. A lot of issues to work on this offseason. Also more than likely we're going to 5A,  who knows where the TSSAA will place Tullahoma. 

Hopefully additions can be made. I don't think I'm being over critical. This should have been a six win team that made the playoffs. That was the ceiling. No one expected a repeat title or anything. The season has been disappointing but a move to 5A would be nice for those fans that would enjoy playing Lincoln Co, Franklin Co, and others. The away trips would be more enjoyable. Nothing against Nashville schools...just hate the traffic. 

On 10/15/2022 at 1:07 PM, PercyPeabody said:

No one in their right mind is saying that Coach Olive would do any better with this bunch. Let's be real. Last year's success was athletic ability overcoming mediocre coaching. Proof of that is the year before the state title. Had great talent that year but not quite enough to overcome poor coaching against Nolensville. When teams lack as much talent due to graduation, suspensions, or whatever QUALITY coaches use schematics. The issue fans have this year is with the coaches not playing to the strengths that this team has. I don't doubt the coaches are trying hard. I don't doubt they are there at the field day in and day out. I don't doubt they are working their tails off. With lesser talent you must adjust your scheme to win ballgames. It's not like the cupboard is completely bare. 

Can you speak on the strengths of this team? Let's us know please. Matter of fact, let the coaches know so they can fix it. Or, like i said a few weeks ago, put in for a coaching position. The real problem i see with this community is the up and down support. When Tullahoma was on top everyone, well except @Cakeman, was on board talking about how great the kids were and what a job the coaches did. Now, it's a tad bit different, the coaches can't coach, the players aren't in the right position. Stop the nonsense! Where else would number 8 play?he's a Jr, has play nothing but QB all his life, where does he go? The difference I see, those kids from last year wanted to win, they worked in the weight room, they were hungry for success.  Does anyone see that in this team? has their bodies changed from the start of the season until now? The last couple of years we saw the team get strong as they went on through the season. Most of these kids have seen what it takes to be a state champion. A program doesn't change over night. Kids come and go. You can coach your tail off but if you don't have the kids that want to work and have the mentality to play the game of football, your team isn't going to be very good.

1 hour ago, yom0mma5favfan69 said:

Can you speak on the strengths of this team? Let's us know please. Matter of fact, let the coaches know so they can fix it. Or, like i said a few weeks ago, put in for a coaching position. The real problem i see with this community is the up and down support. When Tullahoma was on top everyone, well except @Cakeman, was on board talking about how great the kids were and what a job the coaches did. Now, it's a tad bit different, the coaches can't coach, the players aren't in the right position. Stop the nonsense! Where else would number 8 play?he's a Jr, has play nothing but QB all his life, where does he go? The difference I see, those kids from last year wanted to win, they worked in the weight room, they were hungry for success.  Does anyone see that in this team? has their bodies changed from the start of the season until now? The last couple of years we saw the team get strong as they went on through the season. Most of these kids have seen what it takes to be a state champion. A program doesn't change over night. Kids come and go. You can coach your tail off but if you don't have the kids that want to work and have the mentality to play the game of football, your team isn't going to be very good.

This argument gets old. The coaches KNOW the strengths. ONE MAJOR strength not utilized last Friday was SPEED. Tullahoma was SO MUCH faster than LC. Run your sweeps, screens with a trips set, and counters. Put the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Why do we not run more misdirection and play action? Play action is way more effective under center, but that's for another discussion. They just continue to gameplan like they had last year's team. Knowing what to do and refusing to do it is on them. You'll probably think I'm bragging but I think my critique is credible. I played and coached on the high school level with several region titles, and I have a ring to my credit just like Coach Olive. I try to get on here and actually give my reasoning behind what I see from the stands instead of just blasting things on here just to let out frustrations. I try to create banter because I like to see what other's opinions are. The ones that just yell that we need a new quarterback or whatever without an explanation are ignored by me as well. 

