DII - A final week standings & decision games this coming week

CougarDadx2

I'm not near the smart man that @silverpie is, but here goes:

East

Winner of MTCS @ Friendship is #1, loser gets #2 (Thursday night game)

Kings is #3

Winner of Lakeway @ Webb gets #4

Middle

Winner of DCA @ Nashville Christian is #1, loser get #2

Clarksville Academy is #3

Winner of Columbia Academy @ GCA get #4

West

USJ #1

JC #2

TCA #3

Fayette Academy #4

Tipton Rosemark #5

3 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

I'm not near the smart man that @silverpie is, but here goes:

East

Winner of MTCS @ Friendship is #1, loser gets #2 (Thursday night game)

Kings is #3

Winner of Lakeway @ Webb gets #4

Middle

Winner of DCA @ Nashville Christian is #1, loser get #2

Clarksville Academy is #3

Winner of Columbia Academy @ GCA get #4

West

USJ #1

JC #2

TCA #3

Fayette Academy #4

Tipton Rosemark #5

There is one whacked out possibility in the west.  But if it happens, it's the end of the world as we know it. Otherwise you are spot on.

Edited by ReitzFan

48 minutes ago, YBsostupid said:

The one thing the playoff system needs is to not allow teams that are 4-6 or worse to go to the playoffs.  It makes week 1 of the playoffs very boring and meaningless as well as the better team risking a crucial injury in a game that should never have been played.

I agree with you that there always seems to be a few teams that back their way into a playoff spot and have no business going to play a higher seed. However, making a blanket statement like this is just silly. 

What about a team that starts tons of young players and who started out slow and progressively got better as the season went on? I'm sure that coaching staff is excited about the opportunity for his young players to get playoff experience and see what it takes to win in the post-season, even if it means getting thumped in the process. 

What about the seniors on that 4-6 team, who get to go wear that jersey one more time and represent their school and go play one more football game before their career is over for good? 

What about a team like Trinity Christian, who will likely finish the year at 4-6. Played a tough out of region schedule, but will be a 3-seed and might could cause some problems for some higher seeded teams depending on who they draw. Maybe one of the more dangerous offenses in D2-A this year. You keeping them out?

11 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

I agree with you that there always seems to be a few teams that back their way into a playoff spot and have no business going to play a higher seed. However, making a blanket statement like this is just silly. 

What about a team that starts tons of young players and who started out slow and progressively got better as the season went on? I'm sure that coaching staff is excited about the opportunity for his young players to get playoff experience and see what it takes to win in the post-season, even if it means getting thumped in the process. 

What about the seniors on that 4-6 team, who get to go wear that jersey one more time and represent their school and go play one more football game before their career is over for good? 

What about a team like Trinity Christian, who will likely finish the year at 4-6. Played a tough out of region schedule, but will be a 3-seed and might could cause some problems for some higher seeded teams depending on who they draw. Maybe one of the more dangerous offenses in D2-A this year. You keeping them out?

It is too diluted, regardless of record. Long ago and not so far away - an 8 - 2 and 9 - 1 season did not get you to the playoffs. I would like to see top 2 in each region and be done. But I know TSSAA is looking for the $$.

12 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

Yes I would keep them out.  These boys need to be prepared for the real world and the real world doesn't work like that.  Perhaps you do not work in the real world.  The fact is that they just should have won one more game.  It would be relatively easy to use your logic to have every team, regardless of record, 0-10, come on in, because you were playing a little bit better that last game and you have a few seniors on the team.  

Just give every team a gold ball.  Teach them that and see how they do out there the next 40 years of their lives.

12 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

You know, I looked up your schedule and your claim of "one of the more dangerous offenses in D2-A".  The facts just do not back up your claim.  From what I can see TCA played one good team a close game this year and that was against JC.  All the close losses and wins were against teams that are considered to be exceptionally bad this year.  For every game against teams doing well this year (with the exception of that one JC game) TCA got beat down pretty bad.  I guess its easy to just throw a claim out there regardless of its validity.  I think it is important that when that happens it gets called out.

1 hour ago, YBsostupid said:

You know, I looked up your schedule and your claim of "one of the more dangerous offenses in D2-A".  The facts just do not back up your claim.  From what I can see TCA played one good team a close game this year and that was against JC.  All the close losses and wins were against teams that are considered to be exceptionally bad this year.  For every game against teams doing well this year (with the exception of that one JC game) TCA got beat down pretty bad.  I guess its easy to just throw a claim out there regardless of its validity.  I think it is important that when that happens it gets called out.

I guess a 13 point loss to the 2 seed in the east counts as a beat down. Also, put up significantly more yardage against Union City than USJ did. I know it wasn't a close game...but that was never my original argument was it? Just said their offense was dangerous. 

The fact they played JC close just proves my point of teams getting better as the year goes on. If our goal is to have entertaining playoff games, then excluding teams who struggled earlier in the season and now have turned it on seems counter-intuitive. 

And of course I don't live in the real world. I'm commenting on a CoachT message board. 

18 hours ago, YBsostupid said:

The one thing the playoff system needs is to not allow teams that are 4-6 or worse to go to the playoffs.  It makes week 1 of the playoffs very boring and meaningless as well as the better team risking a crucial injury in a game that should never have been played.

I think you should have to be .500 or better to play a playoff game.  It needs to mean something.....

43 minutes ago, swagulator said:

I think you should have to be .500 or better to play a playoff game.  It needs to mean something.....

.500 in region play? Absolutely, can totally get behind that. Fail to see how a team's games outside of region should affect their playoff standing, though. 

9 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

I guess a 13 point loss to the 2 seed in the east counts as a beat down. Also, put up significantly more yardage against Union City than USJ did. I know it wasn't a close game...but that was never my original argument was it? Just said their offense was dangerous. 

The fact they played JC close just proves my point of teams getting better as the year goes on. If our goal is to have entertaining playoff games, then excluding teams who struggled earlier in the season and now have turned it on seems counter-intuitive. 

And of course I don't live in the real world. I'm commenting on a CoachT message board. 

The record is going to be 4-6.  No matter how you spin it, it is still 4-6.  It doesn't matter to me if its USJ, TCA, MBA, Trenton, Milan, etc.  4-6 is not a good enough record to be playoff bound.  Also, yards gained against a teams JV is a deceptive way to quote stats.  The main thing is, 4-6 is a poor won/loss record for the season.  Period.

5 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

.500 in region play? Absolutely, can totally get behind that. Fail to see how a team's games outside of region should affect their playoff standing, though. 

Because of the obvious.  It reflects the overall quality of the team.  Maybe you are not aware of this so I will spell it out for you.  4-6 is a LOSING record.  Let that soak in some.  Ponder on it for a day or two.  A 4-6 team is NOT A GOOD TEAM.  Once in a blue moon a 4-6 team will make a deep playoff run but not anywhere close to enough to say a team with a losing record can be playoff illegible.  Of course, the way things are now, they can.  That's a rule that the great majority of people out here that pay to see high school football think should be changed.