D2 Divisions Next Year

ChuckDSanAntonio

here is from Mainstreet Preps...looks like Ensworth has decided to stay in AAA and....BA??  Would they really choose to play in AA with LA, Ensworth and MBA in AAA?

Lipscomb Academy’s fall enrollment of 479 students initially placed it as the fourth-largest Division II-AA school. However, schools had until Monday to notify the TSSAA office if they wish to play in a higher classification.

Other confirmed members of the Division II-AAA football classification include Baylor, Briarcrest Christian, Christian Brothers, Ensworth, Father Ryan, Knoxville Catholic, McCallie, Memphis University School and Montgomery Bell Academy. More schools could join them when the final TSSAA classification lists for 2023-25 are published later this week.

3 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

these are my guesses..

- I think it's a coin flip for JP2.  would be funny if they went down and got to play FRA and their old coach who just left them. 

I am hearing Pope may drop due to budget and travel schedule - would alleviate traveling to Chatt/Knox or Memphis schools. 

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

BA remains in AAA

Division II-AAA: Baylor, Brentwood Academy, Briarcrest, Christian Bros., Ensworth, Father Ryan, Lipscomb, Knox Catholic, McCallie, MBA, MUS. That's a heck of a football classification.

Keep all these teams in one region for scheduling purposes. Let it go back to the way it was in the late 90s. 

10 hours ago, O3t said:

MBA, MUS, McCallie, Ryan, BA, Baylor, CBHS.

yep, that was the original "Super 7" from '97.  11 teams is not ideal, but looking at the classification #s, there isn't a logical solution I can see to add more teams.  Of the ones I'm familiar with, only JP2 and CPA would seem to fit the bill as borderline D2-AAA members from the AA group.  Looks like the sweet spot for a lot of private schools is 300-500 students.  Going from 500 to 750 or more involves big capital campaigns, bigger budgets, etc., and enrollment numbers can be very fickle.  For those that aspire to punch above their weight like Ensworth, BA, and LA, you have to be in a major population center and make a big time investment in football that will make you a destination for aspiring football players.