I do agree with you on the support of the Tullahoma community. I've been to games this year. I've seen the stadium half full. That's on other folks. Not on me. I've not once said anything about the quarterback. You need to reply to the person that posted it. As far as the excuse of not having a good team despite coaching "tails off", no one in their right mind expected a state title run. THIS team should have won 6 games easily due to decent talent returning and terrible competition in the region. They should have been a playoff team with a first round exit at worst. There is still an outside shot of getting in and exceeding expectations which I hope they do. 

Also the silly point that actually weakens your argument is the kids don't look stronger as the year goes on due to not being interested or working hard in the weight room. THAT'S COACHING. You make the players workout in the weight room in front of you. A coach should be at the 3 major stations making sure reps are put in. If this isn't the case, it's just laziness. I hope the team rises to the occasion and finishes strong. 

I'll stop my critiquing for the year and turn it over to some on here that are apparently more knowledgable than me. I wanted to see what all the hype was about this Franklin kid for Cornersville High so I'm going out to see how he fairs against Moore County. 

Edited by PercyPeabody
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yom0mma5favfan69 said:

I've seen him play QB.  3 times this year, as a matter of fact, and several times last season.  He's an athletic kid, but not a QB.  If you watched any 2nd half games or JV games last year, you knew then, that he's not a QB.  My point is, you don't leave healthy athletic kids on the sideline.  Find a place for him.  I've watched a coach of two on that staff turn kids from a backup at one position into a starter at another.  Kid has to want it too.

21 minutes ago, PercyPeabody said:

This argument gets old. The coaches KNOW the strengths. ONE MAJOR strength not utilized last Friday was SPEED. Tullahoma was SO MUCH faster than LC. Run your sweeps, screens with a trips set, and counters. Put the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Why do we not run more misdirection and play action? Play action is way more effective under center, but that's for another discussion. They just continue to gameplan like they had last year's team. Knowing what to do and refusing to do it is on them. You'll probably think I'm bragging but I think my critique is credible. I played and coached on the high school level with several region titles, and I have a ring to my credit just like Coach Olive. I try to get on here and actually give my reasoning behind what I see from the stands instead of just blasting things on here just to let out frustrations. I try to create banter because I like to see what other's opinions are. The ones that just yell that we need a new quarterback or whatever without an explanation are ignored by me as well. 

I do agree with you on the support of the Tullahoma community. I've been to games this year. I've seen the stadium half full. That's on other folks. Not on me. I've not once said anything about the quarterback. You need to reply to the person that posted it. As far as the excuse of not having a good team despite coaching "tails off", no one in their right mind expected a state title run. THIS team should have won 6 games easily due to decent talent returning and terrible competition in the region. They should have been a playoff team with a first round exit at worst. There is still an outside shot of getting in and exceeding expectations which I hope they do. 

Also the silly point that actually weakens your argument is the kids don't look stronger as the year goes on due to not being interested or working hard in the weight room. THAT'S COACHING. You make the players workout in the weight room in front of you. A coach should be at the 3 major stations making sure reps are put in. If this isn't the case, it's just laziness. I hope the team rises to the occasion and finishes strong. 

I'll stop my critiquing for the year and turn it over to some on here that are apparently more knowledgable than me. I wanted to see what all the hype was about this Franklin kid for Cornersville High so I'm going out to see how he fairs against Moore County. 

Good observation and analysis.  Well said.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, Cakeman said:

Some strong and valid comments.  I believe youth and inexperience, from a coaching standpoint, are more visible offensively because of the loss of talent that could cover up coaching mistakes.  Of the 3 aspects of the game, Tullahoma's weakness is definitely the offense.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PercyPeabody said:

I said from the beginning that 5 wins would be a successful season, I wasn’t counting on Shelbyville being so weak, so 6 wins could have been a achieved.  It has been very disappointing that the offensive play caller did not adjust throughout the year to play into these player’s strengths.  The offensive game plan and play calling is the problem….the defense has played pretty well!!!

• Like 1